Wisconsin Judge Halts Further Implementation Of Union Law (Again)

Feb 2, 2011
For the second time, a Wisconsin judge has ordered WI officials to stop implementation of Gov Scott Walker's controversial union bargaining law. We'll see how it plays out in the state Supreme Court; but for now, the law is on hold.

Wisconsin Judge Halts Further Implementation Of Union Law

MADISON, Wis. — A Wisconsin judge for the second time directed the state to put on hold an explosive law that strips most public workers of nearly all their union bargaining rights, ordering officials on Tuesday to follow her original instructions to stand down.

"Apparently that language was either misunderstood or ignored, but what I said was the further implementation of (the law) was enjoined," said a visibly annoyed Dane County Circuit Judge Maryann Sumi. "That is what I now want to make crystal clear."

Earlier this month, Sumi issued an emergency injunction prohibiting the Wisconsin secretary of state from formally publishing the law – the final step before it could take effect.

Republican legislative leaders responded by directing the law be published by another state agency, and then declared it valid. State officials began implementing the law this weekend, stopping the collection of union dues for state workers and taking more from their pay for health care and retirement.

Sumi said Tuesday that action violated her original order, and she made it clear after a daylong hearing that the law was on hold while she considers a broader challenge to its legality.

The back and forth furthered the often angry debate between new Gov. Scott Walker, his Republican allies in the Legislature and the state's public sector unions.

Walker and the GOP have aggressively pushed forward their effort to remove the bargaining rights of state workers, using a surprise parliamentary maneuver to break a weeks-long stalemate to get it passed and then finding another route to publish the law after Sumi's order blocked the secretary of state from doing so.

State Department of Justice spokesman Steve Means said the agency continues to believe the law was properly published and is in effect. Walker's spokesman, Cullen Werwie, didn't immediately return a message seeking comment.

Wisconsin Department of Administration Secretary Mike Huebsch, Walker's top aide, issued a statement saying the agency will evaluate the judge's order.

"We will continue to confer with our legal counsel and have more information about how to move forward in the near future," Huebsch said.

The law requires most public workers to contribute more to their pensions and health insurance. It also strips away their rights to collectively bargain for anything except wages.

Walker is TRYING to play nice. He doesn't wanna take the asshole option, but he could: That judge is a COUNTY judge. Appeals go UP, not down. A state law can't be overturned by a county court. Walker can at anytime say "Screw you bitch, you're a county judge, this is a state law" but he's trying to lay low now that it's passed and not do that.

That would be like the state passing a 70mph speed limit, then a county judge saying "Thats not constitutional, our county will have a 150mp speed limit on all highways." Well, guess what? The speed limit is still gonna be 70. The county can't overrule a state law. Just like a state can't overturn a federal law. We learned that in Arizona, right?

maybe it's time to put walker in jail for contempt?

Sure, throw Obama, Salazar and that dipshit Sebilius in there with him.

Obama's situation is different. At least one federal judge ruled on Obamacare. Federal judges can rule on federal laws. But county judges can't overturn state laws. They can make any ruling they want, and whine about it all they want, and demand all they want. But they simply can't do it. A county can't overrule a state speed limit, for example.

Well, that link explains it. That judge is obviously gonna sell out her integrity on behalf of the SEIU.

They have obviously decided to ignore her because she doesn't have jurisdiction. The State Appeals panel last week issued an opinion that she overstepped her authority, and the Law was then published on Monday.

Her ruling on a Wisconsin State issue carries the same weight mine would.

They have obviously decided to ignore her because she doesn't have jurisdiction. The State Appeals panel last week issued an opinion that she overstepped her authority, and the Law was then published on Monday.

Her ruling on a Wisconsin State issue carries the same weight mine would.

Yep. I've been saying that for days. A county judge can't overthrow a state law. States set speed limits. Counties can't overthrow those.

This left wing lunatic judge is just pitching her hissy fit over the union thing, and crying like a lil punk. It's amazing how liberals act in defeat.

Judges do think they rule the world.

Perhaps a Fed Judge should explain the facts of life to this County Judge??

I'm tired of paying taxes so that government workers can retire in comfort while I eat cat food in my golden years.

What would happen if more and more of us get tired of it just like me.

Oh wait, it is happening. That's why America is going bankrupt

Just quit working and either get on welfare, social security, or disability.

Let the three or four people left still paying taxes, bill gates, Warren buffet, Donald trump, and oprah, let them support America.

This is what liberals think is right and fair.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
For the second time, a Wisconsin judge has ordered WI officials to stop implementation of Gov Scott Walker's controversial union bargaining law. We'll see how it plays out in the state Supreme Court; but for now, the law is on hold.

Wisconsin Judge Halts Further Implementation Of Union Law

MADISON, Wis. — A Wisconsin judge for the second time directed the state to put on hold an explosive law that strips most public workers of nearly all their union bargaining rights, ordering officials on Tuesday to follow her original instructions to stand down.

"Apparently that language was either misunderstood or ignored, but what I said was the further implementation of (the law) was enjoined," said a visibly annoyed Dane County Circuit Judge Maryann Sumi. "That is what I now want to make crystal clear."

Earlier this month, Sumi issued an emergency injunction prohibiting the Wisconsin secretary of state from formally publishing the law – the final step before it could take effect.

Republican legislative leaders responded by directing the law be published by another state agency, and then declared it valid. State officials began implementing the law this weekend, stopping the collection of union dues for state workers and taking more from their pay for health care and retirement.

Sumi said Tuesday that action violated her original order, and she made it clear after a daylong hearing that the law was on hold while she considers a broader challenge to its legality.

The back and forth furthered the often angry debate between new Gov. Scott Walker, his Republican allies in the Legislature and the state's public sector unions.

Walker and the GOP have aggressively pushed forward their effort to remove the bargaining rights of state workers, using a surprise parliamentary maneuver to break a weeks-long stalemate to get it passed and then finding another route to publish the law after Sumi's order blocked the secretary of state from doing so.

State Department of Justice spokesman Steve Means said the agency continues to believe the law was properly published and is in effect. Walker's spokesman, Cullen Werwie, didn't immediately return a message seeking comment.

Wisconsin Department of Administration Secretary Mike Huebsch, Walker's top aide, issued a statement saying the agency will evaluate the judge's order.

"We will continue to confer with our legal counsel and have more information about how to move forward in the near future," Huebsch said.

The law requires most public workers to contribute more to their pensions and health insurance. It also strips away their rights to collectively bargain for anything except wages.
Anyone else smell a case of 'judge shopping' going on here? Dane county? I would like to know when a county judge can overrule a state law.

Forum List

Back