insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://www.wftv.com/education/3295729/detail.html

Student Busted Using Cell Phone To Take Photo Of Test

POSTED: 9:16 am EDT May 12, 2004
UPDATED: 10:25 am EDT May 12, 2004

WEIRD PHOTOS: News Of The Strange Slideshow

SALINAS, Calif. -- Cheating has gone high tech at Everett Alvarez High School, and administrators have the pictures to prove it.

School officials banned cellular telephone use after a student was caught using a camera phone to photograph an exam and trying to send it to a friend.

"All we are doing is stepping up the enforcement level, because of the student's flagrant violations," Principal Joe Rice said Monday.

Cheating by using camera phones and text messaging has become a nationwide concern.

Last year, six University of Maryland students admitted cheating on an accounting exam by using their phones to send information to one another via text messaging.

The Salinas Union High School District has had a ban on "electronic signaling devices" since April 2003 but has let individual schools decide how to enforce it.

A teacher caught the student who took the photograph of a test before he was able to transmit the image, Rice said.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I wonder how many have gotten away with it up till now?

What kind of stupid teachers are letting these kids use their phones during the test?

when i was in hs, we had graphing calculators (TI-86's) that could transfer messages, game programs (all sorts were made up by us kids like poker, blackjack, tetris) and other stuff from one to another via a cable-kind of like a personal instant messaging system, but only to one other calculator using the cable. most of the teachers required them in math classes, but were naive on how they worked. the students told them that we used the cables to share batteries, to help save the earth from excess battery use. it took the teachers almost my entire freshman year to get the hint that we weren't trying to save batteries during tests.

Originally posted by fuzzykitten99
when i was in hs, we had graphing calculators (TI-86's) that could transfer messages, game programs (all sorts were made up by us kids like poker, blackjack, tetris) and other stuff from one to another via a cable-kind of like a personal instant messaging system, but only to one other calculator using the cable. most of the teachers required them in math classes, but were naive on how they worked. the students told them that we used the cables to share batteries, to help save the earth from excess battery use. it took the teachers almost my entire freshman year to get the hint that we weren't trying to save batteries during tests.

Damn no wonder our schools are failing; the teachers are thick as bricks. Except tn_indy.

Originally posted by fuzzykitten99

Our teachers werent that gullable. But you could type answers into the open program format without running the program. Then transfer the answers to fellow students in later classes with the same teacher. I made a few. I took a few. It worked out up until teachers finally wondered why you had a calculator out in English class, lol. Luckily that was senior year. I was outta there by then.

hehe the cell phone trick always seems to work for me and my friends, I am in first period and get to see (and photo) the test for my friends and they buy me lunch. It is win-win for me because I always pass without cheating and I love Qdoba!

The new TI-83 PLUS is a really awsome calculator because you can program equations in it.

And my cell phone now lets me chat with other class mates about answers.

The most rudamentry way to cheat is a simple cheat sheet that we make that are small enough to fit underneath a band-aid and just slip out during the test while the teacher drones away on his/her computer.

Teacher's really aren't modivated to change anything, and that is fine with me.

great.
wonderful.

Stupid me - I thought school was to LEARN.

DAMN, my life could have been SOOOO much easier had I only cheated my way into my Phd rather than doing it the 'hard' way.
:rolleyes:

In my 8th grade physical science class, we had a teacher that always allowed 1 page of notes for tests.

On the final, we were allowed 2 pages. (the books were pretty thick and the tests were pretty technical)

I had an atari 800 computer (this was in 1986). Me and another guy got together and using the smallest font the computer could produce, stayed up all night to put all the answers to every possible question on 2 pages of notes.

We put about 25% of the book on these things. We put the text in normal 8 1/2 x 11 format, in margins sideways, on the top margin, the bottom margin, and everything.

It took us the entire night.

After that, we went to a copier and ran off 30 copies. When we went in to school, we sold the copies for 2-$5.00 each depending on how much we liked the person. :D The finals were using the same questions for each class.

The outcome?

We got "rich", we both got a "c" on the test because we were to freakin tired, and the dumbest kids got an "a" using our notes.

The teacher found out 2/3 of the way through the day and wanted to nail us to the wall but admitted he couldn't because we didn't violate any rules. He was also a football coach and I think he admired our initiative even though it upset him to no end.

:)

Originally posted by NewGuy
In my 8th grade physical science class, we had a teacher that always allowed 1 page of notes for tests.

On the final, we were allowed 2 pages. (the books were pretty thick and the tests were pretty technical)

I had an atari 800 computer (this was in 1986). Me and another guy got together and using the smallest font the computer could produce, stayed up all night to put all the answers to every possible question on 2 pages of notes.

We put about 25% of the book on these things. We put the text in normal 8 1/2 x 11 format, in margins sideways, on the top margin, the bottom margin, and everything.

