With 2 lockouts - soccer may become Americas Pastime by default

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
Soccer is making headwinds ..

Soccer is better today than the phoniness of the NASL and the NY Cosmos of the 70s.

Soccer Failed back then.

One reason soccer has failed is that they have been trying to cram it down our throats for the past 50 years.

Here's why it should be the number one spectator sport

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccdo-NNXwkI]YouTube - ‪Fantastic Goal By Gio!!!! Gold Cup Final 2011‬‏[/ame]

Soccer is a worse spectator sport than NASCAR.

And that's saying something.

I can never understand this. It's 2 45 minute periods of non-stop action.

World Cup is once every 4 years...it's not even "wait till next year!" You get 2 chances, maybe 3 in your entire career.

Last edited:
I've been to a couple Sporting KC matches this year and I was able to go to the Gold Cup game between the US and Guadalup.

I went because the wife is a big soccer fan but honestly I had far more fun than I expected. The atmosphere at the Gold Cup game was probably the best game day atmosphere i've ever been in, and the two Sporting KC games were fun as well.

If the fans in Kansas City are anything to go by soccer is on the rise here

World Cup is once every 4 years...it's not even "wait till next year!" You get 2 chances, maybe 3 in your entire career.

Just like the biathalon, and as equally riveting. :thup:

Here's a simple concept to help solve the feud between frank and manifold:

There are boring soccer matches and there are exciting, heart-stopping soccer matches.

The changing face of America is what is bringing soccer up, not the lockouts. More and more kids are playing soccer in school and more fields have been built. It is a gradual enterprise that started relatively recently. Also the influx of Latin American peoples have increased the audience substantially.

How big is a soccer goal? 8' x 24'? And yet, often, teams are shut out, teams only score 1 goal, etc. That obviously means that a)way too much of the game is spent puttering around the middle of the field, b)the rules of soccer are far too restrictive where scoring is concerned, c)in general soccer players are just not very talented, d)soccer goalies are more than human, or some combination of these. From the little I've watched, I'd say both a and b are the case.

Now, I'm sure if you are a fan of a team, games can be exciting. That's true of pretty much any competition. As an outsider with no one to root for, though, the game tends to the boring. Add in the stereotype of soccer players being pussies who drop to the ground, writhing in pain at the passing wind of another player and any number of little differences from the major American sports and it's a very hard sell. Honestly, if I remember correctly, indoor soccer seemed like a better idea. Smaller field, quicker play, more chance for decent action.

There's obviously the cultural baggage to deal with, as well. Soccer has never been popular in the US, where it is huge in a great deal of the rest of the world.

Last edited:

How big is a soccer goal? 8' x 24'? And yet, often, teams are shut out, teams only score 1 goal, etc. That obviously means that a)way too much of the game is spent puttering around the middle of the field, b)the rules of soccer are far too restrictive where scoring is concerned, c)in general soccer players are just not very talented, d)soccer goalies are more than human, or some combination of these. From the little I've watched, I'd say both a and b are the case.

Now, I'm sure if you are a fan of a team, games can be exciting. That's true of pretty much any competition. As an outsider with no one to root for, though, the game tends to the boring. Add in the stereotype of soccer players being pussies who drop to the ground, writhing in pain at the passing wind of another player and any number of little differences from the major American sports and it's a very hard sell. Honestly, if I remember correctly, indoor soccer seemed like a better idea. Smaller field, quicker play, more chance for decent action.

There's obviously the cultural baggage to deal with, as well. Soccer has never been popular in the US, where it is huge in a great deal of the rest of the world.

Personally I think a 1-0 pitcher duel is a better baseball game that a 11-6 home run competition.

Would you say the batters that got struck out by Pedro Martinez, Tom Seaver or Bob Gibson were puttering around home plate and needed HGH and a lower pitchers mound?

In order of worst spectator sports from less to more.

Beach Volleyball (you get fit flat chested women barely dressed sometimes)
NASCAR (at least they crash)
Horseracing (better than brightly colored cars that crash if it's Steeplechase Otherwise behind tennis)
Baseblah (the important moments fill 4 minutes for 90% of the games)
Golf (Gardening channel with fewer flowers and noxious pants)
Tennis (back and forth... back and forth.... what ever)
Bowling (Golf clothing indoors with pudgy athletes, and no scenery)
Curling (Shuffleboard on ice with brooms)
Soccer (thrilling zero zero ties! Shit they riot just to have something to do.)

The only reason soccer is gaining in popularity in the US is because we have a larger Hispanic population.

The rest of the country finds it boring

The only reason soccer is gaining in popularity in the US is because we have a larger Hispanic population.

The rest of the country finds it boring

So when they become the majority, soccer will be the most popular sport.

We shall see...

Hopefully we can teach succeeding generations of Hispanics how boring soccer really is

New Topics

Forum List

Back