woman fired for displaying kerry bumper sticker on car

I'm thinking he's firing her for obvious insubornination.

"What am I fired? You can't fire me! Try it!" - disrespect towards your supervisors is a legit reason; probably legally too.

I suspect the conversation went more like this:

dumblady walks into a Political discussion at work:

"You want GWB? You have to be shittin' me (spits tobacco)! That Sorry SOB is a liar and he's dumb!"

- That must be your car w/ the kerry sticker on it, right?

"Sure as shit IS, what are YOU Going to do about it?!"

- (laughing) well, don't tell (business owner) because he's GWB all the way!

"Screw (business owner's name)!!! I'll tell him that to his face!"

etc...

-=d=- said:

"What am I fired? You can't fire me! Try it!" - disrespect towards your supervisors is a legit reason; probably legally too.

"You want GWB? You have to be shittin' me (spits tobacco)! That Sorry SOB is a liar and he's dumb!"

etc...

:link: :link: :link: :teeth:

-=d=- said:

etc...

That could very well be. But if it was, don't you think the boss man would have been more willing to talk to the press, instead of not being able to be contacted?

I don't put bumper stickers on my car because I drive representing my company. However, in previous job I did not use my vehicle and had Gore/Lieberman , etc all over it. My employer had nothing to say about it. If this woman was fired only because she had this sticker, she will certainly be eligible for unemployment which will end up costing this idiot boss of hers a lot of money. She could definitely sue for wrongful termination if she wanted and would most likely win.

acludem

acludem said:
I don't put bumper stickers on my car because I drive representing my company. However, in previous job I did not use my vehicle and had Gore/Lieberman , etc all over it. My employer had nothing to say about it. If this woman was fired only because she had this sticker, she will certainly be eligible for unemployment which will end up costing this idiot boss of hers a lot of money. She could definitely sue for wrongful termination if she wanted and would most likely win.

acludem

Perhaps this woman drives a company owned vehicle and company policy is to keep all political advertisements off company property?

I think we need to hear both sides of the story before we can make any judgements about what really happened.

I gotta tell you, as an employee of a non-profit environmental organization, I was kind of nervous putting a Bush/Cheney bumper sticker on my car, even though it is not used in my employment. However, I decided that being able to express my political views was more important to me than my part-time job so I went ahead and stuck the bumper sticker on my car.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that three of our five employees, including our executive director, were republicans as well!

Four more years!!!!!!

this will get a laugh out of some people: i'm glad the lady's got a job, everybody's got bills you know?
http://www.slate.com/id/2106714/

The story was picked up by Daily Kos, a political Web log, and spread quickly around the Web. By this morning, Geddes, who has declined to comment publicly on the matter, had apparently had enough of the bad publicity. Through an intermediary, he offered Gobbell an apology and said she could have her old job back. But Gobbell said she wouldn't return without some written guarantee that Geddes wouldn't turn around and fire her once he was out of the spotlight. Then, late this afternoon, Kerry himself phoned Gobbell. "He was telling me how proud he was that I stood up," Gobbell told me. "He'd read the part where Phil said I could either work for him or work for John Kerry. He said, 'you let him know you're working for me as of today.' I was just so shocked."

Gobbell accepted Kerry's job offer, "so I reckon I'll be working for John Kerry." Kerry left it that someone from his campaign would call Gobbell to work out the details. Let's hope there's quick follow-through (I'll be checking!), because Gobbell told me she couldn't wait to tell Geddes that she had a better offer.

Update, Sept. 15, 9:10 a.m.: Stancil reports in today's Decatur Daily that Leslie Dach of the Democratic National Committee contacted Gobbell late yesterday and that they'll work out the details of her job today.]

acludem said:
If this woman was fired only because she had this sticker, she will certainly be eligible for unemployment which will end up costing this idiot boss of hers a lot of money. She could definitely sue for wrongful termination if she wanted and would most likely win.

acludem

Unemployment, yes. Wrongful termination, not even close.

Every state except for Montana is considered an "at will" state, which means you can quit for any reason whatsoever and you can be fired for any reason whatsoever. Hell, she can be fired because her boss didn't like her hair color and it would be 100% legal.

The only way it would ever be considered wrongful termination would be if it was an illegal reason, such as Title VII protected characteristics (gender, sex, nationality, race...)

Who ISN'T Kerry hiring for his campaign nowadays?!!?!

It seems that everytime I blink he has brought two or three more people "on board."

It seems he needs all the help he can get and is willing to take just about anybody....I give it two weeks before he stops calling Clinton for advice and starts calling GW Bush.

jimnyc said:
Unemployment, yes. Wrongful termination, not even close.

Every state except for Montana is considered an "at will" state, which means you can quit for any reason whatsoever and you can be fired for any reason whatsoever. Hell, she can be fired because her boss didn't like her hair color and it would be 100% legal.

The only way it would ever be considered wrongful termination would be if it was an illegal reason, such as Title VII protected characteristics (gender, sex, nationality, race...)

See DK...i knew someone here would be able to back me up on this. and trying to prove she was fired because of the stickers on her car would be too hard to prove. especially if there is another employee with them on their car. We are only hearing this woman's whining and bitching. Not only that, is I couldn't find the story anywhere else. I think she's full of shit and is trying to incriminate her boss (who she probably knew the whole time was a Bush voter) to make her feel better about Kerry sinking like lead in the polls. She wa probably fired for something else, but her self esteem was hurt, so she wants to get even, but has no ground to stand on.

the other posters are right...the ACLU would be all over this if there were any proof that what she is saying is true.

Forum List

Back