Woman raped in Congo 'nearly every minute'

In the deepest, darkest Africa...
icon_omg.gif

Scores hacked to death in Democratic Republic of Congo
Aug. 14, 2016 -- At least 45 bodies have been found hacked to death in northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo, with more expected as the search continues.
The attack was reportedly carried out by suspected rebels, Al Jazeera reported. The attack happened Saturday night in the town of Beni's 's Rwangoma district, Beni Mayor Nyonyi Bwanakawa said. DRC troops recovered the machete-hacked bodies and said they expect to find even more, CRJ English News reported. Bwanakawa said at least 45 people were found dead. He said the assailants attacked the village of Rwangoma on the city's rim, killing civilians.

DR Congo President Joseph Kabila, who is staying in the province of North Kivu, labeled the massacre as terrorism. "The terrorist massacre happening at the moment in the east is not different from what happened in Mali, France, Somalia and other corners of the world," Kabila said. The Allied Democratic Forces, an armed group from Uganda and the suspected rebels, are responsible for the attack, CR Congo Army spokesman Mak Hazukay said.

Military operations are underway in the region to thwart the rebels in various parts of the province of North Kivu. Hazukay said the rebels slipped by the military to carry out the attack on civilians. The attack comes just a week after 14 people were killed in another incident near Beni. The ADF has been accused of human-rights violations and is believed to be involved in numerous criminal networks funded by kidnappings, smuggling and illegal logging. Since October 2014, more than 600 civilians have been killed in the Beni area.

Scores hacked to death in Democratic Republic of Congo

See also:

Rampaging South Sudan troops raped foreigners, killed local
Monday, August 15, 2016 - The soldier pointed his AK-47 at the female aid worker and gave her a choice. “Either you have sex with me, or we make every man here rape you and then we shoot you in the head,” she remembers him saying. She didn’t really have a choice. By the end of the evening, she had been raped by 15 South Sudanese soldiers.
On July 11, South Sudanese troops, fresh from winning a battle in the capital, Juba, over opposition forces, went on a nearly four-hour rampage through a residential compound popular with foreigners, in one of the worst targeted attacks on aid workers in South Sudan’s three-year civil war. They shot dead a local journalist while forcing the foreigners to watch, raped several foreign women, singled out Americans, beat and robbed people and carried out mock executions, several witnesses told The Associated Press.

For hours throughout the assault, the U.N. peacekeeping force stationed less than a mile away refused to respond to desperate calls for help. Neither did embassies, including the U.S. Embassy. The Associated Press interviewed by phone eight survivors, both male and female, including three who said they were raped. The other five said they were beaten; one was shot. Most insisted on anonymity for their safety or to protect their organizations still operating in South Sudan. AP does not identify victims of sexual assault. The accounts highlight, in raw detail, the failure of the U.N. peacekeeping force to uphold its core mandate of protecting civilians, notably those just a few minutes’ drive away. U.N. peacekeepers in Juba have already been accused of not acting to stop the rapes of local women by soldiers outside the U.N.’s main camp and within their sight last month.

south_sudan_hotel_rampage_c0-291-6900-4314_s885x516.jpeg

Some of the more than 30,000 civilians sheltering in a United Nations base in South Sudan's capital Juba for fear of targeted killings by government forces walk by an armored vehicle and a watchtower manned by Chinese UN peacekeepers. According to reports from victims which have come to light Monday Aug. 15, 2016, South Sudanese troops, fresh from winning a battle against opposition forces in the capital, Juba, on July 11, 2016, went on a nearly four-hour rampage through a residential compound popular with foreigners, and the U.N. peacekeeping force stationed nearby are accused of refusing to respond to desperate calls for help.​

The attack on the Terrain hotel complex shows the hostility toward foreigners and aid workers by troops under the command of South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir, who has been fighting supporters of rebel leader Riek Machar since civil war erupted in December 2013. Both sides have been accused of abuses. The U.N. recently passed a U.S. resolution to send more peacekeeping troops to protect civilians. Army spokesman Lul Ruai did not deny the attack at the Terrain but said it was premature to conclude the army was responsible. “Everyone is armed, and everyone has access to uniforms and we have people from other organized forces, but it was definitely done by people of South Sudan and by armed people of Juba,” he said.

A report on the incident compiled by the Terrain’s owner at Ruai’s request, seen by the AP, alleges that at least five women were raped, torture, mock executions, beatings and looting. An unknown number of South Sudanese women were also assaulted. The attack came just as people in Juba were thinking the worst was over. Three days earlier, gunfire had erupted outside the presidential compound between armed supporters of the two sides in South Sudan’s civil war, at the time pushed together under an uneasy peace deal. The violence quickly spread across the city.

MORE

Woman raped in Congo 'nearly every minute'

In the US a woman is raped every 2 minutes.

he doesn't care about that. he's a rightwingnut misogynist who hates women.

although I do think you're overstating a bit. one in eight women are sexually assaulted during their lifetime. I'm not sure how that breaks down per minute.

but it's not like the o/p's numbers even come close to rational so yours can be excused if they're a bit off.

I didn't know that.

although I do think you're overstating a bit. one in eight women are sexually assaulted during their lifetime. I'm not sure how that breaks down per minute.

but it's not like the o/p's numbers even come close to rational so yours can be excused if they're a bit off.
I'm only taking if off Google.
"Somewhere in America" (the US) "a woman is raped every 2 minutes."
How often does it happen? | Washington Coalition of Sexual Assault Programs

I didn't know that.

i understand that. but i'm reading freakonomics right now and the book actually addresses that particular issue.

I didn't know that.

i understand that. but i'm reading freakonomics right now and the book actually addresses that particular issue.
Caring? Right wingers? Nuts? Misogynists? or Women haters?

New Topics

Forum List

Back