Woman charged with murder by breastfeeding

We are? Do you have something that shows something she did killed the child?

Well, according to the ME, the child died of morphine poisoning. Either she fed the child morphine directly, or it got it from her breast milk. Either way, she's at fault.

Or the ME is wrong, or even lying.

Please, do yourself a favor and do a modicum of research before you try to say MEs never lie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Hayne

He never said "ME's never lie".

It's absurd leaps like this that make it hard to take you serious sometimes.

We are? Do you have something that shows something she did killed the child?

Well, according to the ME, the child died of morphine poisoning. Either she fed the child morphine directly, or it got it from her breast milk. Either way, she's at fault.

Please, do yourself a favor and do a modicum of research before you try to say MEs never lie.

So you'd rather believe an ME lied than believe a junky OD'd her baby?

sad

They are probably referring to adult doses and not horse doses, which (due to tolerance) is what junkies are usually on.

Now she is a junky before she even goes to trial? What happened to innocent until proven guilty, does it not apply to you because you are infinitely smarter than average?

I am just pointing out some medical fact to you. Morphine is relatively safe when taken as directed. If you are taking a shit ton of it, then there is a potential that you could overdose a baby.

I surmise she is taking a shit ton due to the allegations of Dr. Shopping.

That being said, this could be SIDS and the positive tox could be incidental.

Because we all know doctors, if the ME in this case is actually a doctor, never make mistakes.

Or lie.

I never said he said it, I just saved him the trouble of making a fool of himself by saying it. The fact that you do not understand English is why it is impossible to take you seriously at any time.

So you'd rather believe an ME lied than believe a junky OD'd her baby?

sad

No, I would rather give a mother the benefit of the doubt than believe the government blindly.

I think this is outrageous.

Stephanie Greene is being charged with murder. Her crime? Breastfeeding her newborn.
The unexpected death of a 5 ½ - week-old infant is a mind-numbing tragedy. Facing murder charges in the face of that death is an inconceivable horror. Yet this is happening to Stephanie Greene, 37, a woman currently facing homicide by child abuse charges.
Stephanie lives in Campobello, South Carolina. Prosecutors allege that Stephanie took so much prescription medication that her daughter Alexis died of a morphine overdose ingested via breast milk. The coroner’s report shows the cause of death as drug overdose, because the infant had an elevated blood level of morphine. The case is complicated, because there is no question that Stephanie takes a significant amount of prescription medication for physical ailments (i.e. fibromyalgia, chronic pain, high blood pressure) resulting from a car accident, including MS Contin (a drug that metabolizes as morphine).

Murder by Nursing? | RH Reality Check

Morphine is considered safe by the American Academy of Pediatrics. When I read the story and saw she slept the baby I thought she suffocated accidently.

Morphine Breastfeeding Warnings

Morphine is excreted into human milk in trace amounts. Adverse effects in the nursing infant are unlikely. Morphine is considered compatible with breast-feeding by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Morphine Use During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding | Drugs.com

I would almost bet she was taking way more than was prescribed. Manslaughter charges would seem more appropriate than murder charges.

People sometimes react very strongly to morphine, and it slows down breathing and heart rate considerably.

I wouldn't breast feed an infant if I was taking morphine. No way. I don't know what the docs were thinking.

I think this is outrageous.

Murder by Nursing? | RH Reality Check

Morphine is considered safe by the American Academy of Pediatrics. When I read the story and saw she slept the baby I thought she suffocated accidently.

Morphine Use During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding | Drugs.com

I would almost bet she was taking way more than was prescribed. Manslaughter charges would seem more appropriate than murder charges.

Did you read the story? The police and prosecutor admitted that they have records of all her prescriptions, that she bought them all at the same pharmacy, and that they have absolutely no evidence she abused the drugs. South Carolina sucks for drug laws, you are guilty of possession with intent to sell with over an ounce of marijuana, and under an ounce can still land you in jail for up to a year. Possession of any other drug is a felony offense.

do you know if she was allowed to breast feed while ingesting morphine?

