Wisconsin Official Instructs Staff Not To Mention Free IDs For Voting

What harm is caused by allowing employees to offer the voter IDs?

Maybe our Driver Licenses should be free too? Why not?

Maybe we could all ride mass transit for free too, and throw in free parking for everyone too. No more paid parking. Why not? How about Troll Bridges and Tunnels, why shouldn't they be free too? How about when we pay our Taxes electronically? No more surcharges. I like that too. ;)
what do you not understand about ''poll tax''? making a person pay to get a gvt id in order to vote IS AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN, considered a poll tax....the only reason the SC has allowed it, is because the voter id was suppose to be free for the voters getting one, intense??

Yup. I have no problem with an ID requirement to vote. What I have a problem with is charging a fee for that ID. If the ID is required it should be issued IMO, and this policy that instructs employees not to offer the free ID regardless of how many neon flashing signs there are about it in the room is dumb.

Maybe we could all ride mass transit for free too, and throw in free parking for everyone too. No more paid parking. Why not? How about Troll Bridges and Tunnels, why shouldn't they be free too? How about when we pay our Taxes electronically? No more surcharges. I like that too. ;)
what do you not understand about ''poll tax''? making a person pay to get a gvt id in order to vote IS AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN, considered a poll tax....the only reason the SC has allowed it, is because the voter id was suppose to be free for the voters getting one, intense??

Poll tax?

They are free. Not "supposedly free". Poll tax doesn't apply.

AGAIN I ask you,(and if you answered and i missed it, i apologize)

what is the purpose of instructing dmv personel NOT to inform the citizens getting this gvt id, unless they ask?

what is behind that email instruction....what purpose does it serve?

What harm is caused by allowing employees to offer the voter IDs?

How about you deflect a little bit more?

How about you justify why Tax Money needs to provide for State I.D.'s in the first place. Require them for Social Services. Jesus man, You are helping set up a system where people are not able to wipe their own asses without Government assistance.

Poll tax?

what is the purpose of instructing dmv personel NOT to inform the citizens getting this gvt id, unless they ask?

Uh... Saving money. Government expenditure. Deficit spending.

Poll tax?

so, they want people getting the gvt id to vote, to pay to vote? hoping they are ignorant?*

Last edited:

How about you deflect a little bit more?

How about you justify why Tax Money needs to provide for State I.D.'s in the first place. Require them for Social Services. Jesus man, You are helping set up a system where people are not able to wipe their own asses without Government assistance.

What Care is talking about is my justification.....

If you are going to require an ID to vote you cannot charge a fee to obtain the ID. It becomes a poll tax at that point. I'm not "helping set up a system where people are not able to wipe their own asses without Government assistance" for being against such a fee. Calm down.

Poll tax?

You don't save money by making voting pay to play.

How about we objectively look at things one is not supposed to do without ID.

Opening a Savings, Checking Account, or Charge Account.

Travel by Plane or Train.

Pick up mail at a Post Office.

Shit, I get I.D.'d at the Bronx Zoo. :)

Shopping, Costco, B.J.'s.

Buying and Registering a Motor Vehicle.

Driving a Motor Vehicle.

You act like the norm is to not have ID on your possession, when it is the norm to carry ID. The argument is disingenuous.

Last edited:

Poll tax?

I would imagine to save money. They have informed the public more than adequately that a person can obtain a free ID if asked. And a person will then obtain an ID free of charge.

However, in this time of budget crunches there is no reason to volunteer to give the product away once the agency has met their obligations of informing the public of an avenue they can pursue if they wish to obtain a free ID.

so, they want people getting the gvt id to vote, to pay to vote? hoping they are ignorant?*

You are supporting irresponsible irrational behavior by twisting the argument around to suit your end. Tell me what one uses for ID when signing up for Food Stamps or Welfare?

They dont want Americans to vote, it keeps their party from power

Recorded for evidence of her stupidity.

Yes, Republicans don't want Americans to vote because it keeps Republicans from power.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Immie
SOOOO YOU ARE MAKING A CONNECTION BETWEEN GOVERNMENT EMPLOYES AND CONSERVATIVES ?????????????? I kind of find it hard to see how a big government organization like the DMV is connected to a party that wants to shrink government!! please explain how a government employe and the republican party are connected.........most government employes and union members are democrats !!:eusa_eh:

You act like the norm is to not have ID on your possession, when it is the norm to carry ID. The argument is disingenuous.

I'm not acting like anything. I don't care what else an ID is required for. When an ID becomes a requirement to vote any fee to obtain it would be a poll tax. It's just an unintended consequence. No biggie. Like I said, I'm all for the ID requirement otherwise.

You don't save money by making voting pay to play.
why are you against proving you are who you say you are before you vote !! and do you believe that their is massive voter fraud committed by the left??

They dont want Americans to vote, it keeps their party from power

Yes, Republicans don't want Americans to vote because it keeps Republicans from power.

