Wise Words

Philobeado

Gold Member
Apr 8, 2009
Gulf of Mexico Coast, Texas
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."

Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1766

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."

Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1766

Those are wise words and whereas I agree with the premise, I am not so convinced that society today allows for one to acheive success without help. Nowadays, one can not simply venture a few miles west, stake a claim of land, build a home out of wood and plow a field and sell his crops to his neighbors.

The premise is sound, but the application is different.

Those are wise words and whereas I agree with the premise, I am not so convinced that society today allows for one to acheive success without help. Nowadays, one can not simply venture a few miles west, stake a claim of land, build a home out of wood and plow a field and sell his crops to his neighbors.

Completely agree with this. We live in a much different, more complex, world today than when Franklin was around. The concept is ideal but unfortunately not totally applicable to todays society.

I mean......NO, YOU'RE WRONG!!! STOP LYING!! :tongue:

I mean......NO, YOU'RE WRONG!!! STOP LYING!! :tongue:

Bite my ass ya dumb liberal. Got to school and learn something. Stupid dam leech.:lol:

Forum List

Back