Without precedent -- except for all the other times....

Cal

Since 2010™
Jan 4, 2010
Right behind you!
Amazing article from Steve Benen:
Monday is, of course, Memorial Day, and President Obama will honor the day at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery outside Chicago, while Vice President Biden appears at Arlington National Cemetery. This, apparently, has caused a stir in some circles.

Glenn Beck told his minions this week that that the president "has decided not to honor our troops on Memorial Day," which isn't even close to true. The deranged media personality, apparently referring to Obama's decision not to be at Arlington, added, "Maybe this has happened before. I don't recall it. "

In reality, this isn't especially unusual.

Obama is not the first president to miss the Arlington ceremony. Ronald Reagan spoke at West Point one year, and went to his California ranch another year. George H.W. Bush, a war veteran, did not go at all. Bill Clinton, who did not serve in Vietnam and had a rocky time with the military, went to Arlington all eight years, and George W. Bush, who also avoided combat service in Vietnam, attended from 2003 onward.

Obama's plans, in other words, are generating some criticism, but there's really not much new here. The president's Memorial Day schedule is a "story," despite being fairly routine.

Which, as it turns out, one of the defining trends of the political discourse over the last 16 months. Several months ago, Atrios noted, "When Dems are president, perfectly normally ways of doing things are rebranded as somehow odd."

Ain't that the truth.

* Teleprompters: This trend of characterizing routine developments as controversial started very early in the Obama presidency. Every modern president has used teleprompters, but Republicans and the media thought it was hilarious and wildly important when Obama did the same thing.

* Bowing: Several presidents have been photographed bowing to foreign heads of state, but Republicans and the media thought it was absolutely scandalous when Obama did the same thing when meeting leaders where bowing is customary.

* Talking to school kids: Presidents Reagan and H.W. Bush spoke to school children in national addresses, even taking a little time to push their political agendas. When Obama delivered a speech encouraging kids to do well in school, Republicans freaked out; Fox News compared the president to Saddam Hussein; and the New York Times literally ran a front-page story about it.

* Czars: For a half-century, presidents have relied on so-called "czars" for various policy areas. By one count, George W. Bush had 36 czar positions filled by 46 people during his two terms. No one cared. Obama's use of czars became the subject of months of media scrutiny, and even congressional hearings in response to Republican apoplexy.

* Oval Office attire: Several modern presidents have been seen in the Oval Office without wearing a suit jacket. When Obama did it, Republicans ran to the press to complain, and the media actually published pieces on the subject.

* Criticizing partisan media: White House complaints about unfair media coverage are as old as the republic. When the Obama White House noted what is plainly true about Fox News -- it's a Republican outlet -- the media went a little berserk, with the Washington Post and NPR characterizing the administration's criticism as "Nixonian."

* Reconciliation: Republican policymakers have relied on reconciliation to get around filibusters for decades. When Obama recommended the same tactic for health care, the GOP pretended it was an outrageous assault on the political process, and the media pretended Republicans' cries were legitimate.

* Industry bailouts: Government bailouts of struggling American industries and major companies have been common for decades. When Obama rescued GM, it was used as an example of his purported desire to a communist dictator.

* Campaign intervention: Every president has had a hand in campaign activities, with several presidents offering jobs to candidates to get them out of various races. When the Obama White House intervened in Pennsylvania's Democratic Senate primary -- offering a House member an unpaid advisory gig -- the media found it fascinating and Republicans called for the FBI and a special prosecutor to intervene.

* Memorial Day: Many presidents have not appeared at Arlington on Memorial Day. When Obama does it, there's a "controversy."

Read the rest at the link.

I know I'm a little late in posting this, but I just found it..Felt that Benen put everything into perspective, like I haven't seen done in awhile.

Republicans applying a double standard???

No...they wouldn't do that

Everything Obama does is unprecedented

I remember Bush holding hands with whatshisface.

And I think there was an airline bailout in 2000, or somewhere around there. And TARP was under Bush, too. Was there a bailout during the S&L crisis in the 80s?

And I guess BigAg subsidies could be considered a bailout of sorts.

Begin the Pissing Match!

Monday is, of course, Memorial Day, and President Obama will honor the day at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery outside Chicago, while Vice President Biden appears at Arlington National Cemetery. This, apparently, has caused a stir in some circles.

Glenn Beck told his minions this week that that the president "has decided not to honor our troops on Memorial Day," which isn't even close to true. The deranged media personality, apparently referring to Obama's decision not to be at Arlington, added, "Maybe this has happened before. I don't recall it. "

Obama is not the first president to miss the Arlington ceremony. Ronald Reagan spoke at West Point one year, and went to his California ranch another year. George H.W. Bush, a war veteran, did not go at all. Bill Clinton, who did not serve in Vietnam and had a rocky time with the military, went to Arlington all eight years, and George W. Bush, who also avoided combat service in Vietnam, attended from 2003 onward.

Obama's plans, in other words, are generating some criticism, but there's really not much new here. The president's Memorial Day schedule is a "story," despite being fairly routine.

Which, as it turns out, one of the defining trends of the political discourse over the last 16 months. Several months ago, Atrios noted, "When Dems are president, perfectly normally ways of doing things are rebranded as somehow odd."

Ain't that the truth.

* Teleprompters: This trend of characterizing routine developments as controversial started very early in the Obama presidency. Every modern president has used teleprompters, but Republicans and the media thought it was hilarious and wildly important when Obama did the same thing.

