With gas prices plunging...

Gas prices in Oklahoma City dropped a dime per gallon since yesterday. I filled up at 2.399/gal. I'll start spot buying gasoline daily except Sunday (don't want to have to run downtown)

Gasoline is now down to $2.289/gal in the Greater Oklahoma City metro area at 7-Eleven stores. I bought Conoco this morning at 2.319/gal.

Pfft. Y'all suck. It's still $2.69 here. Tho, that's better than $4.99.

Well, here I am in New York paying $2.99 a gallon today. It's Always more more more here...geez....oh, and Senator Hillary took the time to write me back today to tell me about why she voted YES for the Bailout. It was so nice of her.

Anyone want to read why?

Dear Mrs. Bowman:

Thank you for your views on the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008. I appreciate your concern and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

The market turmoil over the past month has exacted a heavy toll on Wall Street and unfortunately, now the crisis has spread to Main Street. What began as a wave of mortgage defaults and foreclosures limited to risky subprime mortgages quickly unraveled into a national housing crisis, driven deeper by complex securities designed to hide unacceptable risks and irresponsible investments. We soon learned that the losses from those mortgages created a ripple effect engulfing not only the irresponsible mortgage lenders and the banks that wrote their loans, but also our largest financial institutions and nearly every segment of our financial sector.

The normal credit markets ceased to function with banks unwilling to lend to each other and soon ordinary businesses and consumers were unable to secure the lines of credit they need and rely upon to survive. The lack of standard market functioning and the cascading collapse of financial institutions have had a devastating impact on all Americans. Our economy lost 159,000 jobs this past month alone, and we are on the cusp of a recession that threatens the entire nation with manufacturing, auto sales, retail sales, and economic growth all on the decline. America is currently undergoing a severe threat to our nation's economic security. Businesses are finding it hard to receive credit, limiting transactions and preventing salary disbursal. Pension plans and other retirement accounts have lost a great deal of value due to falling investor confidence and market manipulation. Several of our nation's largest banking institutions have failed or were forced to reorganize to survive. Hardworking Americans are unable to keep up with their mortgage payments and face the threat of losing their homes.

Swift action was needed, but it was clear the Treasury Department's original plan was a blank check to the banks that enabled this crisis. I worked with my colleagues and I am pleased that Congress mandated additional oversight controls and installed accountability measures so that the Treasury Department's rescue program is run effectively and responsibly. The bipartisan legislation allows for a variety of options to address the crisis, including expanding the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp (FDIC) guarantee on bank deposits, an option for capital injections to healthy but vulnerable banks that serve our communities, and many important tax breaks for struggling homeowners. The legislation also includes tax provisions I supported which enhance energy research and development, to end our dependence on foreign oil, and adjustments to help middle class families with home heating bills and protect them from the alternative minimum tax (AMT). As a result, the Federal Reserve has begun paying interest on commercial bank reserves and will extend billions of dollars in its loan program to impacted banks.

As Senator from New York, I have seen thousands of my constituents lose their jobs. I believe that enacting these measures was a difficult but necessary decision to prevent tens of thousands more from losing their livelihoods, but it is also clear that we must do more to help the middle class, create more jobs, and regain economic stability. I have proposed several initiatives to bolster the economy and help families navigate these difficult times. I believe establishing a Home Owners Mortgage Enterprise (HOME), allowing home owners and mortgage companies to renegotiate the terms of home mortgages, will help families keep their homes through affordable payments. A similar program helped prevent widespread home loss during the Great Depression, and we must take action now to keep families in their homes and prevent the housing crisis from deepening this economic downturn.

We must also develop a broad strategy to stem job losses and support small business owners as the market adjusts in the coming months. I recently called on the Department of Labor to approve a grant allowing New York State to study the impact of the ongoing economic crisis on working families. These steps will be an important beginning to our nation's difficult recovery process, and I pledge to continue representing the workers and families of New York and America. Moreover, I have called on the President and the Treasury Secretary to create a $250 billion "Emergency Stabilization Fund" to make emergency loans and establish temporary lines of credit for small businesses, to allow schools and universities to have short term access to funding to reduce the pressure on tuition, to increase direct loans to students as private lending has dried up, and to help stabilize our state and local governments, enabling them to provide essential services while reducing the pressure to increase property taxes. Finally we must pursue long term market reforms to curb the excessive risk, rampant speculation and irresponsible lending and borrowing that began this crisis.