*edit*

nevermind, i just read the o/p through.

there's information missing here or she wouldn't have been charged with murder.

Last edited:

Did you read the story? The police and prosecutor admitted that they have records of all her prescriptions, that she bought them all at the same pharmacy, and that they have absolutely no evidence she abused the drugs. South Carolina sucks for drug laws, you are guilty of possession with intent to sell with over an ounce of marijuana, and under an ounce can still land you in jail for up to a year. Possession of any other drug is a felony offense.

do you know if she was allowed to breast feed while ingesting morphine?

*edit*

nevermind, i just read the o/p through.

there's information missing here or she wouldn't have been charged with murder.

there must be A LOT of information missing because it sure doesn't seem like she INTENDED to kill her child, which is certainly an element to murder. That's why I suggested manslaughter seems more appropriate.

I would imagine that eventually she will plea it down to man 2.

It's easy to pretend to be shocked because a woman was arrested for breast feeding but when you look at the case a little deeper things start to change. It's the same way the liberal media manages to spin a story to get the desired effect. Most people don't have the time or the inclination to do any research on a story promoted by the liberal media so they accept a story which is really an editorial. The spin isn't really a lie so the media still gives the perception of being honest while it is usually promoting a dishonest political agenda.

If she was unknown about this fact of overdose then this case should not be the case of murder.Am I right?

Murder requires intent. It appears there was no intent. Further it appears she was advised it was safe to breast feed while on the medication so one can hardly claim manslaughter either.

I never said he said it, I just saved him the trouble of making a fool of himself by saying it. The fact that you do not understand English is why it is impossible to take you seriously at any time.

:cuckoo:

You left out an important fact windbag. She is also charged with 38 counts of prescription forgery. She was a depraved drug addict. Unintentional manslaughter would be my choice of charges and she will probably plead out to it..

Can she get out of the prescription forgery charges like Rush Limbaugh did? Just wondering or does that only work for people with lots of money? She obviously was taking the drugs for real pain and then became addicted, leading to her abusing these drugs. This shit happens all the time. While I would like to see her held somewhat accountable, I don't see how sending her to prison will benefit anyone.

What i see coming out of this is the mother suing the doctor and hospital who prescribed her the the morphine.......and making millions.
FYI, I have zero interest in suing my doctors or the hospital. Millions of dollars will not bring my daughter back. I just want to live a quiet normal life in peace, be left alone, and hopefully leave this world a little better place, be it volunteering and/or advocating for other mother's who have been unjustly accused, and raise children who are productive, respectful members of society. That being said, I do think the sheriff's department, county coroner's ofc, and the AP should be held accountable for wrongful imprisonment, violation of my 4th amendment rights(there were no seach warrants signed by a judge in order for them to obtain my medical records), slander, and defamation of character.

The media has really sensationalized the story. Yes, there is much more to the case than what was reported. Most of the press did not even use the words "accused of" or "allegedly". There is absolutely no way that authorities could prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" that my daughter ingested so much morphine through my breast milk. The authorities NEVER asked me to submit to a blood test to show what amount of meds were in my system. They NEVER tested my milk. I would have happily obliged, as I had nothing to hide. The doctor shopping and fraudulent prescription charges are absolutely false. I have been going to the same neurologist and Internist for more than six years. I signed releases of information for both doctors, and my ALL my medications were documented by my Internist's records. The news story you referred to quotes the Sheriff's department spokesman, Tony Ivey, claimed I was also taking Oxycontin, which I was never prescribed. Their claim that I'd been abusing my meds is baseless as well. That is just an assumption. I always used the same pharmacy. I thought I'd done everything by the book. Additionally, in the case of the supposed fraud charges, the 38 charges whent back to 2009. I was never on all those meds at once. Does any reasonable person believe I defrauded my doctors and pharmacy for over a year and a half?!? Loosing a child is the absolutely worst thing I had ever been through, then to be accused of being responsible for it-no one can imagine how traumatic this has been. The press also left out that our daughter had been sick with an upper respiratory infection for10 days, that I'd called the pediatrician just the day before with my concerns, and finally that I SUPPLEMENTED with formula for at least half of the time. There is no way anyone can assign guilt based on the limited information in the press.

