WMD Found in Iraq

jimnyc said:
Now use common sense and show me where bush stated that Iraq was an imminent threat as alien stated. I believe that's what I debated. You guys should rip those who made the comments instead of blaming Bush with every desperate breath.

I bet alot of people, not realizing that there is a debate over if Bush used the exact words "imminent threat" would say that he did. Or asked indirectly..do you believe that Saddam was an immiment threat, would answer yes. Its an arguement alot of prowar advocates use...I think the essence of this is more importantly did the words used by Bush and the administration convey an urgency to enter into this war. The answer to that question I think is YES.

sagegirl said:
I bet alot of people, not realizing that there is a debate over if Bush used the exact words "imminent threat" would say that he did. Or asked indirectly..do you believe that Saddam was an immiment threat, would answer yes. Its an arguement alot of prowar advocates use...I think the essence of this is more importantly did the words used by Bush and the administration convey an urgency to enter into this war. The answer to that question I think is YES.

There's quite a difference between someone saying there is an urgency to the war after so many failed resolutions and uncertainty with Iraq's failure to fully comply with inspectors and someone saying Iraq is an imminent threat to the US. I had no trouble understanding what Bush and his administration said and I don't know why so many have trouble comprehending this.

There was an urgency to this war. Anytime soldiers are putting their lives on the line it is urgent.

There was an urgency to remove Saddam and make sure WMD cannot be used against innocents. This was tried the diplomatic way for 12 years and failed.

And rightfully so, the urgency should have been quite obvious to anyone seeing the thirteen years of failed diplomacy!

Which apparently worked well enough to prohibit Saddam from developing weapons after the first Gulf War. (See: NO WMD IN IRAQ)

How do you define an "imminent threat"? Must the President wait until 3000 more Americans are brutally murdered for a threat to be considered imminent. Where is the line? Look at the big picture. Saddam was an enormous threat to the American people. The US- and the world- is an much safer place without this cruel man in power.

No, but he could have at least demonstrated some links to those responsible for attacking us on 9/11, for which are "tenuous" at best. Try again. The US and our "allies" are now longer much more vulnerable to attack. If we wanted to kill the terrorists, we failed miserably. While our troops were invading Baghdad, we let Osama slip away, and reform the ranks of Al Qaeda.

alien21010 said:
Which apparently worked well enough to prohibit Saddam from developing weapons after the first Gulf War. (See: NO WMD IN IRAQ)

But didn't prevent Saddam from toying with the inspectors and preparing the development of WMD. Nor did it quelch his desire to build nuclear weapons. Nor did they prevent Saddam from firing upon US planes. Nor did they prevent Saddam from oppressing and/or having his citizens killed. Nor did they prevent Saddam from spending all the countries own fortunes on himself and new palaces. I don't think "well enough" is the correct term. (See: reports from Hanx Blix, David Kay & Charles Duelfer)

But didn't prevent Saddam from toying with the inspectors and preparing the development of WMD. Nor did it quelch his desire to build nuclear weapons. Nor did they prevent Saddam from firing upon US planes. Nor did they prevent Saddam from oppressing and/or having his citizens killed. Nor did they prevent Saddam from spending all the countries own fortunes on himself and new palaces. I don't think "well enough" is the correct term. (See: reports from Hanx Blix, David Kay & Charles Duelfer)

Preparing the development of WMD? What are you talking about? There is a huge leap of logic required to leap from intent to action. Without any evidence to support action, you cannot make that leap. Therefore, your argument is null and void.

I desire an apple, but I do nothing to acquire that apple, therefore I am guilty of having the apple?

Well it would make sense for him to want nuclear weapons as a deterrent to a US invasion. Look what happened. If he had had nuclear weapons we most likely would not be over there right now, would we? North Korea and Iran are rapidly pushing their nuclear programs forward, because they know that they are the only successful countermeasures against American military force.

Yet again, we are discussing issues that are completely irrelevent to the justification for use of force in Iraq. No one doubts that he killed his own people. No one questions that he shot at American planes (but we retaliated and destroyed the facilities that fired at us everytime). No one questions those things. The fact of the matter remains that the JUSTIFICATION for going into Iraq, was that Saddam possessed WMD. Simply put, this cause has proven to been false, even after repeated assurances by the President of the United States. Moreover, in the time since, it seems as though the administration of the PotUS purposefully and deliberately squelched those within the intelligence community to heighten their plans.

