With Obama too busy, the GOP tackles the REALLY big problems...

i like this resolution....as rome was being sacked and burned....

2007 Congressional resolution on Ramadan

House resolution of 2007:

The house passed a resolution recognizing Islam as one of the great religions of the world and acknowledging the start of the lunar month of Ramadan.

"The resolution was introduced by Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson, (D-TX), and co-sponsored by 30 other representatives, including Rep. Keith Ellison, (D-MN), Congress's first elected Muslim."

Unfair or deceptive trade practices.

Which doesn't answer the question of where they derive their authority to do this in the Constitution.
The Constitution does not enumerate Congress' authority, only specifically limits it.

No, they are granted only limited and defined powers in Article 1, Section 8. The 10th Amendment then makes clear that only those powers explicitly defined in the Constitution are legitimate powers of the federal government, all others being reserved to the states or to the people.

Which doesn't answer the question of where they derive their authority to do this in the Constitution.
The Constitution does not enumerate Congress' authority, only specifically limits it.

No, they are granted only limited and defined powers in Article 1, Section 8. The 10th Amendment then makes clear that only those powers explicitly defined in the Constitution are legitimate powers of the federal government, all others being reserved to the states or to the people.
Congress powers are not enumerated. Therefore you won't find anything in the Constitution stopping them from regulating commerce, issuing proclamations and resolutions, or holding hearings.

Otherwise, most everything they do would be unconstitutional. Which is what I think you're getting at anyway.

Congress powers are not enumerated. Therefore you won't find anything in the Constitution stopping them from regulating commerce, issuing proclamations and resolutions, or holding hearings.

Otherwise, most everything they do would be unconstitutional. Which is what I think you're getting at anyway.

If Congress' powers are not enumerated then what in the world is Article 1, Section 8?

And yes most of what they do is unconstitutional.

If Congress' powers are not enumerated then what in the world is Article 1, Section 8?
That's limitation, not enumeration.
No argument here, but you would probably get such an argument from constitutional scholars like the President.

No argument here, but you would probably get such an argument from constitutional scholars like the President.

Yes, they're limited to those powers that are enumerated.

And if you don't believe this is unconstitutional how can you believe anything is unconstitutional?

And if you don't believe this is unconstitutional how can you believe anything is unconstitutional?
Did you not read my post? I've bolded the relevant part you must have missed.

Why is it that most people act as though only Republicans bring up these needless and stupid arguments or whatever you want to call them in congress? How soon we forget the resolution by Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) for the US Congress to Honor Micheal Jackson. Sorry folks but the stupidity runs rampant in Washington from both sides of the aisle.

exactly....i have no doubt that there are dems in support of this bill as well....but many partisan hacks on this board fail to mention that and act as if only the GOP supports or that only the GOP is putting up stupid bills....

Members of the GOP DID in fact write and sponsor the Christmas legislation as well as the BCS legislation. Sorry.

post 28....your thread is misleading to the point of outright falsehood....

own up to your bogus thread title

That's limitation, not enumeration.No argument here, but you would probably get such an argument from constitutional scholars like the President.

Maybe I'm simply misunderstanding your position on this bill. Do you believe it is unconstitutional?

Maybe I'm simply misunderstanding your position on this bill. Do you believe it is unconstitutional?
In my first post of the thread I all but said so. Two years ago when there were Congressional hearings on the NFL, I said it's their own fault for getting Congress in its business to start with. It's unknown if the NCAA has done so. I see no authority or any business whatsoever Congress has in the NCAA's business. All I have done is quoted the summary of the bill.

In my first post of the thread I all but said so. Two years ago when there were Congressional hearings on the NFL, I said it's their own fault for getting Congress in its business to start with. It's unknown if the NCAA has done so. I see no authority or any business whatsoever Congress has in the NCAA's business. All I have done is quoted the summary of the bill.

My mistake then. I was under the impression that you thought this was constitutional.

My mistake then. I was under the impression that you thought this was constitutional.
I should have been and could have been more clear.

http://eipnetworks.com/clear.mp3

exactly....i have no doubt that there are dems in support of this bill as well....but many partisan hacks on this board fail to mention that and act as if only the GOP supports or that only the GOP is putting up stupid bills....

Members of the GOP DID in fact write and sponsor the Christmas legislation as well as the BCS legislation. Sorry.

post 28....your thread is misleading to the point of outright falsehood....

own up to your bogus thread title

Representative Joe L. Barton of Texas apparently cannot get over the fact that the BCS picked Oklahoma rather than Texas to play in the 2009 BCS championship game. In response, he is proposing "big government" policies that seem utterly inappropriate for a Texas Republican.

Barton says that the BCS system is "like communism" because it is not "fixable." So, in order to punish the "communist"football bowl system, Barton is sponsoring legislation "that would prohibit the NCAA from advertising its national champion in football as such unless it was produced via a playoff system." Ah, the freedom of capitalism.

Barton challenged BCS coordinator John Swofford to implement a playoff system. After Swofford stated that the BCS had not discussed his proposed legislation, Barton offered a heavy handed response:

Well, I would encourage you to start discussing it, because I think there is better than a 50 percent chance that if we don't see some action in the next two months on a voluntary switch to a playoff system, that you will see this bill move . . . So it needs to be something that you need to start discussing.

Barton is a Republican, yes?

I don't agree with this poster on much but i do have to agree with him or her on this one. This is just plain stupid. This creep represents everything wrong with our politicians today. He really should be ashamed of himself. Just a side-note though,i would hope this poster will show this same outrage when Democrats propose these same kinds of silly absurdities in the future. They have a long history of this as well.

I don't agree with this poster on much but i do have to agree with him or her on this one. This is just plain stupid. This creep represents everything wrong with our politicians today. He really should be ashamed of himself. Just a side-note though,i would hope this poster will show this same outrage when Democrats propose these same kinds of silly absurdities in the future. They have a long history of this as well.

BOTH parties have a long history of this stupid stuff. I only pointed it out now because of all of the IMPORTANT matters that SHOULD be taking up these representatives' time.

yank....just fess up that your thread title is bogus....you purposefully made it seem as if ONLY the gop is doing this, when in fact the bill's co-sponsor is a democrat who defended the bill....

if you were honest you would have simply said legislaters, instead you gave the dishonest impression that only repubs were "tackling" this...good lord, just fess up and move on

Btw,the Democrats completely control Congress so this silly stuff can't go anywhere without their support. So we'll just have to wait and see how far this goes.

RUT RO! It seems this poster is being intentionally misleading and disingenuous. Might be time to call BULL CHIT on this thread. This bill is currently being co-sponsored by (D) Bobby Rush of Illinois. Rush is also the Subcommittee Chairman. Since this poster conveniently left out this very important bit of information,i cannot give him or her any credibility. So i'm gonna have to call BULL CHIT on this one.

Forum List

Back