Woman Denied An Abortion, Dies In Hospital

Seems she was having a miscarriage, but it was incomplete. She was in great pain, and after 24 hours she begged doctors for an abortion, to end the pregnancy as quick as possible. As the fetus still had a heartbeat, she was denied the abortion.
Finally, the fetus died, and the woman developed blood poisoning and died a week later:

A WOMAN has died of blood poisoning from a miscarriage, after an Irish hospital denied her an abortion telling her "this is a Catholic country".
Digital Pass - $5 weekend papers

The tragedy comes as the country is in the throes of a passionate debate over potential abortion law reform.

The Irish Times reports that both the hospital and the health department have begun investigations into the death at University Hospital Galway last month.

Savita Halappanavar, 31, a dentist who was 17 weeks pregnant, went to the hospital with back pain on October 21.

Her husband Praveen Halappanavar said she was told she was miscarrying, and after one day of severe pain she asked for a medical termination.

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

This was in Ireland, where abortion is illegal, so the doctors claimed they couldn't do anything because the heart was still beating, but they should have given her something to help nature along, to end her suffering.

This is a big story in Ireland today. Hope it is not swept under the rug.

Several experts have been appointed to investigate this situation. It seems the hospital could have and should have performed the abortion .

There is confusion within this issue, "Ireland's constitution officially bans abortion, but a 1992 Supreme Court ruling said the procedure should be legalized for situations when the woman's life is at risk from continuing the pregnancy. Five governments since have refused to pass a law resolving the confusion, leaving Irish hospitals reluctant to terminate pregnancies except in the most obviously life-threatening circumstances.

An estimated 4,000 Irish women travel next door to England every year, where abortion has been legal on demand since 1967. But that option is difficult, if not impossible, if the woman's health is failing"

Savita Halappanavar's Parents Slam Ireland Abortion Laws After Daughter's Death

Seems she was having a miscarriage, but it was incomplete. She was in great pain, and after 24 hours she begged doctors for an abortion, to end the pregnancy as quick as possible. As the fetus still had a heartbeat, she was denied the abortion.
Finally, the fetus died, and the woman developed blood poisoning and died a week later:

A WOMAN has died of blood poisoning from a miscarriage, after an Irish hospital denied her an abortion telling her "this is a Catholic country".
Digital Pass - $5 weekend papers

The tragedy comes as the country is in the throes of a passionate debate over potential abortion law reform.

The Irish Times reports that both the hospital and the health department have begun investigations into the death at University Hospital Galway last month.

Savita Halappanavar, 31, a dentist who was 17 weeks pregnant, went to the hospital with back pain on October 21.

Her husband Praveen Halappanavar said she was told she was miscarrying, and after one day of severe pain she asked for a medical termination.

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

This was in Ireland, where abortion is illegal, so the doctors claimed they couldn't do anything because the heart was still beating, but they should have given her something to help nature along, to end her suffering.

It was a blessing from God!

I feel for her husband :/ to know something could have been done, but doctors chose not to... I can't imagine.

Ya cause after all one should just ignore the law any time they feel like it, RIGHT? So I assume you condemn doctors that don't administer lethal drugs to their terminal patients? How about the people that just want to commit suicide, damn that doctor for saving them and not helping them, RIGHT?

Further this was Ireland, I don't give a rats ass what they do as long as it doesn't effect this Country.

The GOP platform contains language that says the law should define a fetus as a person.

Under such a law an abortion in this case would have been an illegal homicide.

Yet when they campaign they claim they are fine with abortion to save the mother.

Kinda odd they put in their platform one thing and then say another. Which is it they really support? We can't tell. So why take the chance?

I feel for her husband :/ to know something could have been done, but doctors chose not to... I can't imagine.

Ya cause after all one should just ignore the law any time they feel like it, RIGHT? So I assume you condemn doctors that don't administer lethal drugs to their terminal patients? How about the people that just want to commit suicide, damn that doctor for saving them and not helping them, RIGHT?

Further this was Ireland, I don't give a rats ass what they do as long as it doesn't effect this Country.

The GOP platform contains language that says the law should define a fetus as a person.

Under such a law an abortion in this case would have been an illegal homicide.

Yet when they campaign they claim they are fine with abortion to save the mother.

Kinda odd they put in their platform one thing and then say another. Which is it they really support? We can't tell. So why take the chance?

No, you fucking idiot. It's not odd at all. Its' only odd if you don't understand English, or if you are inured to the truth.

The platform has always been the fetus is a person, but in the event of having to choose one over the other, the mother takes precedence. That conflicts with the stories you pro-abortionists like to tell, so you feign confusion and blame the confusion on us. "What, how can you explain this?" Well the explanation is that it isn't true.

The lie that Republicans believe that women should be forced to bear monster killer babies that murder them is just that...a lie. If you continue to believe it, you will continue to be confused when faced with fact.