Where are the WMD? Where are they? WHERE? UN Resolution 1441 only calls for force in the event that there was no compliance on Iraqs part. Apparently there was compliance, and therefore we acted in violation of 1441, and violation of international law. At which point does the invasion of a sovereign nation become legal under international law?

Please. Explain.

alien21010 said:
Where are the WMD? Where are they? WHERE? UN Resolution 1441 only calls for force in the event that there was no compliance on Iraqs part. Apparently there was compliance, and therefore we acted in violation of 1441, and violation of international law. At which point does the invasion of a sovereign nation become legal under international law?

Please. Explain.

They failed to fully comply with inspectors. This was noted by every inspector that was involved. That is a breach of said resolutions. That is 'non compliance' at it's best.

Shit, even the inspectors clearly stated that Iraq was in breach of resolutions until the very end. Where have you been?

For those that were sleeping when Kay released his report:

http://www.vermontgop.org/kay_report.html

The interim findings of David Kay and the Iraq Survey Group make two things abundantly clear: Saddam Hussein's Iraq was in material breach of its United Nations obligations before the Security Council passed Resolution 1441 last November, and Iraq went further into breach after the resolution was passed.

Kay's interim findings offer detailed evidence of Hussein's efforts to defy the international community to the last. … It reaffirms that Iraq's forbidden programs spanned more than two decades, involving thousands of people and billions of dollars.

What the world knew last November about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction programs was enough to justify the threat of serious consequences under Resolution 1441. What we now know as a result of David Kay's efforts confirms … that we and our coalition partners were right to eliminate the danger that his regime posed to the world.

Kay and his team have "discovered dozens of WMD-related program activities and significant amounts of equipment that Iraq concealed from the United Nations during the inspections that began in late 2002

"We have discovered dozens of WMD-related program activities and significant amounts of equipment that Iraq concealed from the United Nations during the inspections that began in late 2002."

As we read David Kay's report last week on the weapons search in Iraq, the paragraph above is the real news. It concludes, … that Saddam Hussein was systematically attempting to evade inspections in blatant violation of United Nations Resolution 1441.

CIA Iraq arms inspector David Kay on Sunday lashed out at how stories last week on his preliminary report focused on how his team did not find weapons of mass destruction when they did locate stores of deadly biological agents and of other weapons which violated UN resolutions. On Fox News Sunday, Kay asserted: “I'm sort of amazed at what was powerful information about both their intent and their actual activities that were not known and were hidden from UN inspectors seems not to have made it to the press. This is information that, had it been available last year, would have been headline news.”

And also:

Snow: “Now, you also talk about new research on biological capable agents, such as Brucella, Congo Crimean Hemorrhagic Fever, Ricin and Naflotoxin [ph?].”

Kay: “That's exactly right, and that's the things I'm surprised no one has paid attention to. The new strains they're working on, including Congo-Crimean Hemorrhagic Fever, are something that should have been reported to the U.N. In fact, all of the work should have been reported. It was not reported. This is activities, prohibited activities they've carried on. And this continued right up to 2003 in these four cases, unreported, undiscovered.”

It concludes, … that Saddam Hussein was systematically attempting to evade inspections in blatant violation of United Nations Resolution 1441.

Even for those that missed written reports, this was all over the news for *weeks*.. Unless you live in a cave, you're just in ignorant denial, and grasping at straws.

And that same report that has been out for weeks established that there is evidence that Saddam Hussein kept some of the WMDs and transferred to a third country, Syria is considered the most likely culprit.

So perhaps those that say others are hiding under a rock should read the whole report.

Finally, something that puts this war back into perspective. For so long, we’ve had the negative attributes of this war pounded into our heads. Suicide bombings, beheadings, Iraqis taking to the streets denouncing “the occupation,” and the list goes on. Upon seeing this movie, however, the real reasons for taking out Saddam Hussein resurfaced. Weapon of Mass Destruction: The Murderous Reign of Saddam Hussein is a refreshing alternative to the negative press the war has been receiving.

I was shocked to see that 1.3 million Iraqis were murdered at the hands of this despot, who did nothing more than squander the country’s incredible wealth on himself and his repugnant sons. Mass graves, gas bombings, torture chambers, these were all the norm in Iraq before the invasion. This being the case, it is clear that Iraqis are infinitely better off now that this man is no longer a threat to them.

Do yourself a favor: go to http://www.wmddvd.com/*and read more about the film. If anything, it will reinforce your views that something incredibly positive has occurred as a result of the invasion
Turns out we were lied to

Forum List

Back