With Concession To The Reality of Time...

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. Pearl Harbor Still a Day for the Ages, but a Memory Almost Gone

2. HONOLULU — For more than half a century, members of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association gathered here every Dec. 7 to commemorate the attack by the Japanese that drew the United States into World War II. Others stayed closer to home for more intimate regional chapter ceremonies, sharing memories of a day they still remember in searing detail.

3. But no more. The 70th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack will be the last one marked by the survivors’ association.

4. With a concession to the reality of time — of age, of deteriorating health and death — the association will disband on Dec. 31.

5. “We had no choice,” said William H. Eckel, 89, who was once the director of the Fourth Division of the survivors’ association, interviewed by telephone from Texas. “Wives and family members have been trying to keep it operating, but they just can’t do it. People are winding up in nursing homes and intensive care places.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/07/us/fewer-veterans-to-remember-pearl-harbor-day.html?pagewanted=all

Shakespeare said it best, in Sonnet 65:

Since brass, nor stone, nor earth, nor boundless sea,
But sad mortality o'er-sways their power,
How with this rage shall beauty hold a plea,
Whose action is no stronger than a flower?
O, how shall summer's honey breath hold out
Against the wreckful siege of battering days,
When rocks impregnable are not so stout,
Nor gates of steel so strong, but Time decays?

It's sad, but that's life. I've noticed the last few years there hasn't been much mention of Pearl Harbor Day, and there was one year I don't recall hearing or seeing a thing. In fact, it's not even marked on the calendar I have on the wall.

Time passes and that's what happens. It's hard to imagine it now, but there will come a day that even September 11 will come and go and just be another day.

It's sad, but that's life. I've noticed the last few years there hasn't been much mention of Pearl Harbor Day, and there was one year I don't recall hearing or seeing a thing. In fact, it's not even marked on the calendar I have on the wall.

Time passes and that's what happens. It's hard to imagine it now, but there will come a day that even September 11 will come and go and just be another day.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d22CiKMPpaY]Casablanca - As Time Goes By - Original Song by Sam (Dooley Wilson) - YouTube[/ame]

This makes me sad. I understand why the soldiers left can't make it;my grandparents were their generation, they are simply too old. I had hoped the media would continue to mark the day but it doesn't look likely. Each year that passes it seems there is less mention of it;this shouldn't be. If we don't remember lessons of the past we will repeat them and Pearl Harbor Isn't something you want to go through again.

Forum List

Back