Woman Loses Benefits Over Facebook Photos

immto

Return to Freedom
Jun 28, 2009
Danville, IL
This Story is kinda funny. Any one care to share thier thoughts?

Nathalie Blanchard has been on leave from her job at IBM in Bromont, Quebec, for the last year.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. reported Saturday she was diagnosed with major depression and was receiving monthly sick-leave benefits from insurance giant Manulife.

But the payments dried up this fall and when Blanchard called Manulife, she says she was told she was available to work because of Facebook.

She said her insurance agent described several pictures Blanchard posted on Facebook, including ones showing her having a good time at a Chippendales bar show, at her birthday party and on a sun holiday.

Blanchard said Manulife told her it's evidence she is no longer depressed. She says her lawyer is exploring what the next step should be.

Blanchard told the CBC that on her doctor's advice, she tried to have fun, including nights out at her local bar with friends and short getaways to sun destinations, as a way to forget her problems.

Manulife wouldn't comment on Blanchard's case, but did say they would not deny or terminate a claim solely based on information published on websites such as Facebook.

redirect

I agree. Work is the best way to forget all about her nights out with the gang and her BD party. It will also help her forge thos CHIPPENDALE DANCERS big time. OH yeah. Work will straighen her right out.

"Major depression"? Are you kidding me? People expect to get a paid vacation and medical benefits for having "major depression"?

"Major depression"? Are you kidding me? People expect to get a paid vacation and medical benefits for having "major depression"?

Depression can be debilitating however it seems this person is no longer clinically depressed, if she ever was, and was simply taking advantage of her "condition".
Busted!!

Depression can be debilitating however it seems this person is no longer clinically depressed, if she ever was, and was simply taking advantage of her "condition".
Busted!!

Well, the complication is that she says she was ordered by her doctor to get out and do something fun to treat her depression. Not the activity I would have chosen for that, but it is plausible.

Busted!!

Well, the complication is that she says she was ordered by her doctor to get out and do something fun to treat her depression. Not the activity I would have chosen for that, but it is plausible.

When observing clinically depressed individuals in fun activities they still have a tendency to show distinctive signs of withdrawal, half hearted laughs, weak smiles almost always followed by a blank stares or a frowns.
If under medication and the meds are working, said individuals can not only enjoy life but be productive at work also. I wonder when her last independent evaluation was?

Im not sympathetic. I've had bouts of depression. There have been days I didnt want to go to work. Well guess what, bills need to be paid. Work needs to be done. Taking "sick" leave isnt an option. This is the real world. We dont have the luxary to take off work just because we are depressed. Heck, most of us dont have the luxary of taking off work when we are unable to move in bed.

We need to stop coddling people and get them back to work. Because something Ive learned about depression, it gets worse if you are sitting around doing absolutely nothing. I know this from personal experience. Give me something to do, even if i dont want to do it, and ill be alot less depressed then if I stay at home on "sick" leave.

All types of people have issues, whether mental, physicla, emotional etc. You need to learn to deal with them and function in society. Not leach off it.

As for the Facebook stuff, well she should have kept her page private. People put tons of stuff on facebook and myspace and other pages like that they probably shouldnt put up there. I was talking to an attorney friend of mine. He said the first thing you should do if you get a client is check out their facebook or myspace page. He had pages of documentations of some alleged victims planning drug sales and scams on facebook. People are stupid. She got caught.

Disability fraud is a huge problem. We actually allowed two PIs from TX do a stakeout from our driveway for three days. They took pics of the guy across the street painting his house. Apparently he had claimed permanent disabilty in TX. Uh oh. Thought he wouldn't get caught in NJ.

Depression is treatable with meds. This scammer got caught.Good.

Im not sympathetic. I've had bouts of depression. There have been days I didnt want to go to work. Well guess what, bills need to be paid. Work needs to be done. Taking "sick" leave isnt an option. This is the real world. We dont have the luxary to take off work just because we are depressed. Heck, most of us dont have the luxary of taking off work when we are unable to move in bed.

We need to stop coddling people and get them back to work. Because something Ive learned about depression, it gets worse if you are sitting around doing absolutely nothing. I know this from personal experience. Give me something to do, even if i dont want to do it, and ill be alot less depressed then if I stay at home on "sick" leave.

All types of people have issues, whether mental, physicla, emotional etc. You need to learn to deal with them and function in society. Not leach off it.

As for the Facebook stuff, well she should have kept her page private. People put tons of stuff on facebook and myspace and other pages like that they probably shouldnt put up there. I was talking to an attorney friend of mine. He said the first thing you should do if you get a client is check out their facebook or myspace page. He had pages of documentations of some alleged victims planning drug sales and scams on facebook. People are stupid. She got caught.

You have no idea what depression is nor what it entails.

Disability fraud is a huge problem. We actually allowed two PIs from TX do a stakeout from our driveway for three days. They took pics of the guy across the street painting his house. Apparently he had claimed permanent disabilty in TX. Uh oh. Thought he wouldn't get caught in NJ.

The meds help but do not cure.

So glad you presume to tell me about my own medical history.

The only difference between you and me is i accept my weaknesses and learn to deal with them rather than allow them to be excuses for not doing anything.

Busted!!

It may be true that she was dealing with some issues but going out like that and then being happy enough about it to post it on facebook while you know you are collecting disablity, that takes Gall.

What is a cure for depression if not feeling better?

So glad you presume to tell me about my own medical history.

The only difference between you and me is i accept my weaknesses and learn to deal with them rather than allow them to be excuses for not doing anything.

Its obvious you have no idea what depression is or what it does to a person.

What is a cure for depression if not feeling better?

How about you tell me what a cure for depression is?

Forum List

Back