With Obama in Ottawa, Russian Fighters Buzz Canadian Airspace

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
OTTAWA — Two Russian military bombers came close to breaching northern Canadian airspace on the eve of U.S. President Barack Obama's visit here last week, Defence Minister Peter MacKay revealed Friday.

Canadian CF-18 fighters were scrambled from Cold Lake, Alta., to intercept the long-range Tupelov TU-95s and signal them to back off, he said.

The incident occurred Feb. 18, about 24 hours before Mr. Obama journeyed to Canada for his first foreign visit.

Mr. MacKay noted that the Russian flight took place when Canada's security focus was on Ottawa, in preparation for the Obama visit.

“I am not going to stand here and accuse the Russians of having deliberately done this during the presidential visit, but it was a strong coincidence,” Mr. MacKay said.

globeandmail.com: Jets scrambled to intercept plane

I wonder if the nations lining up to sack the arctic resources are committed to ending climate change... of course they wouldn't want all that ice to melt and be forced to reap riches from their own backyard, nations hate that stuff. WHo will be the first to mine the waters?

I wonder if the nations lining up to sack the arctic resources are committed to ending climate change... of course they wouldn't want all that ice to melt and be forced to reap riches from their own backyard, nations hate that stuff. WHo will be the first to mine the waters?

Haliburton.

New Topics

Forum List

Back