Immie
SOOOO YOU ARE MAKING A CONNECTION BETWEEN GOVERNMENT EMPLOYES AND CONSERVATIVES ?????????????? I kind of find it hard to see how a big government organization like the DMV is connected to a party that wants to shrink government!! please explain how a government employe and the republican party are connected.........most government employes and union members are democrats !!:eusa_eh:
dmv got an email frm the gvnor's office i believe, telling them not to freely inform their citizens/customers....only inform them, if they ask.

Immie
dmv got an email frm the gvnor's office i believe, telling them not to freely inform their citizens/customers....only inform them, if they ask.

I believe the signage posted constitutes "freely informing" the public.

Who here, on these boards does not regularly carry ID when away from home? Why?
i don't if the hubby is driving, which is most of the time! i may carry a credit card though! :D for the ''just in case i see something i want to buy (and matt's not too keen on it)'' occasion !!!!

in massachusetts, i usually ALWAYS had an id on me, but not here.....it's very laid back, and different here. A BIG change from the ''rat race''!

I'm not acting like anything. I don't care what else an ID is required for. When an ID becomes a requirement to vote any fee to obtain it would be a poll tax. It's just an unintended consequence. No biggie. Like I said, I'm all for the ID requirement otherwise.

I half way agree with you. I would rather see moron's getting a free State ID that they could show when they Vote, than no ID Requirement at all. As it stands in NY, a potential Voter can only be asked for ID if their Name is Flagged on the List, which is absurd.

Reality dictates that there are instances which occur in everyday life where ID is required.

NYS DMV - (Brochure) Photo Licenses and ID Cards: Secure ...
... $9.00 and $10.00. A long-term ID will cost between $13.00 and $14.00. These fees include a $5.00 photo document fee. ...
NYS DMV - (Brochure) Photo Licenses and ID Cards: Secure Proof for Drivers and Non-Drivers - 16k - 2011-05-19 - Cached

How to Apply

To apply for a learner permit, driver license, or non-driver ID card, you must complete an "Application For Driver License Or ID Card" (MV-44), available at any motor vehicle office, by request from a DMV Call Center, and from the DMV Internet Office. You must present the required proof of name and date of birth, and pay the appropriate fee.

Proof of Name and Identity

DMV assigns point values to acceptable documents that prove name and identity. To qualify for a license or ID card, your documents of proof must total at least 6 points. These documents must be original or copies certified by the issuing agency. At least one must include your signature. Photocopies and documents with erasures or changes will not be accepted. NOTE: To see the current acceptable proofs of identity and proof of date of birth, please refer to the ID page of the website.

Proof of Date of Birth

You also must prove your date of birth. Your document must be the original, or a certified photocopy from the issuing agency. DMV will accept ANY ONE of these documents:

Birth certificate issued and certified by a Board of Health or Bureau of Vital Statistics in the U.S., its territories, or possessions. Foreign birth certificates are not acceptable.

NYS Photo License/Permit/Non-Driver ID Card
Military Photo ID Card
U.S. Passport
Foreign Passport (with USCIS documentation)
Immigration Documents

NOTE: The USCIS was formerly known as the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). To see the current acceptable proofs of identity and proof of date of birth, please refer to the ID page of the website.

Social Security Card

A U.S. Social Security Card is required when you apply for an original New York State photo license, learner permit, or non-driver identification card. It is also required when you renew a non-driver identification card.

Valid Periods and Fees

Your first New York State driver license will expire in about 3 to 5 years, on your month and day of birth. Depending on your age, and whether you are applying for a junior operator or full-license permit, your fee will be $64.25 to $105.00. A license renewal is valid for 8 years, and the fee to renew a Class D license is $62.50. These fees include a $12.50 photo document fee.

Important: There is a supplemental Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee of $1.00 for every six months the permit or driver license will be in effect. The fee is paid by residents of the five New York City counties of: Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), New York (Manhattan), Queens and Richmond (Staten Island). The MCTD fee is also paid by residents of the counties of Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk and Westchester. The MCTD fee is not included in the fees in this brochure.

If you do not drive, you may choose a short-term non-driver ID card valid for 4 to 5 years, or a long-term ID card valid for 8 to 9 years. The exact period of your ID card and your fee depend on whether you select a short-term or long-term ID and the relationship between the date you apply and the expiration date (your month and day of birth). A short-term ID card will cost between $9.00 and $10.00. A long-term ID will cost between $13.00 and $14.00. These fees include a $5.00 photo document fee.

Discounted Non-Driver ID Card For Seniors and SSI Recipients

If you are 62 years old or older or are receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you are eligible for a 10-year ID card at a reduced fee of $6.50. If you are both 62 or older and you receive SSI, there is no fee. If you receive Social Security Income (SSI), in addition to documents proving your name and age, you also must prove you receive SSI. DMV will accept ANY ONE of the following documents from the Social Security Administration as proof that you receive SSI:

Notice of Award
Notice of Change in Payment (SSA-L8151)
Report of Confidential Social Security Benefit Information (SSA-2458)
Benefit Verification Letter
NYS DMV - (Brochure) Photo Licenses and ID Cards: Secure Proof for Drivers and Non-Drivers

Forum List

Back