With deal’s collapse, the McCain camp attacks

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By Michael Cooper and Jeff Zeleny
New York Times
updated 3:42 a.m. CT, Tues., Sept. 30, 2008

WEST DES MOINES, Iowa - Besides stockholders whose portfolios were ravaged Monday afternoon, the one person with the most riding on the bailout bill that collapsed in Congress may have been Senator John McCain.

Mr. McCain had announced last week that he was suspending his presidential campaign to work to ensure the legislation’s passage, even at the risk of skipping the first presidential debate unless a deal was locked down. (He later relented, debating without a deal.) He had called for the high-level White House meeting that some participants later called unhelpful. And after some initial hesitation, he had allowed himself to be identified with a bill that he thought necessary even if unpopular.

So when the deal fell apart on the House floor Monday, in no small measure because most of the chamber’s Republicans balked at voting for it, the McCain campaign worked to contain the potential for damage. The first defense was to go on offense.
NYT: McCain on attack after deal collapse - The New York Times - MSNBC.com

It would have been nice for both candidates to have come out and said....we need this bill (which I am not convinced we do) but we need time to work on this bill and explain it to the american taxpayers who will be paying it. I saw the figure that 80% of americans were against it. I am not sure if that is correct but it is simply the confusion over the bill and the total aggorance of how it was presented by Paulson and his ilk.
It was bottom lined as "give us the money and shut the "f" up".

As an american taxpayer, I do not appreciate this attitude of "you must do this" or commerce will die. What? Why do americans think we wont have hard times? We will.
How do you get thru them, you united as a people.

As one op was saying, I am sorry I am not sure which one....why take a private buy at 20 cents to the dollar when you can hold out for a bail out by the taxpayers for 50 or 80 cents to the dollar?

I think they are using it as a scare tatic. Both sides. Are the gops who say pelosi's speech did this, that shallow? Woud you honestly put "hurt feelings" above the nations interest?

Both campaigns are going negative. I posted a thread on the ad pulled by MSNBC attacking McCain for having skin cancer. Very negative.

As far as this bail out bill and the actions of those in this governement....its like the tea party....in alice thur the looking glass. If you can make sense of it...let me know.

strolling could you present me with evidence that shows Obama blaming McCain or using a scare tactic of any kind?

I've watched both of these men throughout this financial crisis and Obama has remained level headed and calm. Calling for TRUE bipartisan teamwork and staying out of the middle to ensure that happens. Presidential politics is the last thing this situation needed and McCain injected last week.

McCain's stunt failed and rather than man up and admit his mistake he went on the attack against Obama and the Democrats.

I think Obama has said the bill IS needed. he's been pretty clear about that from the beginning, coming up with requirements that would make it more tolerable, albeit not perfect. Extensive oversight, protection for homeowners, no golden parachutes for executives, and a guarantee of return on the taxpayers investment. Then yesterday he released a press statement at 5 am saying the FDIC should raise the insurance on deposits to $250K... McCain jumped on that idea and so did the white house... both acknowledging that Obama voiced this idea first.

If Obama is coming up with all the good ideas why is it even a debate as to who is the most qualified?

Something is needed, that's for DAMNED sure.

I thinl the superrich are holding a gun to our heads, to be honest. Give us trillions for our mistakes or we'll cut off credit.

I think we (as in our government) should do the same to them, personally.

You want to shrug, Atlas?

Well the people can give you a shrug you won't soon forget, you greedy bastards.

partisanship, Reid called McCain to Washington, when he went, he was snubbed, Dems said he wasn't needed, then they said he interferred, then they said he mucked it up, I wish they would make up their minds, was he or was he not needed, if not why did Reid call him? did he or did he not muck it up? if he did why did you say he didn't do anything? I wish you would make up your minds. The attacks, one after another. Pelosi says out of one side of her mouth "bipartisanship" out of the other "it's all the Republicans fault" while she is scurrying around trying to evade the Democrats pile of shit that caused this whole meltdown Fannie and Freddie. I wish she would make up her mind. And, lastly it was not a "stunt" Democrats try but they don't get to define John McCain's actions. He is a sitting US Senator from Arizona and has every right to be there and be involved. Now Obama probably dosen't understand this cause he has been gone for two years. Yes, "Just call if you need me." If he had been there quite possibly those 12 Democrats on Barney Franks's finance committee might have voted yes and things might have turned out differently, Couldda Wouldda Shouldda.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back