Without Obamacare "I'd have lost the farm," says Alabama farmer.

My bad...once more with content:

Without Obamacare 'I'd have lost the farm,' says Alabama farmer

Sometimes it helps to put a human face on the reasons why access to health insurance and affordable care is important.

Hank Adcock of Nectar lost half his right hand in a farming accident in June – but he'll tell anybody who will listen that he would have lost a lot more if it weren't for Obamacare.

"I'd a lost the farm, I guess," said Adcock.

The farm has been in his family for three generations, and Adcock has been working it for most of his 62 years. In June, both hands got caught in a hay baler while Adcock worked alone on Straight Mountain.

The machine yanked off his right ring and pinkie fingers, along with most of the muscle and bones connecting them to his wrist. He pulled the right hand out with his left, which then got caught, crushed and cut in the machine.

Adcock estimates that it took nearly 10 minutes to free himself from the machine. Then he wrapped up his mangled right hand and drove his truck – a stick shift – to the nearest house.

"Us country folk are tough," he said.

But they aren't particularly rich, which is why the Adcocks didn't have health coverage since the late 1980s. The family couldn't afford to pay nearly $1,200 a month for a policy.

The Obamacare policy they signed up for last year cost $102 a month, and it completely covered Hank's $63,000 hospital bill. Without it, the family could have been financially ruined.

"I tell everyone I can about Obamacare, but some people don't want nothing to do with it." Adcock said.

This year, even fewer people may be open to hearing his story. Experts are predicting slower enrollment in Alabama and across the nation in 2016. Open enrollment begins on Sunday.

Officials at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services released estimates earlier this month that only about 1 million to 1.5 million people would gain health insurance through the marketplace this year. About 9 million gained coverage during the first two enrollment periods.

Marketplace coverage in Alabama has grown more slowly than the national average in the first two years of the program. Only 28 percent of eligible Alabamians have purchased coverage on the insurance exchange, compared to 36 percent nationwide, according to data from the Kaiser Family Foundation.

The uninsured rate in Alabama has fallen from 17.7 percent to 14.5 percent since the launch of Obamacare, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

In Alabama, about 160,000 people who haven't enrolled are eligible for tax credits that would offset the costs of healthcare coverage through the marketplace, according to Kaiser.

Those tax credits made it possible for the Adcocks to afford their Blue Cross health plan.

"I tell everyone I can about Obamacare, but some people don't want nothing to do with it." Adcock said.

An analysis of premium changes in 50 U.S. cities for 2016 shows that the benchmark silver plan – which is the most popular, will cost approximately 9 percent more next year in Birmingham, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. But customers eligible for tax credits could end up paying much less.

"While you are seeing premiums going up in Alabama, it's pretty much on par with the average you're seeing across the country," said Cynthia Cox, associate director of the Program for Study of Health Reform and Private Insurance at the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Growth has been slower in many of the states that didn't expand Medicaid. In many cases, people who would qualify for tax credits under Obamacare may not want to get coverage because they don't trust it, said Doug Hoffman, a navigator for Enroll Alabama.

Hank Adcock was wary of Obamacare coverage when he first spoke to Hoffman. His suspicions weren't driven by politics, but by concerns about the legitimacy of the coverage.

"There are just so many con artists out there these days," he said.

Although there is still distrust in Alabama, cost is not as big an obstacle as it is in parts of Tennessee, where premiums are expected to increase by more than 38 percent.

Many states with low enrollment are experiencing bigger increases in cost than Alabama, Cox said. One of the reasons that costs aren't increasing more may be due to the participation of the state's young people. Only about 28 percent of those enrolled nationwide are young, but in Alabama, it's 32 percent.

"Despite the relatively few people enrolled, Alabama has a large number of young adults," Cox said.

Many Alabamians who already have Obamacare coverage will be shopping for new policies this year. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama – which dominates the insurance market in the state – announced that it would discontinue its only platinum plan and one of its gold offerings. The more expensive plans are less popular with consumers than bronze and silver plans, and the insurer sought hefty premium increases in the summer.

The good news for customers who are reenrolling and looking for a different plan is that shopping on the marketplace seems to save customers money, according to the Department of Health and Human Services. In Alabama, customers who changed plans between 2014 and 2015 saved an average of $16 a month according to the department.

Hoffman said the state still struggles with a large number of people who fall into the "Medicaid gap." Since the state opted out of expanding Medicaid, many of its lowest-income residents who would have been covered by the program do not qualify for tax subsidies that would help them afford private insurance on the exchange. In Alabama, 185,000 people fall into the Medicaid gap.

"About half of them are working," Hoffman said.

The Adcocks could fall into that gap starting next year, with the decrease in income resulting from Hank's injury.

He and his wife Sharon will do whatever it takes to keep their income above the level required to qualify for tax credits. They are considering selling a couple cows.

"It's the best thing that ever happened to us," Adcock said. "We'll do anything to keep it."

