Without "original sin" all of Christianity collapses

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
If you don't buy the literal idea of a talking snake and a man created out of dust and a woman created out of man's rib, then how can you possibly believe the concept of original sin?

All of Christianity collapses without this biblical myth. Without "original sin", human beings wouldn't be "sinners" in need of "redemption in the form of a "redeemer or savior", Christ. Until Augustine, Christians regarded freedom, not redemption as the primary message of Genesis.

"...I came to see that for nearly the first four hundred years of our era, Christians regarded "FREEDOM as the primary message of Genesis 1-3. Freedom in its many forms, including free will, freedom from demonic powers, freedom from social and sexual obligations, freedom from tyrannical government and from fate; and self mastery as the source of such freedom. With Augustine, this message changed.

(E. Pagels, ADAM, EVE, AND THE SERPENT, intro p.XXII, 1988, Random House)

Last edited:
Yes without original sin we would still be in protected Eden and not out in a fallen world. There would have been no need for Christs Sacrifice. I wish Adam and Eve had listened to God and not touched the tree. Yes early Chrisitans did prize freedom from the law of Moses and it's restrictions. Unfortunatley man has heaped up new Dogma in it's place.

If you don't buy the literal idea of a talking snake and a man created out of dust and a woman created out of man's rib, then how can you possibly believe the concept of original sin?

All of Christianity collapses without this biblical myth. Without "original sin", human beings wouldn't be "sinners" in need of "redemption in the form of a "redeemer or savior", Christ. Until Augustine, Christians regarded freedom, not redemption as the primary message of Genesis.

"...I came to see that for nearly the first four hundred years of our era, Christians regarded "FREEDOM as the primary message of Genesis 1-3. Freedom in its many forms, including free will, freedom from demonic powers, freedom from social and sexual obligations, freedom from tyrannical government and from fate; and self mastery as the source of such freedom. With Augustine, this message changed.

What do you care???? I mean really..... wtf?

How about caring whether or not your president has a moral compass or not :dunno:

No. it doesnt. but that's irrelevant because man is fallen and imperfect. That's undeniable. Are you seriously claiming that you are without fault?

As I understand it, the idea of Original Sin was created to explain why God, who created us and supposedly loves us, would allow us to be subjected to sufffering and death...

yeah, sure... it's a bit of a stretch, but it makes a certain amount of sense if you think about it...

at least as much sense as any other creation myth...

• Banned
No. it doesnt. but that's irrelevant because man is fallen and imperfect. That's undeniable. Are you seriously claiming that you are without fault?

I completely disagree with you. All beings are pure from the beginning and have Buddha nature.

That nature is like a crystal, and it has the capacity for rainbow like radiance.

Crystal are covered in rock, and the rock must be refined away. The rock doesn't damage the crystal in any way.

So our impurites of mind, ignorance, anger, attachment, jealousy and pride are like the rock covering the crystal. By doing meditation practice, the rock, or adventitious flaws are refined away revealing the crystal purity and rainbow radiance of awareness within.

Different views. That's all I'm gonna say.

I know you don't respect other people's spiritual views, but I had to say the truth anyway.

I completely disagree with you. All beings are pure from the beginning and have Buddha nature.

That nature is like a crystal, and it has the capacity for rainbow like radiance.

Crystal are covered in rock, and the rock must be refined away. The rock doesn't damage the crystal in any way.

So our impurites of mind, ignorance, anger, attachment, jealousy and pride are like the rock covering the crystal. By doing meditation practice, the rock, or adventitious flaws are refined away revealing the crystal purity and rainbow radiance of awareness within.

Different views. That's all I'm gonna say.

I know you don't respect other people's spiritual views, but I had to say the truth anyway.

No amount of meditation will ever make a human pure. It's just not possible. Babies are not even born pure. If they were there would never be a birth defect.

Why was there a tree of knowledge in the garden of Eden.

Would you leave a loaded gun around little kids with the chance of them playing with it?

In the end, it appears that the all knowing God did not think of the dangers to his wonderful creations. Or want to blame someone else for his mistakes.

At least until until, thought, word, and action get in the way. :lol:

No, without original sin we would not have a fallen world and all the false cults, like buhdism.

Also, the myth is false religions like buhdism.

Assuming there is a singular consciousness to the universe, aka God, it's my opinion there exists only that consciousness and everything that is physical. The existense of the physical universe came into being the moment that consciousness became self-aware. That self-awareness resulted in the release of pure energy which eventually condensed into all that is physical and tangible.

Then end. :)

Assuming there is a singular consciousness to the universe, aka God, it's my opinion there exists only that consciousness and everything that is physical. The existense of the physical universe came into being the moment that consciousness became self-aware. That self-awareness resulted in the release of pure energy which eventually condensed into all that is physical and tangible.

Until it kicks you in the ass. ;) Intent matters. Always did, always will. My question to you would be... "Do you see yourself of more value than the tangents you create?"

Without the notion of "original sin" would none of us be sinners?

Indeed, with or without the notion of "original sin" wouldn't all of us still be "sinners?"

And if we are sinners, then Christianity has a place for it involves love and forgiveness of sin.

Until it kicks you in the ass. ;) Intent matters. Always did, always will. My question to you would be... "Do you see yourself of more value than the tangents you create?"

Yeah. Because without me, there'd be no tangients created by... me.
And I create groovy tangients. :)

Yeah. Because without me, there'd be no tangients created by... me.
And I create groovy tangients. :)

Yes you do. :)

New Topics

Forum List

Back