Without "original sin" all of Christianity collapses

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Sky Dancer, May 10, 2012.

1. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    If you don't buy the literal idea of a talking snake and a man created out of dust and a woman created out of man's rib, then how can you possibly believe the concept of original sin?

All of Christianity collapses without this biblical myth. Without "original sin", human beings wouldn't be "sinners" in need of "redemption in the form of a "redeemer or savior", Christ. Until Augustine, Christians regarded freedom, not redemption as the primary message of Genesis.

"...I came to see that for nearly the first four hundred years of our era, Christians regarded "FREEDOM as the primary message of Genesis 1-3. Freedom in its many forms, including free will, freedom from demonic powers, freedom from social and sexual obligations, freedom from tyrannical government and from fate; and self mastery as the source of such freedom. With Augustine, this message changed.

(E. Pagels, ADAM, EVE, AND THE SERPENT, intro p.XXII, 1988, Random House)

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  2. laughinReaper

laughinReaper Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +582
    Yes without original sin we would still be in protected Eden and not out in a fallen world. There would have been no need for Christs Sacrifice. I wish Adam and Eve had listened to God and not touched the tree. Yes early Chrisitans did prize freedom from the law of Moses and it's restrictions. Unfortunatley man has heaped up new Dogma in it's place.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173

What do you care???? I mean really..... wtf?

How about caring whether or not your president has a moral compass or not :dunno:

4. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Weren't we all born of sin?

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    No. it doesnt. but that's irrelevant because man is fallen and imperfect. That's undeniable. Are you seriously claiming that you are without fault?

6. bayoubill

bayoubill aka Sheik Yerbouti... Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +930
    As I understand it, the idea of Original Sin was created to explain why God, who created us and supposedly loves us, would allow us to be subjected to sufffering and death...

yeah, sure... it's a bit of a stretch, but it makes a certain amount of sense if you think about it...

at least as much sense as any other creation myth...

7. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    I completely disagree with you. All beings are pure from the beginning and have Buddha nature.

That nature is like a crystal, and it has the capacity for rainbow like radiance.

Crystal are covered in rock, and the rock must be refined away. The rock doesn't damage the crystal in any way.

So our impurites of mind, ignorance, anger, attachment, jealousy and pride are like the rock covering the crystal. By doing meditation practice, the rock, or adventitious flaws are refined away revealing the crystal purity and rainbow radiance of awareness within.

Different views. That's all I'm gonna say.

I know you don't respect other people's spiritual views, but I had to say the truth anyway.

8. sassmcghee

sassmcghee Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No amount of meditation will ever make a human pure. It's just not possible. Babies are not even born pure. If they were there would never be a birth defect.

9. amrchaos

amrchaos Pentheus torn apart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Why was there a tree of knowledge in the garden of Eden.

Would you leave a loaded gun around little kids with the chance of them playing with it?

In the end, it appears that the all knowing God did not think of the dangers to his wonderful creations. Or want to blame someone else for his mistakes.

10. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Where can I get ona them thar trees ?
    I'll make a batch of punch and serve it at the RNC shindig so they'll know the difference betwixt good and evul.