Woman gets 30 days in jail for texting in court

A slightly more balanced version of the story than KMAN's drivel.

ksl.com - Woman sent to jail for texting in court

That's interesting additional info, but I'm not sure it proves intent.

I'm not sure it has to prove any intent. Minus any more information, it sounds like she got a simple contempt of court citation for violating the judge's general ban on texting. And there's nothing unusual or out of control about that. Judges have always been very touchy about their dignity and having their orders followed. I knew a judge once who cited a lawyer for contempt of court for wearing basketball shoes in court, because he said it was "mocking the seriousness of the court".

If a clear ban on any phone use was in place then I agree with that completely, but 30 days still seems excessive to me. A fine would have done it. Even better, community service.

isn't a heads up a warning?

30 days sounds about right.

By that logic, if she had called after court had adjourned, she would still be guilty, right? What if his lawyer had called to give the same news? Jail for the lawyer?

It's hard to judge the reality based on the scant information in the media, but on the basis of what we know so far this seems excessive.

no, because she'd be out of court and unable to be in contempt. i find the judge's unwillingness to comment troubling. 30 days may be excessive, as you say without more info, it's hard to say.

Agree, so it's not about what she texted (nothing to do with her giving a warning), just that she texted where supposedly a ban was in place.

By that logic, if she had called after court had adjourned, she would still be guilty, right? What if his lawyer had called to give the same news? Jail for the lawyer?

It's hard to judge the reality based on the scant information in the media, but on the basis of what we know so far this seems excessive.

no, because she'd be out of court and unable to be in contempt. i find the judge's unwillingness to comment troubling. 30 days may be excessive, as you say without more info, it's hard to say.

Agree, so it's not about what she texted (nothing to do with her giving a warning), just that she texted where supposedly a ban was in place.

not according to the judge's spokesperson. they said it was about the content and not just the texting.

i was warned by a bailiff once for bringing a magazine into a courtroom.
judges have oveinflated egos, imo. the system practically ensures it.

not according to the judge's spokesperson. they said it was about the content and not just the texting.

judges, at least some of them, do definitely have their moments.

i think it's the black robes and the high bench.

And that's exactly why I prefer not to rush to judge based on media reports. Too much conflicting information.

According to the article nobody knew where the ban was listed.... So how do we know there was one?

I have no sympathy for people who can't be without their toys long enough to sit in court ...

So if you had to send an emergency text during court and this happened to you, you wouldn't care??? Interesting.

Is that all you have ... :lol:

Seriously? You can't be serious, this has to be a joke!

You're in the court, if there is any emergency that can't wait ll you have to do is ask for an ambulance, and you don't text for emergencies anyway. That is just such a stupid response.

I'm not sure it has to prove any intent. Minus any more information, it sounds like she got a simple contempt of court citation for violating the judge's general ban on texting. And there's nothing unusual or out of control about that. Judges have always been very touchy about their dignity and having their orders followed. I knew a judge once who cited a lawyer for contempt of court for wearing basketball shoes in court, because he said it was "mocking the seriousness of the court".

If a clear ban on any phone use was in place then I agree with that completely, but 30 days still seems excessive to me. A fine would have done it. Even better, community service.

My understanding is that jail time is usual for contempt of court, and 30 days is a pretty standard time. Also, the review I think I heard mentioned is likely in front of the same judge, at which point he may release her.

I have no sympathy for people who can't be without their toys long enough to sit in court ...

So if you had to send an emergency text during court and this happened to you, you wouldn't care??? Interesting.

An emergency text? Yeah, because emergencies really require painstakingly punching out each letter on the phone, as opposed to, say, just calling. And for either, you pick your ass up and leave the courtroom to do it.

Is that all you have ... :lol:

Seriously? You can't be serious, this has to be a joke!

You're in the court, if there is any emergency that can't wait ll you have to do is ask for an ambulance, and you don't text for emergencies anyway. That is just such a stupid response.

Kind of like the response YOU just gave.... :cuckoo:

Thanks for answering my question...:clap2:

According to the article nobody knew where the ban was listed.... So how do we know there was one?

1. it wouldn't be "listed".

2. there doesn't have to be a "ban" for a judge to order someone to "put away the cell phone".

aren't you listening?

I can't believe I am responding to you.... but did you even read the article...of course not or you would've seen the following...

Please stop making a fool of yourself...

Jackson reported there were no notices or warnings posted, a statement contradicted by the clerk's office spokeswoman, who told WND that visitors to court were told of the judge's ban on text messages. However, when asked how the warning was delivered, by sign or verbal statement, she said, "I have no idea."

2. there doesn't have to be a "ban" for a judge to order someone to "put away the cell phone".

aren't you listening?

I can't believe I am responding to you.... but did you even read the article...of course not or you would've seen the following...

Jackson reported there were no notices or warnings posted, a statement contradicted by the clerk's office spokeswoman, who told WND that visitors to court were told of the judge's ban on text messages. However, when asked how the warning was delivered, by sign or verbal statement, she said, "I have no idea."

again, IDIOT... the judge only had to give a verbal warning.

do me a favor and please argue about these with someone who DOESN'T spend all day in court.

aren't you listening?

do me a favor and please argue about these with someone who DOESN'T spend all day in court.
Better be careful, Jillian. If a judge catches you on that laptop, you could be on your way to the pokie. :lol:

Seriously KMan, you are arguing against someone who works in a court and someone who has dealt with police extensively ... come on, if you are going to argue a point, pick your opponents better so you don't look like that much of a fool.

30 days was excessive no matter what the Judge may have said. He was just mad that no one was texting him

Better be careful, Jillian. If a judge catches you on that laptop, you could be on your way to the pokie. :lol:

interestingly, i'm not stupid enough to violate a directive from a judge.

it's fair to have different opinions about whether or not the judge was excessive, even though clearly having the RIGHT to make a contempt finding.

what isn't fair was for the little yutz to think that there needed to be a posted policy before the judge could make such a finding.

A slightly more balanced version of the story than KMAN's drivel.

ksl.com - Woman sent to jail for texting in court

Seriously? Why else would she mention it specifically? A 'heads up'? Yeah ... why?

Did he HIDE the vehicle? They waited a MONTH to summon her. Again if it had no effect on the case, guess what? The Judge is just a Fascist.

Forum List

Back