CDZ "Woke" is qualitatively eternal and objectively ephemeral

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
I hate to break it to you, but no matter how #woke you think you are, you’re tolerating things right now that will make you cringe in 25 years.
-- Bill Maher (or Bill Maher on Twitter)
[Note: you need to click one of the links above and watch the video to know what the thread theme is about.]

I think "woke" is a fine thing for one to be, but I also think, as does Maher, that one must keep it in perspective. Times change. Cultures change. Accordingly, one coherently can neither pan nor hymn our forebears if one is doing so with "woke" as a predicate. ("Woke" isn't, of course, the sole illegitimate foundation for either tack.) Naturally, if "woke" has nothing to do with it, one can do either and stand on myriad legitimate foundations.

Note to Members:
Remember this is the CDZ. You are required by the rules to post on-topic remarks.

I hate to break it to you, but no matter how #woke you think you are, you’re tolerating things right now that will make you cringe in 25 years.
[Note: you need to click one of the links above and watch the video to know what the thread theme is about.]

I think "woke" is a fine thing for one to be, but I also think, as does Maher, that one must keep it in perspective. Times change. Cultures change. Accordingly, one coherently can neither pan nor hymn our forebears if one is doing so with "woke" as a predicate. ("Woke" isn't, of course, the sole illegitimate foundation for either tack.) Naturally, if "woke" has nothing to do with it, one can do either and stand on myriad legitimate foundations.

Note to Members:
Remember this is the CDZ. You are required by the rules to post on-topic remarks.
Is there a written transcript? My attention span does not include videos, its a personal failing.

From what I understand the debate probably involves if we judge a person by his time of by our time.

I do this on a case by case basis but feel I'm not blinded by my sense of morality but it does affect my opinions.

Naturally I also think my morals are the correct set lol.

Note to Members:
Is there a written transcript? My attention span does not include videos, its a personal failing.

From what I understand the debate probably involves if we judge a person by his time of by our time.

I do this on a case by case basis but feel I'm not blinded by my sense of morality but it does affect my opinions.

Is there a written transcript?
Not that I know of. I don't see one. It's a seven minute monologue. It's not hard to watch and it's rather entertaining. It's got something in it for liberals and conservatives, which is typical for Maher.

I understand the debate probably involves if we judge a person by his time of by our time.
Basically, yes....

I do this on a case by case basis
Well, yes. Context is everything, so yes, case-by-case is the way to do it.

Well, I knew that. LOL

Golly, I hate the term "woke." I hate the jargon "called him out" too. The latter is ghetto, I think, but I don't know where the woke word is from.

(I think your "pan nor hymn" is rather good, though: not jargon, note, original.

But I love "that has issues." And the much older "grok," which I still use on occasion.

I think the difference in valence is that the latter two are deliberately indefinite, unclear on purpose, like another old favorite, "I got hung up." There is something going on here, but I don't care to specify and don't worry about it, they all mean.

Whereas the evil "woke" and "call out" are both aggressive. Coercive as well as judgemental. You aren't woke and you should be woke, and I'm calling you out on it: like that.

And as you say, a few years from now, pray God, "woke" will look different. I am hoping that these awful violent children shrieking about how much they hate "Hate" and rushing to attack a speaker will not seem so "woke" then as it seems to them now.

Forum List

Back