The doctor made a decision; the result was death. The result probably would have been death if he had tried to abort the baby as well.

You just don't know.

She developed blood poisoning as a result of the fetus dying from miscarriage.
If it was terminated, she wouldn't have that problem or be in constant unbearable pain.

The doctor made a decision; the result was death. The result probably would have been death if he had tried to abort the baby as well.

You just don't know.

If it was terminated, she wouldn't have that problem or be in constant unbearable pain.

No, she did not, you lying sack of shit.

Do you know what back pain signifies? It signifies kidney failure. She was septic....and the baby was STILL ALIVE you moron, that's allegedly why they didn't perform the abortion, remember?

Try to stick to one set of retarded, non-contradictory lies, please.

The left never posts stories about: Baby lives, family happy.

Nothing but fear mongering and hate.

It was a nincompoop rw who said that women don't die in childbirth anymore.

Families have a better chance of living happy if the woman is allowed to simply LIVE.

You just don't know.

No, she did not, you lying sack of shit.

Do you know what back pain signifies? It signifies kidney failure. She was septic....and the baby was STILL ALIVE you moron, that's allegedly why they didn't perform the abortion, remember?

Try to stick to one set of retarded, non-contradictory lies, please.

Oh great. Dr Kosergirl is practicing medicine again.

You ninny. There are a lot of possible causes for "back pain". For you to state that it "signifies kidney failure" is incredibly irresponsible and dangerous for people who might read it and believe you have some effing clue what you're babbling about.

It is you who lies about a lot of things, not the least of which is that you're qualified to make such blanket statements.

STFU about medicine before you actually hurt someone.

Yes, there are a lot of reasons for back pain. And for anyone to determine it's caused by a dead baby, when the article says the exact opposite, is irresponsible, dishonest, or stupid...probably all three.

Which was my point. Please don't take my point and pretend it ever exposed anyone except the lying pro-abortionists in this thread, who have presented about 4 different and equally idiotic stories to *prove* that this woman died because she didn't get an abortion. The article says she died of septicemia.

BTW...do you have any idea how many women die in our hospitals from "septicemia" that is actually caused by legal abortion? No, you don't. Because their death isn't listed as being caused by "abortion". Likewise, if the cause of death is "septicemia" then it's "septicemia" and not "lack of abortion" that killed her.

And, no one ever dies in a surgery suite. They always die in recovery.

Its all part of the politics of the M&M.

So what?

What is known is that more women die in childbirth than in abortion but that's not the point. The is and always will be that abortion is the right of every woman. Period.

Yes, I know this particular case took place in Ireland. In the US, abortion is legal. Legal or not, what any woman chooses is no one elses business. There is nothing that can change that.

More women go through childbirth than go through abortions. So what?

In Ireland, abortion is legal to save the life of the mother. There's nothing in that article that "proves" an abortion would have saved this woman's life. She died of septicemia...and NOT from a dead fetus, as the baby's heart was still beating.

So please come up with another goofy theory that will allow you to pretend she died because she wasn't aborted quickly enough when she came in, sick and probably incoherent, and demanded an abortion.

Abortion is illegal in the Republic except where there is a real and substantial risk to the life, as distinct from the health, of the mother.

A little more detail at this link:

BBC News - Woman dies after abortion request 'refused' at Galway hospital

Very sad story no matter what. If her life could have been saved it should have been if those were her wishes and the wishes of her husband. The baby was never viable outside of the womb so that is why this story seems to have some missing parts.

I'm still trying to figure out why the hell I'm hearing about some stupid shit that's happening in Ireland. What does that have to do with anyone except people who live in Ireland?

You just don't know.

They're leftists; they don't NEED to know. All they need to do is scream, "See?! She DIED! Childbirth is horrible and we need ABORTION ON DEMAND NOW!"

To a sane person, it just sounds like they have some seriously incompetent medical personnel working in Ireland. Sure glad I live here.

That is why I don't get why they just didn't terminate. The fetus was non viable, so it was never going to live inside or outside the womb. It wasn't coming out on its own, it was clear the woman needed medical assistance. The doctors would have been killing a fetus that was going to die anyway, so I don't understand why they refused to abort.

Well, since they're launching investigations, have you considered the possibility that the doctors SUCKED? Or did you just kneejerk to the "There should NEVER be ANY restrictions on abortion!" argument?

I don't know squat about Ireland's abortion laws, because I don't live in Ireland and therefore don't give a fat rat's ass what happens there - despite the article-writer's odd assumption that it has some bearing on the abortion debate in THIS country - but I find it rather hard to believe that they have no provisions whatsoever for when the mother's life is in danger and the pregnancy is doomed, anyway.

I suspect what we have here is an incredibly incomplete and badly-written article being ridden like a hobby horse to advance an agenda.

Forum List

Back