* Bowing: Several presidents have been photographed bowing to foreign heads of state, but Republicans and the media thought it was absolutely scandalous when Obama did the same thing when meeting leaders where bowing is customary.

* Talking to school kids: Presidents Reagan and H.W. Bush spoke to school children in national addresses, even taking a little time to push their political agendas. When Obama delivered a speech encouraging kids to do well in school, Republicans freaked out; Fox News compared the president to Saddam Hussein; and the New York Times literally ran a front-page story about it.

* Czars: For a half-century, presidents have relied on so-called "czars" for various policy areas. By one count, George W. Bush had 36 czar positions filled by 46 people during his two terms. No one cared. Obama's use of czars became the subject of months of media scrutiny, and even congressional hearings in response to Republican apoplexy.

* Oval Office attire: Several modern presidents have been seen in the Oval Office without wearing a suit jacket. When Obama did it, Republicans ran to the press to complain, and the media actually published pieces on the subject.

* Criticizing partisan media: White House complaints about unfair media coverage are as old as the republic. When the Obama White House noted what is plainly true about Fox News -- it's a Republican outlet -- the media went a little berserk, with the Washington Post and NPR characterizing the administration's criticism as "Nixonian."

* Reconciliation: Republican policymakers have relied on reconciliation to get around filibusters for decades. When Obama recommended the same tactic for health care, the GOP pretended it was an outrageous assault on the political process, and the media pretended Republicans' cries were legitimate.

* Industry bailouts: Government bailouts of struggling American industries and major companies have been common for decades. When Obama rescued GM, it was used as an example of his purported desire to a communist dictator.

* Campaign intervention: Every president has had a hand in campaign activities, with several presidents offering jobs to candidates to get them out of various races. When the Obama White House intervened in Pennsylvania's Democratic Senate primary -- offering a House member an unpaid advisory gig -- the media found it fascinating and Republicans called for the FBI and a special prosecutor to intervene.

* Memorial Day: Many presidents have not appeared at Arlington on Memorial Day. When Obama does it, there's a "controversy."

I know I'm a little late in posting this, but I just found it..Felt that Benen put everything into perspective, like I haven't seen done in awhile.
I agree.

After the Bush fiasco, the right is after blood. Anything the president does or doesn't do will be cast in a negative light. With regard to Glenn Beck, Ron Steward said it all.
"Finally, a guy who says what people who aren't thinking are thinking." –Jon Stewart, on the "The Daily Show" (Source)

If everything that Obama is doing that is objectionable is just something some Republican has done before then how can anyone say Obama came to Washington to change things?
Obama=George W Bush's 3rd term.

Ain't that the truth.

wonder why he didn't list 8 years of Bush Bashing and the two years of libturd whining?? doyathink? :lol::lol::lol:

wonder why he didn't list the libturds screaming the "reconcilliation" was a threat to democracy.. now they use it to pass the most monumental legislation that 80% of Americans didn't want.. doyathink??

I remember Bush holding hands with whatshisface.

And I think there was an airline bailout in 2000, or somewhere around there. And TARP was under Bush, too. Was there a bailout during the S&L crisis in the 80s?

And I guess BigAg subsidies could be considered a bailout of sorts.

Begin the Pissing Match!

^ :eusa_whistle:..

You rightys are stupid for blowing this off as a 'he did it, so I can' type of excuse..No, I'm just showing the hypocricy in the media and tea party outrage! I logged onto facebook and saw at least 5 postings about Obama not going to arlington on memorial day..Of course none mentioning that Reagan did the same thing..As did Bush Sr. and Bush Jr.

It's like I heard it somewhere (can't remember where), 'If the tea party were really concerned about fiscal imprudence and other things they protest now..Where were they under bush? And why do they keep jumping on Obama for doing thins Bush did without a hint of protest?'

Last edited:
Bush didn't have to bow. He was kissing on the lips. At least in public. Who knows what he was kissing in private?

But that kiss to Jeff Gannon, maybe it didn't count? It might have been "paid for". Or not. It could have been a "freebie".

I still think they should release the records. Who was it that signed Jeff Gannon into the White House for all those "overnighters"? People want to know.

bush_kisses_jeff_gannon.jpg

Guckert made more than two dozen excursions to the White House when there were no scheduled briefings.

On at least fourteen occasions, Secret Service records show either the entry or exit time missing. Generally, the existing entry or exit times correlate with press conferences; on most of these days, the records show that Guckert checked in but was never processed out.

In March, 2003, Guckert left the White House twice on days he had never checked in with the Secret Service. Over the next 22 months, Guckert failed to check out with the Service on fourteen days. On several of these visits, Guckert either entered or exited by a different entry/exit point than his usual one. On one of these days, no briefing was held; on another, he checked in twice but failed to check out.

http://www.rawstory.com/exclusives/byrne/secret_service_gannon_424.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Ain't that the truth.

It's called partisan politics. When Clinton was in office the Republicans nitpicked him. When Bush was in office the Democrats nitpicked him. Now Obama is in office and the Republicans nitpick him. It's a love-hate relationship they have in D.C.

Last edited:
Republicans applying a double standard???

No...they wouldn't do that

Everything Obama does is unprecedented.
....An evaluation, of insight (only) "conservatives" are capable!!

"conservatives"
always remind me of Archie Bunker, who said Blacks could dance, so well, ".....because o' that extra-bone they've got in their feet."

:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back