It took us the entire night.

After that, we went to a copier and ran off 30 copies. When we went in to school, we sold the copies for 2-$5.00 each depending on how much we liked the person. :D The finals were using the same questions for each class.

The outcome?

We got "rich", we both got a "c" on the test because we were to freakin tired, and the dumbest kids got an "a" using our notes.

The teacher found out 2/3 of the way through the day and wanted to nail us to the wall but admitted he couldn't because we didn't violate any rules. He was also a football coach and I think he admired our initiative even though it upset him to no end.

:)
I had a physics class in college where the instructor allowed one handwritten page of notes (front and back). It always amazed me that so many of the people in the class could write in microfiche. What I couldn't understand was how they ever read it, or found anything in a timely manner.

I tried filling the entire front and back in small print on one test, but spent more time looking for answers than I actually did thinking and working on the actual problems. I decided that for me the best method was simply to pay attention in class, do the assigned work as we went along, and then study before the test. My note pages were typically written in normal print, and then usually only on about 2/3 of the front of the page.

notecards got me through it all!

also, I was lucky enough to have a teacher who remains a dear friend of mine to this day, teach me the correct way to study.
I wish this were a requisite class.

Originally posted by KLSuddeth
notecards got me through it all!

also, I was lucky enough to have a teacher who remains a dear friend of mine to this day, teach me the correct way to study.
I wish this were a requisite class.
Speaking of studying.... when I was a freshman in college and received my first semester midterms, I was horrified! I had all C's and lower.

I immediately went to my advisor and asked for help. His first question was: "How much time do you spend studying each day?" My answer was something like: "Studying? Well, er....." In high school I had not had to study very much, and thought I should have been able to carry that over to college.

College life, I had decided was wonderful. Get up, go to class for 3-4 hours, and the rest of the day is yours. I could see myself doing this for the rest of my life!

My advisor informed me that the average instructor assumed that each student would spend 2 hours studying for every 1 hour of class time. What a bummer! After that my social life suffered a little, but my grades improved greatly.

I think that most people dont know how to study effectively.
I know that I didnt until I was taught and wow, did it make a huge difference! I graduated early from both high school and my first go round in college - I attribute it all to being taught the proper, effective ways of studying.

Tn -

I have a question that I so hope you can answer, as I am at my wit's end.

How do you get kids to CARE about learning.

I cant seem to get through my child's THICK skull that he HAS to learn - home school or otherwise. This is driving me crazy as well as making me feel like the most ineffective person who has EVER walked the planet....Im really concerned about his progress, or lack thereof.

I think that most people dont know how to study effectively.
I know that I didnt until I was taught and wow, did it make a huge difference! I graduated early from both high school and my first go round in college - I attribute it all to being taught the proper, effective ways of studying.

I never learned it. I developed better ways around it.

After the "notes" incident, I started to teach myself speed reading to keep from staying up all night writing notes.

After that, I developed better recall.

I had the total photographic memory by 11th grade.

(-Then I lost it after high school after a car accident and being pumped full of vicodin. Wonderfull, huh?)

I took a speed reading class when I was 16 which was also my freshman year in college (I did my senior year of highschool and freshman year of college simultaneously). It [speed reading] helped tremendously, however now I cant seem to turn it off. This is really annoying when Im on vacation and I want to relax with a novel that I finish in a short period of time. grrrr

ANy ideas of how to 'turn it off'?

I took a speed reading class when I was 16 which was also my freshman year in college (I did my senior year of highschool and freshman year of college simultaneously). It [speed reading] helped tremendously, however now I cant seem to turn it off. This is really annoying when Im on vacation and I want to relax with a novel that I finish in a short period of time. grrrr

ANy ideas of how to 'turn it off'?

Well, going by my former practices, even though I had lost the photographic memory, I still kept the spead reading ability. It was the recall that disappeared. I had to learn to look at a sentence, or a paragraph, and not go any further until I spent 5 minutes mulling it over in my mind about what the text actually meant.

No matter what I thought, I would require myself to look at it from all angles for a while before going forward. On the next sentence/paragraph, I did the same and added the former sentence or paragraph after so I now had CONTEXT.

When you keep doing this, it develops the ability to THINK about what you read, instead of simply regurgitating. It also stops the learned process of speed reading as I have noticed a drastic reduction in my speed.

The advantage, though, that over time, you begin to learn HOW to think, and do it in context, much faster than most others can and you can always keep references to look things up you cannot remember. -You CANT always redevelop your understanding.

I found that understanding why you believe is far more important than regurgitating WHAT you believe.

the last line reminds me of the phrase regurgitation education - swallow it all down quick and spit it back up for the test the next day lol

remember that?

Forum List

Back