Wisconsin Law requires the teaching of the history of Labor Movement.

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
Does it not trouble anyone that it is Law that Teachers, who are members of a Union, are required by law to teach the history of the Labor Movement and collective Bargaining?

Do you think they are able to teach it unbiased? Really

Wisconsin law requires teaching of history of organized labor – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Do you think they teach about the Darker side of it? The connections to organized crime? The Problems over reaching Unions, like the UAW, have caused with our Economy, The destruction of our manufacturing Base?

I doubt it.

Last edited:
I have as much a problem with the labor movement being part of the curriculum as I do the abolitionist movement or womens sufferage movement. None at all. Obviously worker exploitation, laws are intended to make the work place safe, limit the number of hours employees can be made to work, and laws that restrict the use of child labor are part of our nations history.

Does it not trouble anyone that it is Law that Teachers, who are members of a Union, are required by law to teach the history of the Labor Movement and collective Bargaining?

Wisconsin law requires teaching of history of organized labor – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Do you think they teach about the Darker side of it? The connections to organized crime? The Problems over reaching Unions, like the UAW, have caused with our Economy, The destruction of our manufacturing Base?

I doubt it.

Are You flipping kidding me? What about only "Evolution" being taught in schools, why not Creationism, or Scientology along with it? No matter what the subject is, there is always more than one school of thought.

I doubt it.

So if they were non-union, they'd teach it from an anti-union bias.

I doubt it.

Connections to organized crime?

Are you referring to Ronald Reagan being endorsed by the Teamsters?

:lol::lol::lol:

The problem is not what they teach, it is the way in which it is taught.

Show both the good things that unions have achieved, and the down side of union movements... and encourage the kids to discuss it and form their own opinions. Radical!!

Jimmy Hoffa had connections to the mob. The fact the Teamsters endorsed Ronald Reagan has absolutely no relevancy whatsoever. In fact your statement indirectly infers that mobsters are only Democrats, which I doubt is the case.

"The 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy." Alex Carey [see Democracy after Citizens United | MIT World ]

Unions raised the boat for all Americans, they are the only challenge to corporate power and government neglect and yet the powerful and the greedy have always fought them in action and word. The words do seem to work as we now have a whole generation who have a negative attitude towards what was and may still be the only hope for working people. America is sliding towards third world status and many cheer the path.

"Corporate propaganda directed outwards, that is, to the public at large, has two main objectives: to identify the free enterprise system in popular consciousness with every cherished value, and to identify interventionist governments and strong unions (the only agencies capable of checking a complete domination of society by corporations) with tyranny, oppression and even subversion. The techniques used to achieve these results are variously called 'public relations', 'corporate communications' and 'economic education'." Alex Carey 'Taking the Risk out of Democracy'

Jimmy Hoffa had connections to the mob. The fact the Teamsters endorsed Ronald Reagan has absolutely no relevancy whatsoever. In fact your statement indirectly infers that mobsters are only Democrats, which I doubt is the case.

I retract my rewarding of ironic post of the month to GStarz a few minutes ago.

The problem is not what they teach, it is the way in which it is taught.

Show both the good things that unions have achieved, and the down side of union movements... and encourage the kids to discuss it and form their own opinions. Radical!!

Agreed, the good things back in the early days, like getting paid for your work, basic safety regulations, and protection from discrimination and random acts of stupidity.

The problem is once they got all the basics done, they had to justify thier existance, and maintinaing the status quo has never won anyone an election anywhere. So they had to push, and push, creating asinine work rules, overly complex grievence systems, etc. Finally they got to the point where they have to not only defend a worker wrongly accused of something, but also the slackers and the idiots, who rightly should lose thier job.

Forum List

Back