Wisconsin governor, likely rival tied in recall vote

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
Wisconsin Republican Governor Scott Walker is in a statistical tie with his chief Democratic rival, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, in a poll released on Wednesday less than five weeks before a June recall election with national implications for organized labor.

Reflecting the state's deep political division, the poll showed Walker leading Barrett 48 percent to 47 percent among likely voters, and trailing the challenger 46 percent to 47 percent among registered voters.

The poll suggested that Barrett has gained slightly on Walker since he entered the race in March. In prior Marquette polls, Barrett trailed Walker by 2 points a month ago and by 6 points in January.

Walker raised $13 million from January 17 through April 23, according to finance reports filed with Wisconsin - more than seven times the combined amount raised by Barrett and Falk.

Poll: Wisconsin governor, likely rival tied in recall vote - Yahoo! News

I find it interesting that Walker, despite raising seven times more money, is in a "statistical tie". Most of that money must be coming from out of state.

I've got mixed feelings about the Walker thing.

I certainly do feel that the war on unions is a war on teh working class. It seems that instead of being mad that big corporations took away all the good benefits in the private sector, working folks are upset that the public sector was able to keep theirs. How dare they not go along. It's like instead of wanting to go after the arsonist, you want them to burn down your neighbors house, too.

That said, a lot of what Walker did needed to be done. The state was insolvent, and he made tough choices to make it solvent. It's the kind of thing we keep demanding of politicians, but when one actually does it and doesn't kick the can down the road, we're ready to string him up. Don't even wait for the next election, get him out now!

I certainly do feel that the war on unions is a war on teh working class. It seems that instead of being mad that big corporations took away all the good benefits in the private sector, working folks are upset that the public sector was able to keep theirs. How dare they not go along. It's like instead of wanting to go after the arsonist, you want them to burn down your neighbors house, too.

That said, a lot of what Walker did needed to be done. The state was insolvent, and he made tough choices to make it solvent. It's the kind of thing we keep demanding of politicians, but when one actually does it and doesn't kick the can down the road, we're ready to string him up. Don't even wait for the next election, get him out now!

I certainly do feel that the war on unions is a war on teh working class.

They are not part of the working class they are part of the elite class. Union members are over paid people.

They are not part of the working class they are part of the elite class. Union members are over paid people.

Depends on what you consider "overpaid".

Franly, I don't think paying someone $28.00 an hour to assemble a car or $55,000 to teach kids being overpaid. I consider that fair compensation.

As opposed to a CEO who gets an 8 figure salary and a golden parachute for driving their companies into bankruptcy.

They fought for fair compensation... and didn't give it up when the rest of you were letting yourselves get cheated. Good on them.

According to who? You?

The unions had already agreed to compensation reductions but Walker wasn't satisfied with that. He had to attack their very existence which would take Wisconsin back to the days when public sector jobs were nothing more than political patronage and changed with each election.

According to who? You?

The unions had already agreed to compensation reductions but Walker wasn't satisfied with that. He had to attack their very existence which would take Wisconsin back to the days when public sector jobs were nothing more than political patronage and changed with each election.

According to who? You?

Yes according to me and anyone else who is non union who has worked with union people on non union jobs.

Depends on what you consider "overpaid".

Franly, I don't think paying someone $28.00 an hour to assemble a car or $55,000 to teach kids being overpaid. I consider that fair compensation.

As opposed to a CEO who gets an 8 figure salary and a golden parachute for driving their companies into bankruptcy.

They fought for fair compensation... and didn't give it up when the rest of you were letting yourselves get cheated. Good on them.

They are over paid for doing very little work.

According to who? You?

According to who? You?

Yes according to me and anyone else who is non union who has worked with union people on non union jobs.

So what you are upset about is that they negotiated a better deal than you did? Really?

According to who? You?

According to who? You?

So what you are upset about is that they negotiated a better deal than you did? Really?

Have you ever worked with union people? I have they don't work

Yes, I have. And, yeah, they aren't living in mortal fear of losing their jobs. Oh, my, that's horrible.

Frankly, I've seen hard working unions guys and I've seen non-union people who did more work avoiding work than actual working.

I think that's human nature. You find what you can get away with and that's where you settle in.

Yes, I have. And, yeah, they aren't living in mortal fear of losing their jobs. Oh, my, that's horrible.

Frankly, I've seen hard working unions guys and I've seen non-union people who did more work avoiding work than actual working.

I think that's human nature. You find what you can get away with and that's where you settle in.

They can lose their job just ask those of the former Piedmont airlines and what happen when they went on strike. I've run off a number of union guys who would not work.

Last edited:
I have no issue with unions, public or private, it is the choice of the workers. I do have issues with public sector unions having collective bargaining. Since Walker ended the collective bargaining, the state has saved millions in health insurance and ended the unions strangle hold their own, that is what the union is upset with. Collective bargaining holds taxpayers at gun point. Hell, FDR, didn't believe in collective bargaining, one of the few points I agree with him on.

They can lose their job just ask those of the former Piedmont airlines and what happen when they went on strike. I've run off a number of union guys who would not work.

Ya sure. And when I was in a supervisory position, I put some non-union guys down the road that would not work or were incompetant. Big mouthed blowhards. I wonder if one of them was you, Biggie?

I have no issue with unions, public or private, it is the choice of the workers. I do have issues with public sector unions having collective bargaining. Since Walker ended the collective bargaining, the state has saved millions in health insurance and ended the unions strangle hold their own, that is what the union is upset with. Collective bargaining holds taxpayers at gun point. Hell, FDR, didn't believe in collective bargaining, one of the few points I agree with him on.

FDR also lived at a time when government jobs were handed out largely on the basis of patronage. Your side lost the election, everyone lost their jobs and a new mob of guys who were brother in laws and cousins with no qualifications were brought in. That's why government workers pushed for unions at all levels, because they sort of had enough of that nonsense.

Now, again, I have no problem with Walker making cuts in benefits and wages. BUt ending collective bargaining had nothing to do with that, really. The unions had even agreed to a lot of the cuts he was asking for. This was about busting up the unions because they were on the other team.

Wisconsin Republican Governor Scott Walker is in a statistical tie with his chief Democratic rival, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, in a poll released on Wednesday less than five weeks before a June recall election with national implications for organized labor.

Reflecting the state's deep political division, the poll showed Walker leading Barrett 48 percent to 47 percent among likely voters, and trailing the challenger 46 percent to 47 percent among registered voters.

The poll suggested that Barrett has gained slightly on Walker since he entered the race in March. In prior Marquette polls, Barrett trailed Walker by 2 points a month ago and by 6 points in January.

Walker raised $13 million from January 17 through April 23, according to finance reports filed with Wisconsin - more than seven times the combined amount raised by Barrett and Falk.

I find it interesting that Walker, despite raising seven times more money, is in a "statistical tie". Most of that money must be coming from out of state.

and where do you think the money for the recall drive came from?

Out of state.

Ya sure. And when I was in a supervisory position, I put some non-union guys down the road that would not work or were incompetant. Big mouthed blowhards. I wonder if one of them was you, Biggie?

I doubt it.

and where do you think the money for the recall drive came from?

Out of state.

And the signatures needed to begin the recall?

Forum List

Back