The myth that "the only people benefiting from this are leeches who don't work and expect something for nothing" is just that.
I am glad he had coverage,but that's not the point of this OP,he would have treatment and healthcare,if he had coverage or not,you will never be denied necessary care ever,he is also a stupid dumb ass for putting his hands into a running hay bayor,rule number 1!!! turn off all machinery before you work on it.
The point of the OP was to lie about this man who dared to discuss how the ACA helped him. And, yes, he would have received health care. But he would then have been required to pay for it. People who owe others money are sued for that money. When they cannot pay the money, they can have their property seized and sold to secure payment. Perhaps you are one of those who prefer to have others pay for them. Most Americans prefer that you take responsibility for your own healthcare.
Ya so make payments like everyone else,you can work out affordable payment plans with any hospital,just did that myself.This mime that without O care it would be on others backs is bull shit,with O care it most certainly is on others backs,hint subsidies are paid by others.

Hank is a nickname.

So we have established that either the family farm doesn't exist, hank adcock doesn't exist, or he does exist and was in no danger of losing the farm.
Then try looking under Henry, you stupid fuck. I did. No Henry either. Nor is there a Sharon Adcock, his wife. And the name on the property is Hank. Hank may very well be his legal name.

Sometimes it helps to put a human face on the reasons why access to health insurance and affordable care is important.

Hank Adcock of Nectar lost half his right hand in a farming accident in June – but he'll tell anybody who will listen that he would have lost a lot more if it weren't for Obamacare.

The farm has been in his family for three generations, and Adcock has been working it for most of his 62 years. In June, both hands got caught in a hay baler while Adcock worked alone on Straight Mountain.

The machine yanked off his right ring and pinkie fingers, along with most of the muscle and bones connecting them to his wrist. He pulled the right hand out with his left, which then got caught, crushed and cut in the machine.

Adcock estimates that it took nearly 10 minutes to free himself from the machine. Then he wrapped up his mangled right hand and drove his truck – a stick shift – to the nearest house.

But they aren't particularly rich, which is why the Adcocks didn't have health coverage since the late 1980s. The family couldn't afford to pay nearly $1,200 a month for a policy.

The Obamacare policy they signed up for last year cost $102 a month, and it completely covered Hank's $63,000 hospital bill. Without it, the family could have been financially ruined.

This year, even fewer people may be open to hearing his story. Experts are predicting slower enrollment in Alabama and across the nation in 2016. Open enrollment begins on Sunday.

Officials at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services released estimates earlier this month that only about 1 million to 1.5 million people would gain health insurance through the marketplace this year. About 9 million gained coverage during the first two enrollment periods.

Marketplace coverage in Alabama has grown more slowly than the national average in the first two years of the program. Only 28 percent of eligible Alabamians have purchased coverage on the insurance exchange, compared to 36 percent nationwide, according to data from the Kaiser Family Foundation.

The uninsured rate in Alabama has fallen from 17.7 percent to 14.5 percent since the launch of Obamacare, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

In Alabama, about 160,000 people who haven't enrolled are eligible for tax credits that would offset the costs of healthcare coverage through the marketplace, according to Kaiser.

Those tax credits made it possible for the Adcocks to afford their Blue Cross health plan.

An analysis of premium changes in 50 U.S. cities for 2016 shows that the benchmark silver plan – which is the most popular, will cost approximately 9 percent more next year in Birmingham, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. But customers eligible for tax credits could end up paying much less.

"While you are seeing premiums going up in Alabama, it's pretty much on par with the average you're seeing across the country," said Cynthia Cox, associate director of the Program for Study of Health Reform and Private Insurance at the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Growth has been slower in many of the states that didn't expand Medicaid. In many cases, people who would qualify for tax credits under Obamacare may not want to get coverage because they don't trust it, said Doug Hoffman, a navigator for Enroll Alabama.

Hank Adcock was wary of Obamacare coverage when he first spoke to Hoffman. His suspicions weren't driven by politics, but by concerns about the legitimacy of the coverage.

Although there is still distrust in Alabama, cost is not as big an obstacle as it is in parts of Tennessee, where premiums are expected to increase by more than 38 percent.

Many states with low enrollment are experiencing bigger increases in cost than Alabama, Cox said. One of the reasons that costs aren't increasing more may be due to the participation of the state's young people. Only about 28 percent of those enrolled nationwide are young, but in Alabama, it's 32 percent.

"Despite the relatively few people enrolled, Alabama has a large number of young adults," Cox said.

Many Alabamians who already have Obamacare coverage will be shopping for new policies this year. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama – which dominates the insurance market in the state – announced that it would discontinue its only platinum plan and one of its gold offerings. The more expensive plans are less popular with consumers than bronze and silver plans, and the insurer sought hefty premium increases in the summer.

The good news for customers who are reenrolling and looking for a different plan is that shopping on the marketplace seems to save customers money, according to the Department of Health and Human Services. In Alabama, customers who changed plans between 2014 and 2015 saved an average of $16 a month according to the department.

Hoffman said the state still struggles with a large number of people who fall into the "Medicaid gap." Since the state opted out of expanding Medicaid, many of its lowest-income residents who would have been covered by the program do not qualify for tax subsidies that would help them afford private insurance on the exchange. In Alabama, 185,000 people fall into the Medicaid gap.

