With all due respect Mr. President, that is not true

Going protectionist...

washingtonpost.com

'Buy American' Rider Sparks Trade Debate
Proviso Limits Steel, Iron From Abroad
By Anthony Faiola
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 29, 2009; A01

The stimulus bill passed by the House last night contains a controversial provision that would mostly bar foreign steel and iron from the infrastructure projects laid out by the $819 billion economic package.

A Senate version, yet to be acted upon, goes further, requiring, with few exceptions, that all stimulus-funded projects use only American-made equipment and goods.

Proponents of expanding the "Buy American" provisions enacted during the Great Depression, including steel and iron manufacturers and labor unions, argue that it is the only way to ensure that the stimulus creates jobs at home and not overseas.

Opponents, including some of the biggest blue-chip names in American industry, say it amounts to a declaration of war against free trade. That, they say, could spark retaliation from abroad against U.S. companies and exacerbate the global financial crisis.

The provisions also confront President Obama with his first test on trade policy. He must weigh the potential consequences of U.S. protectionism against the appealing slogan of "Buy American" and the jobs argument....

Chris, while you give me two single examples. You forgot the Panama Canal...oh yeah, I forgot, Jimmy Carter gave it away. Lets talk Medicare, lets talk social security, lets talk education, lets welfare, oh, I will use your etc. Chris open up your mind a little...OK buddy. There is more waste in these areas than we care to admit. That is your Big Government, and you want to make it grow even more. Dang dude...drink some Kool- Aid.

Forum List

Back