Wishing Dick Van Dyke..............

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
.....a very Happy Birthday today. He turned 94 years of age! I loved his Dick Van Dyke Show sitcom and also his variety show he hosted in the late 1970's. I believe comedian Andy Kaufman got his start on that show.

.....a very Happy Birthday today. He turned 94 years of age! I loved his Dick Van Dyke Show sitcom and also his variety show he hosted in the late 1970's. I believe comedian Andy Kaufman got his start on that show.

I don't recall Kaufman ever being on the show but Jamie Farr used to appear on it as the "donut boy." Dyke was an absolute delight as was every aspect of that show, one of the most talented and honestly funny shows of all time, which almost didn't get picked up because it was in direct competition against a very popular show on another network (Joey Bishop).

Though Dick was usually the straight man, some of my favorite moments was between Buddy and Mel and his "bald" jokes.

They cast a dancer Mary Tyler Moore as his wife which Dyke was against because she was so young (like 20), that he didn't believe she was believable as his wife (almost half his age). Mary worked out very well despite no experience in comedy and was rather scandalous in those days being one of the first to wear skin tight slacks on TV instead of a dress, which was almost unheard of in those days. Even their "boy" Richie couldn't resist slapping her on the ass in one episode. Mary is still red hot to this day.

I don't recall Kaufman ever being on the show but Jamie Farr used to appear on it as the "donut boy." Dyke was an absolute delight as was every aspect of that show, one of the most talented and honestly funny shows of all time, which almost didn't get picked up because it was in direct competition against a very popular show on another network (Joey Bishop).

Though Dick was usually the straight man, some of my favorite moments was between Buddy and Mel and his "bald" jokes.

They cast a dancer Mary Tyler Moore as his wife which Dyke was against because she was so young (like 20), that he didn't believe she was believable as his wife (almost half his age). Mary worked out very well despite no experience in comedy and was rather scandalous in those days being one of the first to wear skin tight slacks on TV instead of a dress, which was almost unheard of in those days. Even their "boy" Richie couldn't resist slapping her on the ass in one episode. Mary is still red hot to this day.

Buddy was a machine gun with the barbs. The premise of Buddy, Sally and Rob writing the jokes for the Alan Brady Show was great.

Forum List

Back