CDZ Woman charged with boyfriend's suicide

If age didn't matter, then we wouldn't have a different set of "juvenile" laws. While, yes, kids know right from wrong, they do not always understand the permanent consequences that their actions can sometimes have. They have very little life experience on which to base their decisions and because of hormonal changes and other factors, they tend to be bad decision makers, which is why children require parents or guardians to make their important decisions for them.

READ before you comment please, so that you know the story. Thanks.

Okay. I just did.

The two exchanged hundreds of text messages for several days before Roy killed himself. In one, she implied that he would be better off dead: “You’re finally going to be happy in heaven. No more pain. It’s okay to be scared and it’s normal. I mean, you’re about to die.”

Yeah, that person needs to go to jail.

Last edited:
I would agree if the boy was mentally stable. He apparently was not very mentally stable, and this girl was or had to be aware of that fact. I hate what she did, and I would like to see her face charges, but I just can't decide if it is the right thing to do given the circumstances of this particular situation.

I can.

She goaded a mentally unstable young man into taking his life. She needs to go to prison for a long time to think about what she did wrong.

Let's not forget that she was only 17 years old when she sent these texts. I imagine it is quite difficult for a 17-year-old to try to deal with someone's mental health issues. A 17-year-old is just a child in many ways, emotionally, mentally even in many cases. That is one reason why I won't be so hard on her. She was just a stupid kid at the time. She didn't lock him in the truck and force him to commit suicide. The ultimate decision to take his life was his own, as sad as that may be.

we send 17 year olds to prison all the time for committing crimes, especially when they aren't white.

No sympathy for this girl.

READ before you comment please, so that you know the story. Thanks.

Okay. I just did.

The two exchanged hundreds of text messages for several days before Roy killed himself. In one, she implied that he would be better off dead: “You’re finally going to be happy in heaven. No more pain. It’s okay to be scared and it’s normal. I mean, you’re about to die.”

Yeah, that bitch needs to go to jail.

I don't know, since I don't know what her mental state was at the time. Maybe she really did feel he would be better off? Who knows what goes through the mind of a 17-year-old girl who is under that kind of pressure? If she was 30? Then I would be much more harsh on her.

Let's not forget that she was only 17 years old when she sent these texts. I imagine it is quite difficult for a 17-year-old to try to deal with someone's mental health issues. A 17-year-old is just a child in many ways, emotionally, mentally even in many cases. That is one reason why I won't be so hard on her. She was just a stupid kid at the time. She didn't lock him in the truck and force him to commit suicide. The ultimate decision to take his life was his own, as sad as that may be.

we send 17 year olds to prison all the time for committing crimes, especially when they aren't white.

No sympathy for this girl.

If she killed him, then you would be right, but she didn't kill him. He killed himself.

As an aside, it's pretty ironic how many of you I've seen post about how it's just "words on a screen" and that people need to get a thicker skin and other such things.

I don't know, since I don't know what her mental state was at the time. Maybe she really did feel he would be better off? Who knows what goes through the mind of a 17-year-old girl who is under that kind of pressure? If she was 30? Then I would be much more harsh on her.

again, we send 17 years olds of color to prison all the time, and we used to execute them. But since this girl is white and pretty, we are supposed to give her a pass? I don't think so.

I would agree if the boy was mentally stable. He apparently was not very mentally stable, and this girl was or had to be aware of that fact. I hate what she did, and I would like to see her face charges, but I just can't decide if it is the right thing to do given the circumstances of this particular situation.

I can.

She goaded a mentally unstable young man into taking his life. She needs to go to prison for a long time to think about what she did wrong.
Well if you add in what bones brought he was a soon to be convicted rapist! Morally speaking is that loss illegal?
Was his mental instability induced by her or aggravated by his own actions?

Maybe she drove him nuts and he couldn't take it anymore.

Should she face charges given the peculiar circumstances of this case? That was the question I was asking in the OP.

I would think it would hinge on whether a reasonable person could have expected her remarks to result in his death. If she knew her actions could result in his death, I could see a case for criminal negligence.

again, we send 17 years olds of color to prison all the time, and we used to execute them. But since this girl is white and pretty, we are supposed to give her a pass? I don't think so.
Why are you invoking color? What part of the OP is that?

It has nothing to do with that. It has to do with the fact that she didn't kill him. She said some bad things to him, yes. She was only 17 years old at the time, and kids can be cruel. We all know that.

If she killed him, then you would be right, but she didn't kill him. He killed himself.

As an aside, it's pretty ironic how many of you I've seen post about how it's just "words on a screen" and that people need to get a thicker skin and other such things.

Okay, I think there's a major difference between conversations on a message board (where you always have the option of putting me on ignore) and knowingly goading a mentally unstable 17 year old into killing himself.

In fact, I'm reasonably sure that if I did start goading another member into suicide, I would probably get the old ban-hammer put down on me.

Maybe she drove him nuts and he couldn't take it anymore.

Should she face charges given the peculiar circumstances of this case? That was the question I was asking in the OP.

I would think it would hinge on whether a reasonable person could have expected her remarks to result in his death. If she knew her actions could result in his death, I could see a case for criminal negligence.

So should people be criminally charged for not being compassionate enough?

Okay, I think there's a major difference between conversations on a message board (where you always have the option of putting me on ignore) and knowingly goading a mentally unstable 17 year old into killing himself.

In fact, I'm reasonably sure that if I did start goading another member into suicide, I would probably get the old ban-hammer put down on me.
He had the option of turning off his phone. So what's your point? That a text carries. More weight then a message board?

Aww, condemning someone else for the same behavior at a different venue. How convenient. :rolleyes: Liberal hypocrisy at it's finest.

Forum List

Back