Woman Removed From Southwest Flight Due To Offensive Shirt

Kathianne,

I think that as long as your shirt isn't threatening someone or some group then you have every right to wear it.

AND

Any private business you attempt to utlize has every right to react to you as they see fit. A private business owner can tell you that your shirt is offensive to his patrons and you must cover it...a private airline can tell you it doesn't want you to fly their friendly skies...I believe that the person whose services you are enjoying has the right to say "Get Lost" if you are offending them or their patrons...

However,

What I'm still a little unsure of is why the airline chose to be so offended by the shirt. If the shirt had said, "Fuck Terrorists!" or "Fuck Mean People," would the level of offense been the same? Does the President have a safety net that protects him from all forms of speech, not just those that threaten him?

Please don't get me wrong, I find the shirt disgusting. I find people who do not at bare minimum respect the OFFICE of the President of the United States to be ignorant idiots. But...I also REALLY REALLY value freedom of speech, and want to make sure that the offense was about the swear word...not because the guy I voted for got slammed.

Subway put out an ad recently for their new chicken sandwiches...one had a French theme...and it showed a chicken dressed up like Napolean with the caption "The French and Chickens...always go together" or something like that. Now...many French people are HIGHLY offended...so Subway has considered pulling the ad.

So heres the question...When/Where does "I'm offended" override free speech...and when/where do you just have to get over it???

Gem said:
Kathianne,

I think that as long as your shirt isn't threatening someone or some group then you have every right to wear it.

AND

Any private business you attempt to utlize has every right to react to you as they see fit. A private business owner can tell you that your shirt is offensive to his patrons and you must cover it...a private airline can tell you it doesn't want you to fly their friendly skies...I believe that the person whose services you are enjoying has the right to say "Get Lost" if you are offending them or their patrons...

However,

What I'm still a little unsure of is why the airline chose to be so offended by the shirt. If the shirt had said, "Fuck Terrorists!" or "Fuck Mean People," would the level of offense been the same? Does the President have a safety net that protects him from all forms of speech, not just those that threaten him?

Please don't get me wrong, I find the shirt disgusting. I find people who do not at bare minimum respect the OFFICE of the President of the United States to be ignorant idiots. But...I also REALLY REALLY value freedom of speech, and want to make sure that the offense was about the swear word...not because the guy I voted for got slammed.

Subway put out an ad recently for their new chicken sandwiches...one had a French theme...and it showed a chicken dressed up like Napolean with the caption "The French and Chickens...always go together" or something like that. Now...many French people are HIGHLY offended...so Subway has considered pulling the ad.

So heres the question...When/Where does "I'm offended" override free speech...and when/where do you just have to get over it???

They talked about this on the radio this morning. The problem Southwest had with with the word "fuck" - nothing else.

Subway is bowing to pressure and thought of revenue loss.

Gem said:
Kathianne,

QUOTE=Gem]Kathianne,

So heres the question...When/Where does "I'm offended" override free speech...and when/where do you just have to get over it???[/QUOTE

It never overrides free speech but, and here is the but if you are offending someone in a place of business the business has the right to ask you to stop your behavior and not offend its other customers. You have the right to say and ware whatever you want "IN PUBLIC" but when you go to a private residence or business they have the right to not put up with your nonsense. That is their right of freedom of expression.

The thing to remember and I think this is the most profound statement I have ever come across in the US.

"YOUR RIGHTS EXTEND ONLY AS FAR AS SOMEONE ELSES BEGINS" Think about it!!!!

I never said Southwest didn't have the right to refuse her service, she also exercised her right not to fly Southwest, choosing to drive instead. I just think they made too big a deal out of it. Personally, I don't wear shirts with swear words on them because I don't want to irritate people any more than I already do.

BTW, I didn't respond because I was posting before work.

acludem

manu1959 said:
she is filing a free speech / discrimination lawsuit against them....jus saw it on the news
Let us know the developments on this...I couldn't find any mention of it on the net.

acludem said:
Sure, so long as it doesn't say kill the Muslims.

acludem

How about one that says . . .

The ACLU is populated with brainless, dickless, pussy communists that roll around in chicken shit to feel at home? :eek:

Forum List

Back