The Adcocks could fall into that gap starting next year, with the decrease in income resulting from Hank's injury.

He and his wife Sharon will do whatever it takes to keep their income above the level required to qualify for tax credits. They are considering selling a couple cows.

"It's the best thing that ever happened to us," Adcock said. "We'll do anything to keep it."

The myth that "the only people benefiting from this are leeches who don't work and expect something for nothing" is just that.
I am glad he had coverage,but that's not the point of this OP,he would have treatment and healthcare,if he had coverage or not,you will never be denied necessary care ever,he is also a stupid dumb ass for putting his hands into a running hay bayor,rule number 1!!! turn off all machinery before you work on it.
The point of the OP was to lie about this man who dared to discuss how the ACA helped him. And, yes, he would have received health care. But he would then have been required to pay for it. People who owe others money are sued for that money. When they cannot pay the money, they can have their property seized and sold to secure payment. Perhaps you are one of those who prefer to have others pay for them. Most Americans prefer that you take responsibility for your own healthcare.
Ya so make payments like everyone else,you can work out affordable payment plans with any hospital,just did that myself.This mime that without O care it would be on others backs is bull shit,with O care it most certainly is on others backs,hint subsidies are paid by others.
I represent hospitals. I sue patients when it is clear that they have property or other assets to pay the bill. Why should a hospital have to wait to be paid what they are owed? Hospitals provide millions of dollars in uncompensated care. Guess who pays for that? If you pay taxes, you do. If you have health insurance, you do. Seems, however, that you are one of those freeloaders who does not have health insurance and expects to just pay what you think you can afford. Since I pay taxes and pay for health insurance, I am paying for you while you pay your hospital back at your pace. Why are they required to give you an interest free loan?

Hank is a nickname.

So we have established that either the family farm doesn't exist, hank adcock doesn't exist, or he does exist and was in no danger of losing the farm.
Then try looking under Henry, you stupid fuck. I did. No Henry either. Nor is there a Sharon Adcock, his wife. And the name on the property is Hank. Hank may very well be his legal name.
So the author lied, he isn't a farmer. Got it. Kind of blows the op premise lol.

I represent hospitals. I sue patients when it is clear that they have property or other assets to pay the bill. Why should a hospital have to wait to be paid what they are owed? Hospitals provide millions of dollars in uncompensated care. Guess who pays for that? If you pay taxes, you do. If you have health insurance, you do. Seems, however, that you are one of those freeloaders who does not have health insurance and expects to just pay what you think you can afford. Since I pay taxes and pay for health insurance, I am paying for you while you pay your hospital back at your pace. Why are they required to give you an interest free loan?
So you're defending Obama are because why?

Hank is a nickname.

No, we have established that Hank and his wife do own a farm. That he did lose his hand. That he did have hospital bills of $62,000.00. That for years, before the ACA, he could not afford health insurance. That had it not been for the ACA he would not have had it and would have been stuck with a $62,000.00 bill he would not have been able to pay. Oh, and we have proven the OP and her supporters are liars.

Hank is a nickname.

So the author lied, he isn't a farmer. Got it. Kind of blows the op premise lol.
He is a farmer you stupid twat. He owns farmland.

Actually, I am sick of right wing assholes like you lying constantly. The ACA works. It is not perfect, but it works. It has caused millions to get insurance who did not have it; it has slowed the growth of health care costs and the dire predictions made by your ilk have not come true.

Hank is a nickname.

No, we have established that Hank and his wife do own a farm. That he did lose his hand. That he did have hospital bills of $62,000.00. That for years, before the ACA, he could not afford health insurance. That had it not been for the ACA he would not have had it and would have been stuck with a $62,000.00 bill he would not have been able to pay. Oh, and we have proven the OP and her supporters are liars.
Are you taking crazy pills??????

Hank is a nickname.

Are you taking crazy pills??????
No. What medications could you be taking that cause you to lie so willingly?

Actually, I am sick of right wing assholes like you lying constantly. The ACA works. It is not perfect, but it works. It has caused millions to get insurance who did not have it; it has slowed the growth of health care costs and the dire predictions made by your ilk have not come true.
Actually, they've all come true.

I am sure your tiny little, deluded brain, tells YOU that. The truth is that none have.

Hank is a nickname.

Or that you are fabricating.....again...

"you will never be denied necessary care ever"

Tell that to this man's father: An open casket - WNC Health Advocates

Hank is a nickname.

I thought you said he didn't. You seem so conflicted.

I am sure your tiny little, deluded brain, tells YOU that. The truth is that none have.
Every single one.

Every single one.
Since you lied about this case, why would anyone think you are capable of telling the truth now?

Hank is a nickname.

I thought you said he didn't. You seem so conflicted.

Back from your nap? I did not say he did not own farmland, In fact, you stupid fuck, I posted the link to the property records that showed that HE owned the farm, not some corporation that the OP claimed did.

Guy claims to have been working on a farm for 62 years and doesn't know not to stick his hands in a hay baler?

Forum List

Back