Wisconsin Union membership plunges

SniperFire

Feb 28, 2012
Inside Your Head

Free at last, free at last!!!!

Wisconsin membership in the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees--the state's second-largest public-sector union after the National Education Association, which represents teachers--fell to 28,745 in February from 62,818 in March 2011, according to a person who has viewed Afscme's figures.

A spokesman for Afscme declined to comment. :lol:

Much of that decline came from Afscme Council 24, which represents Wisconsin state workers, whose membership plunged by two-thirds to 7,100 from 22,300 last year.
The American Federation of Teachers reports it has lost 6,000 of 17,000 members. These losses can be expected to mount as existing contracts expire. Once that happens, as the Journal explains, under the Walker reforms the state stops withholding union dues from the employees paychecks unless the employee asks to pay them.'

What's at Stake in Wisconsin - WSJ.com

:deal:

Wisconsin membership in the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees--the state's second-largest public-sector union after the National Education Association, which represents teachers--fell to 28,745 in February from 62,818 in March 2011, according to a person who has viewed Afscme's figures.

Much of that decline came from Afscme Council 24, which represents Wisconsin state workers, whose membership plunged by two-thirds to 7,100 from 22,300 last year.
The American Federation of Teachers reports it has lost 6,000 of 17,000 members. These losses can be expected to mount as existing contracts expire. Once that happens, as the Journal explains, under the Walker reforms the state stops withholding union dues from the employees paychecks unless the employee asks to pay them.'

If I had not been forced to pay 90% of the dues and receive none of the protection of the last union opt out I was givena choice of, I'd was ready to opt out too.

But since I was forced to pay that much for "Contract negotiations" (bullshit) I figured I may as well take the protections too.

If this had been in place where no union membership meant no union dues and I could negotiate individually, I'd have said fuck you to the ATU as well.

All they had to do was make it an option and the members prove how poorly run and beneficial the public unions are. That is why Government Monopolies are incredibility bad.

I believe every state should be a "right to work" state.

This is allegedly a free country and people shouldn't be forced into unions. People shouldn't be forced to join organizations they have no desire to join just to have a job...

If people want to join the union they can, however they should also have the option not to join.

Good thread sniper, it’s relevant and important. It’s too bad this country is takes 1 step forward and 10 steps back.

It's too bad all the progressive union-bots are staring at it going "Duh, whadda hell do dat mean?"

Good! About time people are smartening up to just what unions are all about....

Fukken Awesome.

Damn unions and the dems showed just of low they can go and that repulsed the good people of WI

Republicans say, "Prosperity though lower wages and no health or dental care".

Alexandra-Pelosi-Miss..jpg

Maybe people are tired of paying union dues just so the union bosses can turn around and support political candidates the members might not like.

If people believed in the unions, they'd stay a member and fight. The fact that they stopped paying dues sure indicates they don't support them. Most of the time, if a person "quits the union", they are still listed as a member, but one who owes dues. They quit paying to make a statement.

Last edited:
Maybe people are tired of paying union dues just so the union bosses can turn around and support political candidates the members might not like.

If people believed in the unions, they'd stay a member and fight. The fact that they stopped paying dues sure indicates they don't support them. Most of the time, if a person "quits the union", they are still listed as a member, but one who owes dues. They quit paying to make a statement.

Who would want to vote for a Flee Party member?

In New York State Government, unions never have had much power.
Their Pension Fund is the best of any state.
State Pension Fund Posts Strong Gain

The New York State Common Retirement Fund (Fund) earned an estimated 5.96 percent rate of return for the state’s 2011–2012 fiscal year. The estimated value of the Fund is $150.3 billion, the highest since the global economic meltdown in state fiscal year 2008–2009. Comptroller DiNapoli said, “Over the last three years, the Fund has experienced strong gains during a period of economic instability. We remain one of strongest pension funds in the country, providing retirement security to more than one million New Yorkers.”

Forum List

Back