Without law, there can be no freedom

WITHOUT LAW, THERE CAN BE NO FREEDOM

There seems to be a great deal of confusion as to what is and what isn’t freedom. The ancient Greeks, before their fall, stated, without laws there can be no freedom.

Say Anything ReaderBlogs Mobile: ... o_freedom/

Let me get this straight. Freedom is defined as the free movement of your actions and thoughts and the ability to do what you want without any restrictions but then you say that the thing that restricts your actions is needed for that freedom?

Actually, law is required for freedom to a certain degree. It's why the Articles of Confederation never worked well.

Actually I believe true freedom would be in the absence of all laws. People would be completely autonomous with no restrictions imposed on them, coercion, and free to do as the see fit. Of course I argue that living in such a condition would be far from desirable. People come together and sacrifce some of their freedoms in order to create a society/ government entity that protects what rights they see fit to safeguard.

Actually I believe true freedom would be in the absence of all laws. People would be completely autonomous with no restrictions imposed on them, coercion, and free to do as the see fit. Of course I argue that living in such a condition would be far from desirable. People come together and sacrifce some of their freedoms in order to create a society/ government entity that protects what rights they see fit to safeguard.

Yes! Government is undesirable because it restrains freedom but is needed to maintain a society. How much government you want depends on how much government you think is needed to maintain a coherent (that is the best word I can come up with) society and how much freedom you want.

The ideal is no government but God has not made us perfect enough to do that.

Last edited:
A society without laws would be total Anarchy. That cannot be good.

You should read Common Sense by T.Paine. He explains why we have government and what role government should play in a free society pretty well. Some of the old english is hard to get through but if you read it slowly you should be able to get it.

Forum List

Back