Woman fined 100.00 for throwing newspaper in trash

bigrebnc1775

][][][% NC Sheepdog
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 12, 2010
Kannapolis, N.C.
This has got to be the most outragous thing a government could ever think about doing

(AP) A New York City woman says she'll fight a $100 summons for tossing a newspaper into a city litter basket.

Delia Gluckin told The New York Post that she got the ticket from a Sanitation Department agent on Sunday.

The Manhattan resident said she offered to take the paper out but the agent wrote out the summons for putting "improper refuse in a city litter basket."

Woman Fined $100 for Throwing Newspaper in Trash - CBS News

I expected this to be about recycling, and instead it's about "household trash". But what if you saw the paper on a park bench and wanted to throw it away?

I hope this 80 year old gets a break.

I expected this to be about recycling, and instead it's about "household trash". But what if you saw the paper on a park bench and wanted to throw it away?

It's not yours. Don't touch it.

They could take some of the stimulus money and hire people to seperate the trash at the dump site it's a win win situation. People are back in the work force the stimulus went to a good thing and no one gets fined for bullshit,,,,,,,No wait they can't use the stimulus for this, that money had to go to repay the union bosses.

Now that I've pointed out the obvious (no touching what isn't yours), why should this woman get a break just because of her age? The can us VERY clearly marked with instructions, and the fine amount should you choose to ignore them.

I don't see what makes a newspaper "household trash". Supposing she read it in the park?

So what if she read it in the park? Take it back home, and dispose of it. If she FOUND it in the park, again, that goes back to not touching something that isn't yours.

Either way, she blatantly ignored a posted sign with posted consequences, and she got nailed. TFB. Pay up, and learn from your mistakes (or blatant disregard for posted information).

She could have just tossed it out on the street and let the wind blow it all around the place like all the other trash blowing around in NYC. There's no fine for that...

She could have just tossed it out on the street and let the wind blow it all around the place like all the other trash blowing around in NYC. There's no fine for that...

She could have. But instead, she chose to break the law. (It may be a stupid law, but it is a law, nonetheless) For that, there are consequences that were broken down in plain English...

She could have. But instead, she chose to break the law. (It may be a stupid law, but it is a law, nonetheless) For that, there are consequences that were broken down in plain English...

Sadly, truer words have never been spoken...

A little authority sometimes goes straight to a person's head.

I don't see how a newspaper can possibly be "household trash" unless it's inside a bag with the rest of the household trash. If the woman had tossed a whole bag of trash in the container I'd say she was dumping trash. Exactly what constitutes "litter" in NYC - gum wrappers?

Sadly, truer words have never been spoken...

i don´t have any questions anymore to you....people isnt there any top of structural madness?

Here would be a good defense for her
The city should have provided two recepticals one for litter and one for items like she had.

Last edited:
If she was truly using the sidewalk basket to get rid of household trash then she ought to have been fined.

However, a mere newspaper wouldn't be enough evidence to support the charge.

Ergo, I can only conclude that we're not getting the WHOLE STORY.

And isn't that typical of these anti-government let's all get outraged stories?

If she was truly using the sidewalk basket to get rid of household trash then she ought to have been fined.

However, a mere newspaper wouldn't be enough evidence to support the charge.

Ergo, I can only conclude that we're not getting the WHOLE STORY.

And isn't that typical of these anti-government let's all get outraged stories?

Unless she was seen entering the park with the newspaper, or it's one of those small town newspapers that come with printed name/address labels.

In any case, newspapers are not just delivered to parks - that makes them *someones*, which also makes them fall under the "household trash" category.

Why are people always trying to get out of situations they freely got themselves into? Talk about faux outrage...

Forum List

Back