Wisconsin collective bargaining law result

I chuckle to myself when I see how well the reforms ar working. Schools are better off? Sure they are. In my town alone the school has to cut 1.5 million this year and another 1.5 million next year. I have one kid left in the house. His class sizes are set to rise up to near 40 in some. I for one will be at the next school board meeting demanding his classes be no bigger than 25. Thats a travesty. I know of other districts who will be cutting drastically as well. I know you cant have major cuts and good schools. Thats what the people want, lesser education. They shall get their wish.

Wisconsin Schools Back in the Black WITHOUT LAYOFFS!
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker performs a ceremonial bill signing of the new budget law outside his office at the Wisconsin State Capitol on March 11, 2011 in Madison. The new law helped the Hartland-Lakeside School District save money on health care costs by switching providers.
That’s where Wisconsin’s new budget law came in. The law, bitterly opposed by organized labor in the state and across the nation, limits the collective bargaining powers of some public employees. And it just happens that the Hartland-Lakeside teachers’ collective bargaining agreement expired on June 30. So now, freed from the expensive WEA Trust deal, the school district has changed insurers.

“It’s going to save us about $690,000 in 2011-2012,” says Schilling. Insurance costs that had been about $2.5 million a year will now be around $1.8 million. What union leaders said would be a catastrophe will in fact be a boon to teachers and students.

I can post article like this from all over Wisconsin. But of course, you know that.

Any arguments based on the performance of either the Wisconsin state budget or the Wisconsin economy -- in either direction -- are fallacious. The anti-collective-bargaining law did exactly NOTHING to cut Wisconsin state expenses. All of the proposed budget cuts had already been agreed to by the unions before this law was passed. Any positive effect on the Wisconsin budget is therefore completely independent of this law, and this law had no effect on it -- good or bad.

So shouldn't the entire law go like many on the right say about Obamacare if one part is struck down?

Ohh but Obamacare is something the right does not like so different rules :D

You should bone up on "severability".

Several parts of Obamacare scould survive alone.
The preexisting conditions part for instance.

Which most on the right would agree with you on that and some others things in the law but the way Obama and his croneys rammed the bill down our throats with out even knowing what was in it was what pissed US off .. I am for healthcare reform if its done RIGHT not just thrown together and forced upon us like it was!!

Any arguments based on the performance of either the Wisconsin state budget or the Wisconsin economy -- in either direction -- are fallacious. The anti-collective-bargaining law did exactly NOTHING to cut Wisconsin state expenses. All of the proposed budget cuts had already been agreed to by the unions before this law was passed. Any positive effect on the Wisconsin budget is therefore completely independent of this law, and this law had no effect on it -- good or bad.

I did not mention the state budget. I showed how a school (just one of many) saved money and made positive strides in their district budgets, all without affecting staff or services, and ALL because the collective bargaining changes Walker brought into play.

Regarding the Affordable Care Act, I agree that without the individual mandate it cannot work, that insurance rates will go through the roof.

Have any of you folks gloating prematurely considered the likely result of that in terms of what kind of action the public will demand? I can think of nothing more likely to accelerate a push for a single-payer plan. It's inevitable we're going to get one sooner or later, but Obamacare might have delayed matters for a while, as people gave it a chance to see if it will work. If the court strikes the law down, though, say goodbye to that delay, and prepare to be dismayed.

Union dues constitute extortion...

Unions may as well tell a dude he needs to pay for his job..

Every state should be a "right to work" state - in every industry both public and private.

Last edited:
I did not mention the state budget. I showed how a school (just one of many) saved money and made positive strides in their district budgets, all without affecting staff or services, and ALL because the collective bargaining changes Walker brought into play.

You are correct -- which means that it goes into the category of "cutting off your nose to spite your face."

You are correct -- which means that it goes into the category of "cutting off your nose to spite your face."

How is allowing districts to balance their budgets, without cutting services or teaching staff, cutting off their nose to spite their face?

How is allowing districts to balance their budgets, without cutting services or teaching staff, cutting off their nose to spite their face?

Let me pose you a hypothetical merely to illustrate how silly your question is. Suppose that the district were to balance its budget by executing a certain percentage of adults, chosen by lottery, and harvesting the bodies for donor organs to sell to hospitals. Would you agree that this, although it would balance the budget without cutting services or teaching staff, would not be a good idea?

That being the case, is it not obvious that the fact that the budget is balanced without cutting services or teaching staff, does not AUTOMATICALLY mean that everything is well, and that all pertinent factors need to be examined?

Collective bargaining is a right that should never be sacrificed as long as people are dependent on working for wages to gain their livelihood. If that is the price for balancing the budget, it's too high.

That's false. A one time concession wouldn't have fixed the pressures unions in Wisconsin have placed on municipal budgets.

People don't get that or don't want to get that.

I don't expect to change any minds a year after this debate began, but I still have to lodge my standard objection to the claim. ( :

"Wisconsin Schools Back in the Black WITHOUT LAYOFFS!"

Thats from the washington examiner. If you dont live in wisconsin, how do you know? How does the author know?
I have lived here for the past 15 years, I know my district well. We are cutting 3 million in the next 2 years. That article may cover a few, not all. I am one of the very few in this country who believes in education and that a college education is the ONLY, I MEAN ONLY, chance my kids have. And that is the truth which frankly nobody on gods green earth can argue against.

This was a stretch to begin with, a BIG one, but hey they are using union dues to pay the lawyers to fight for these slims cases, so what do they care;

Federal judge rules Wisconsin's union reforms constitutional

Wisconsin’s collective bargaining reforms, which prompted strong protests from organized labor, do not violate the free speech and equal protection rights of public sector union workers, a federal judge ruled on Wednesday.

The reforms, passed in 2011 by Republican lawmakers, severely limit the bargaining power of public sector unions while forcing most state workers to pay more for benefits such as health insurance and pensions. They also made payment of union dues voluntary and forced unions to be recertified every year. …

Federal Judge William Conley in Madison wrote in his ruling that the First Amendment grants public employees the right to free speech and association, but does not grant them collective bargaining rights.

Federal judge rules Wisconsin's union reforms constitutional | Reuters

Forum List

Back