Thank you Quantum, for being one of the few "voices of reason" here. My life has been nearly devastated, thanks to this whole ordeal. It has really opened my eyes to the fact that innocent people indeed go to prison. It has been mind-bogling how quickly others are so quick to assume the police never make mistakes, or jump to conclusions. I still feel the need to address some of the comments that have been made about me. I'm doubtful that I'll change anyone's closed mind, but still I want to tell my side of the story. I saw one post about being innocent until proven quilty, that it is up to the state to prove one's guilt, rather than having to prove one's innocence. Sadly, that is not the case. First of all, being a chronic pain patient does not make one a junky or an addict. In addition to suffering from fibromyalgia,chronic migraines and muscle spasms, a car accident that nearly took my life, has left me with arthitis in my pelvis, and in other joints that were fractured, I also have severral bulging disks, spinal stenosis,& sciatica, among other disabilities. (Not that my health rpoblems are anyone's business.) Next, ideally, I would have weaed off my meds before becoming pregnant, but thanks to a nurse practioner's inncompetency in performing a pap smear, my IUD was dislodged. My husband and I were overjoyed to learn we were expecting a daughter. I met with Maternal-Fetal-Medicine, after being referred to them by my OB-GYN. The genetic counselor I met with, advised me that it would be more harmful to the baby to discontinue my pain meds, than to keep taking them. This was documented and sent to my OB-GYN. After delivery, I did indeed discuss my medications with the certified lactation consultant, who then referred me to the National Istitues of Health database, which is where she obtained her information about the safety of medications while breastfeeding. I did consult this among other sources, and monitored our daughter's level of conciousness for exessive sleepiness, in addition to supplementing with formula. And for anyone to even suggest that I would have intentially dosed my baby is outrageous. Especially considering how difficult my pregnancy was. We were all so totally in love with Lexi, and I would never ever do anything to harm her or any of my children. I easily would have given my life for our daughter or any of our precious children. For anyone to even suggest that I did anything to harm her, is incredibly hurtful and outrageous. Next, I'd like to address the ME. Our county coronor is an elected official with no medical background. I feel that his office did not look any further than my medication as a possible COD. It could have been due to a number of causes, some that would not be obvious in autopsy, such as a cardiac arrythmia. (I personally have central sleep apnea, which differs from obstructive SA, in that at times, I quit breathing in my sleep. Too much CO2 can cause an infant to quit breathing. Could it be possible that she had it as well and just never started breathing again? There's no way to know for sure. Then there is the issue of her respiratory infection. I did nothing differently, took nothing different or more than any other day. So, if she was going to OD from my milk, how do you think she did fine for the previous six weeks? Finally, aside from human error on the part of the ME, does one not think that it would be possible for there to be a mistake in the labwork? Do people actually think lab tests are never wrong? I just experienced that 2 weeks ago, when my physician checked my cholesterol. I had to have it repeatede because of lab error, which came back with a total cholesterol of 388, when less than a year ago it was 168!!! There is nothing in the evidence that states the tox results were rechecked. In an allegation as serious as homicide, I would think there should be documentation of double or even triple checking the results as well as calibration of the equipment, etc. This is my life here people. This is just a complete fabrication that I did anything or neglected to do anything to my child! Oe other thing. to ppl who say they would never breastfeed while taking any meds-in the hospital, post-partum, I had prescribed 75mg of IM Demerol(which I did not take, but is a standard standing order for post-partum patients) in addition to Percocet, Ambien, and Klonopin! FYI, demerol is transmitted in breast milk at a greater rate than morphine. I don't know if I read the media garbage, if I would make assumptions about the mother or not. I hope not, & this has been a total eye-opener. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Forum List

Back