Again, thank you for your letter regarding our economic challenges ahead. I hope you will share your thoughts and concerns with me as we continue to address this important issue before the United States Senate. For regular updates, please check my website at Hillary Rodham Clinton, Senator from New York.

Sincerely,

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton

Well, here I am in New York paying $2.99 a gallon today. It's Always more more more here...geez....oh, and Senator Hillary took the time to write me back today to tell me about why she voted YES for the Bailout. It was so nice of her.

Anyone want to read why?

Dear Mrs. Bowman:

Thank you for your views on the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008. I appreciate your concern and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

The market turmoil over the past month has exacted a heavy toll on Wall Street and unfortunately, now the crisis has spread to Main Street. What began as a wave of mortgage defaults and foreclosures limited to risky subprime mortgages quickly unraveled into a national housing crisis, driven deeper by complex securities designed to hide unacceptable risks and irresponsible investments. We soon learned that the losses from those mortgages created a ripple effect engulfing not only the irresponsible mortgage lenders and the banks that wrote their loans, but also our largest financial institutions and nearly every segment of our financial sector.

The normal credit markets ceased to function with banks unwilling to lend to each other and soon ordinary businesses and consumers were unable to secure the lines of credit they need and rely upon to survive. The lack of standard market functioning and the cascading collapse of financial institutions have had a devastating impact on all Americans. Our economy lost 159,000 jobs this past month alone, and we are on the cusp of a recession that threatens the entire nation with manufacturing, auto sales, retail sales, and economic growth all on the decline. America is currently undergoing a severe threat to our nation's economic security. Businesses are finding it hard to receive credit, limiting transactions and preventing salary disbursal. Pension plans and other retirement accounts have lost a great deal of value due to falling investor confidence and market manipulation. Several of our nation's largest banking institutions have failed or were forced to reorganize to survive. Hardworking Americans are unable to keep up with their mortgage payments and face the threat of losing their homes.

Swift action was needed, but it was clear the Treasury Department's original plan was a blank check to the banks that enabled this crisis. I worked with my colleagues and I am pleased that Congress mandated additional oversight controls and installed accountability measures so that the Treasury Department's rescue program is run effectively and responsibly. The bipartisan legislation allows for a variety of options to address the crisis, including expanding the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp (FDIC) guarantee on bank deposits, an option for capital injections to healthy but vulnerable banks that serve our communities, and many important tax breaks for struggling homeowners. The legislation also includes tax provisions I supported which enhance energy research and development, to end our dependence on foreign oil, and adjustments to help middle class families with home heating bills and protect them from the alternative minimum tax (AMT). As a result, the Federal Reserve has begun paying interest on commercial bank reserves and will extend billions of dollars in its loan program to impacted banks.

As Senator from New York, I have seen thousands of my constituents lose their jobs. I believe that enacting these measures was a difficult but necessary decision to prevent tens of thousands more from losing their livelihoods, but it is also clear that we must do more to help the middle class, create more jobs, and regain economic stability. I have proposed several initiatives to bolster the economy and help families navigate these difficult times. I believe establishing a Home Owners Mortgage Enterprise (HOME), allowing home owners and mortgage companies to renegotiate the terms of home mortgages, will help families keep their homes through affordable payments. A similar program helped prevent widespread home loss during the Great Depression, and we must take action now to keep families in their homes and prevent the housing crisis from deepening this economic downturn.

We must also develop a broad strategy to stem job losses and support small business owners as the market adjusts in the coming months. I recently called on the Department of Labor to approve a grant allowing New York State to study the impact of the ongoing economic crisis on working families. These steps will be an important beginning to our nation's difficult recovery process, and I pledge to continue representing the workers and families of New York and America. Moreover, I have called on the President and the Treasury Secretary to create a $250 billion "Emergency Stabilization Fund" to make emergency loans and establish temporary lines of credit for small businesses, to allow schools and universities to have short term access to funding to reduce the pressure on tuition, to increase direct loans to students as private lending has dried up, and to help stabilize our state and local governments, enabling them to provide essential services while reducing the pressure to increase property taxes. Finally we must pursue long term market reforms to curb the excessive risk, rampant speculation and irresponsible lending and borrowing that began this crisis.

Again, thank you for your letter regarding our economic challenges ahead. I hope you will share your thoughts and concerns with me as we continue to address this important issue before the United States Senate. For regular updates, please check my website at Hillary Rodham Clinton, Senator from New York.

Sincerely,

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton

Tragic. And the wealthy are taking their money out of the stock market now because they believe Obama will win the election. It's going to be a tough time ahead.

Forum List

Back