Woman Denied An Abortion, Dies In Hospital

Noomi

Ninja Kicker
Jul 6, 2012
Australia
Seems she was having a miscarriage, but it was incomplete. She was in great pain, and after 24 hours she begged doctors for an abortion, to end the pregnancy as quick as possible. As the fetus still had a heartbeat, she was denied the abortion.
Finally, the fetus died, and the woman developed blood poisoning and died a week later:

A WOMAN has died of blood poisoning from a miscarriage, after an Irish hospital denied her an abortion telling her "this is a Catholic country".
Digital Pass - $5 weekend papers

The tragedy comes as the country is in the throes of a passionate debate over potential abortion law reform.

The Irish Times reports that both the hospital and the health department have begun investigations into the death at University Hospital Galway last month.

Savita Halappanavar, 31, a dentist who was 17 weeks pregnant, went to the hospital with back pain on October 21.

Her husband Praveen Halappanavar said she was told she was miscarrying, and after one day of severe pain she asked for a medical termination.

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

This was in Ireland, where abortion is illegal, so the doctors claimed they couldn't do anything because the heart was still beating, but they should have given her something to help nature along, to end her suffering.

I feel for her husband :/ to know something could have been done, but doctors chose not to... I can't imagine.

Ya cause after all one should just ignore the law any time they feel like it, RIGHT? So I assume you condemn doctors that don't administer lethal drugs to their terminal patients? How about the people that just want to commit suicide, damn that doctor for saving them and not helping them, RIGHT?

Further this was Ireland, I don't give a rats ass what they do as long as it doesn't effect this Country.

I feel for her husband :/ to know something could have been done, but doctors chose not to... I can't imagine.

Ya cause after all one should just ignore the law any time they feel like it, RIGHT? So I assume you condemn doctors that don't administer lethal drugs to their terminal patients? How about the people that just want to commit suicide, damn that doctor for saving them and not helping them, RIGHT?

Further this was Ireland, I don't give a rats ass what they do as long as it doesn't effect this Country.

Of course people shouldn't violate the law, but if there was a choice between saving a life, and breaking the law, I would think the doctors would break the law!

Yes, when it's between what's morally right, and the law, you should always do what's moral.

If I'm dying in a hospital, surrounded by doctors, they have a moral obligation to help me. Not to tell me the law says I have to die.

This is why we need One World Government.:eusa_whistle:

The left never posts stories about: Baby lives, family happy.

Nothing but fear mongering and hate.

Its called aid to mothers with dependent children, welfare, WIC, section 8 and food stamps..

whats not to be happy about?

That can't be true. Aren't Republicans saying no one dies from childbirth anymore?

Seems she was having a miscarriage, but it was incomplete. She was in great pain, and after 24 hours she begged doctors for an abortion, to end the pregnancy as quick as possible. As the fetus still had a heartbeat, she was denied the abortion.
Finally, the fetus died, and the woman developed blood poisoning and died a week later:

A WOMAN has died of blood poisoning from a miscarriage, after an Irish hospital denied her an abortion telling her "this is a Catholic country".

The tragedy comes as the country is in the throes of a passionate debate over potential abortion law reform.

The Irish Times reports that both the hospital and the health department have begun investigations into the death at University Hospital Galway last month.

Savita Halappanavar, 31, a dentist who was 17 weeks pregnant, went to the hospital with back pain on October 21.

Her husband Praveen Halappanavar said she was told she was miscarrying, and after one day of severe pain she asked for a medical termination.

This was in Ireland, where abortion is illegal, so the doctors claimed they couldn't do anything because the heart was still beating, but they should have given her something to help nature along, to end her suffering.

Seems she was having a miscarriage, but it was incomplete.

^^What does that mean exactly if the baby still was alive and had a heartbeat?

If the people of Ireland do not like the law and they want abortion legal than they should do what needs to be done to change the law if it is the will of the people.

This fetus apparently should have been removed by c-section if vaginal delivery was not possible. If the fetus was substainable then the hospital staff could have worked to save both baby and mother. There seems to be some holes in this story.

If the people of Ireland do not like the law and they want abortion legal than they should do what needs to be done to change the law if it is the will of the people.

This fetus apparently should have been removed by c-section if vaginal delivery was not possible. If the fetus was substainable then the hospital staff could have worked to save both baby and mother. There seems to be some holes in this story.

17 weeks is not sustainable.

Although I have no idea what an "incomplete miscarriage" is.

17 weeks is not sustainable.

Although I have no idea what an "incomplete miscarriage" is.

It is not but I do know they can deliver a fetus(usually by c-section) if the mother's life is in danger and that is not considered an abortion, at least in the states. I am not knowledgeable on Irish law so I am not sure if there is something I am missing about this situation as reported.

Usually with an incomplete miscarriage the fetus is dead and all that is left sadly is the expulsion of the fetus remains or some form of medical intervention like a D&C to prevent complications for the mother. I find it hard to believe that even in a country where abortion is illegal that medical intervention is not allowed when complications set in.

I imagine that she was bleeding heavily but the fetus was still alive. An incomplete miscarriage is when there is still tissue and fetal parts remaining.

All they needed to do was give her a drug to help along that miscarriage, or given her something for the pain. No one should be in horrible pain for an entire 24 hrs.

According to CNN they are allowed for " the life of the mother" but not the "health of the mother"... Although why doctors thought her life wasn't at risk is baffling.

Hmmmm.....something tells me there is more to this than is being reported.

The above statement makes this seem a tad to opportunistic but I suppose anything is possible.

Not being up to par on what has been going on in Ireland in regards to this abortion debate I can't say for certain. I would like to see the doctors records and have them offer their side of what transpired here. Privacy laws appear to be hindering the offering of any concrete information to the public.

I imagine that she was bleeding heavily but the fetus was still alive. An incomplete miscarriage is when there is still tissue and fetal parts remaining.

All they needed to do was give her a drug to help along that miscarriage, or given her something for the pain. No one should be in horrible pain for an entire 24 hrs.

An incomplete miscarriage is when there is still tissue and fetal parts remaining.

Then how could the child be alive?

Well, we know for sure she's dead, and she died of a blood infection after suffering a prolonged miscarriage.

Whether the doctors should have known her life was at risk or assumed the miscarriage would continue naturally I guess is debatable.

Forum List

Back