Woman Dies After Son Calls 911; Dispatchers Think It's A Prank

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
Absolutely pursue a lawsuit...but they aren't sure if the dispatcher will be disciplined? WTF?!?!

-----------

An investigation is underway in Detroit after a six-year-old boy called 911 to get help for his mom, and the operator acted as if it were a joke.

Detroit NBC Affiliate WDIV reports that six-year-old Robert Turner called 911 on February 20. He thought his mother 46-year-old Sherrill Turner had passed out. She was later found dead.

911 tapes detail the call, where the boy tells a female operator that his mom had passed out. The operator demands to speak to an adult before sending police.

The boy eventually hung up and called back a short time later. This time the same operator warns the boy that he could get in trouble for making a prank call to 911. Taylor says police didn't arrive until three hours later and found his mother dead.

The family is now pursuing a lawsuit. Detroit police are investigating and say they are not sure about what, if any, disciplinary will be taken against the 911 operator.

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4739612

Keeerappp! Why bother to teach the young ones what to do in an emergency if that is the response they are going to get???

WHich is worse? this? or the Operator who said "So what?" when somebody called to report a motorcycle accident awhile back?

I think that it's almost safer to call 911 and not say anything. At least that way you can guarantee a cop will show up to check it out. Just call 911 and put the phone down.

The ClayTaurus said:
I think that it's almost safer to call 911 and not say anything. At least that way you can guarantee a cop will show up to check it out. Just call 911 and put the phone down.
Yep, that's the way it is here. 911 hangup, dead air, gets an immediate dispatch of at least the cops.

But, here the 911 folks will call back first, (they do have caller ID ya know)..Don't answer.

Mr. P said:
Yep, that's the way it is here. 911 hangup, dead air, gets an immediate dispatch of at least the cops.

But, here the 911 folks will call back first, (they do have caller ID ya know)..Don't answer.
Yup. If ever in a risky situation that you couldn't talk, just dial 911 on your cell in your pocket and then just leave it on. Same thing for land lines.

The ClayTaurus said:
Yup. If ever in a risky situation that you couldn't talk, just dial 911 on your cell in your pocket and then just leave it on. Same thing for land lines.
Yes but with a cell, be sure the locator thingy is active on yer phone.

Mr. P said:
Yes but with a cell, be sure the locator thingy is active on yer phone.

You beat me to it. Great minds.

With my phone, you can have the GPS on 24/7 but it can only be "found" by Verizon when they are contacted by the authorities.

The trauma that 5 year old had to go through... watching your mom die, asking for help and being admonished....

that's about as bad as it gets.

if this ever goes to trial, if i was one of the females of this child's family (if this was a female dispatcher), i wouldn't be able to restrain myself, i'd have to beat this dispatcher within an inch of her despicable life. if it was a male dispatcher, i hope he would go to jail and get some alone time with bubba the butt rapist.

I once had a case where I defended some 911 dispatchers. Gotta say, I was not impressed. Latisha and La'Verna didn't give a CRAP about the people who called. More proof that in multiculti America, you're on your own. The government WILL NOT, I repeat WILL NOT, protect you. You have to protect yourself and your own.

My whole thinking is why wouldnt you send a cop out to arrest the boy if he's making prank calls. That way at least your covering your bases.

All dispatchers should take EVERY 9/11 call seriously. If it turns out to be a joke, then at least no one died.

New update:

This unbelievably dense, cruel, retarded BITCH not only didn't have ANY disciplinary action levied against her, but the only thing being done is a lawsuit on behalf of the child, and her fucking union is DEFENDING her!! When the hell did this become the United States of Retarded Bastards?

This is the world of government unions, people. They have no incentive to give good service. They have no incentive to do their jobs correctly. They only have to take up space and collect a check. They don't care about you because if you don't pay them, you go to jail.

Hobbit said:
New update:

This unbelievably dense, cruel, retarded BITCH not only didn't have ANY disciplinary action levied against her, but the only thing being done is a lawsuit on behalf of the child, and her fucking union is DEFENDING her!! When the hell did this become the United States of Retarded Bastards?

This is the world of government unions, people. They have no incentive to give good service. They have no incentive to do their jobs correctly. They only have to take up space and collect a check. They don't care about you because if you don't pay them, you go to jail.
l-l-l-link?

I saw this story on FOX News the other day, they didn't have the dispatcher on, and she hadn't been fired yet.

The problem is, the paramedic they interviewed said the mother might have been able to live if she had gotten prompt medical treatment.

There was a recording of the call, the kid did not sound like he was pulling a prank, and you could tell he was very young, hope this whole thing doesn't screw him up for the rest of his life, and the dispatcher needs to be fired and banned for life.

Hobbit said:
New update:

Yep. Welcome to France.

Forum List

Back