Wis. inmate loses battle to play Dungeons and Dragons in jail

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
kare11.com | Twin Cities, MN | Wis. inmate loses battle to play Dungeons and Dragons in jail

MADISON, Wis. -- A convicted murderer serving life in prison in Wisconsin has lost his legal battle to play Dungeons and Dragons behind bars.

Kevin T. Singer filed a lawsuit against officials at Wisconsin's Waupun prison after a policy was initiated in 2004 to eradicate all Dungeons and Dragons game materials among concerns that playing it promotes gang-related activity.

The 33-year-old Singer is a devoted player of the fantasy role-playing game that involves recruiting others to play as a group. He argued that his First Amendment rights were being violated and demanded that Dungeons and Dragons material confiscated from his cell be returned.

Wouldn't want to mess with the D&D Gang. :lol:

im sure he can polish up a nice set of dice from broken teeth or something.

seriously though. the premise of D&D causing gang activity is just stupid. If anything, it's a past time that would remove the culture of butt fucking from the prison experience and foster teamwork instead of the usual prison hellhole culture.

besides, a true player doesn't even need materials outside of his imagination and damn near any test of randomizing results.

What it doesnt mention is their quest frequently took place inside a prison where they had to fight inmates and escape the facility to win.

Prison officials are very strick with gaming.

I remmeber years ago a guy who was a dedicated board wargamer was not allowed to bring such games into prison as the officials said it was promoting violence (The board wargaming community was about simulating and studying history, not violence per see).

The guy tried appealing it and the officials eventually allowed it after getting some letters explaining the hobby from such gamers.

Prison officials are very strick with gaming.

I remmeber years ago a guy who was a dedicated board wargamer was not allowed to bring such games into prison as the officials said it was promoting violence (The board wargaming community was about simulating and studying history, not violence per see).

The guy tried appealing it and the officials eventually allowed it after getting some letters explaining the hobby from such gamers.

We all know if they start playing D&D then people will get shanked because someone got a bad roll. :eusa_shhh: :lol:

Were I in the administration, it is something I would encourage, as it encourages teamwork and mutual reliance.

Of course, if that is the guys life, he needs to miss it. As the guy he killed, he won't get to play D&D anymore either.

Were I in the administration, it is something I would encourage, as it encourages teamwork and mutual reliance.

Of course, if that is the guys life, he needs to miss it. As the guy he killed, he won't get to play D&D anymore either.

I would encourage it too ... I'd much prefer prisoners nerding out to some D&D than just about anything.

Seems like he only has half of a complaint. If he's in prison, they let him play in the "dungeon" all day. Whatever happened to making prisoners go out on chain gangs and do work and stuff like that? That gets my vote. I think the prison system should only be interested in giving him three hots and a cot and nice strong bars surrounding a small, dimly lite, no view iron-bared window in which he can look out of if he stands on the tips of his toes and a big, big guy named "Bubba" for a cellmate. He doesn't deserve any more than that. Prison should be a pure hell hole that nobody would ever ever want to go to. Then maybe it would help deter crime a little bit more.

Ummm... you ever game? :lol:

the themes most frequently used involve stealing, killing and wholesale criminal mayhem of fantasy, sci fi or some other historical genre. Tomorrow for instance, we're off to commit AD&D 4ed mayhem by hopefully killing off a Gibbering Mouther while on our quest to assassinate a goblin duke who's possibly more than he seems.

Ahhhhh the fun.

Seems like he only has half of a complaint. If he's in prison, they let him play in the "dungeon" all day. Whatever happened to making prisoners go out on chain gangs and do work and stuff like that?

LOL... good point. But in Wisconsin.. they're 'thivilithed'. They wouldn't consider doing something as rational as putting prisoners to good menial use like they do down south on chain gangs. Go a long way to making the state's highways cleaner among other useful menial jobs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vChEPj0dXXk]YouTube - AMV - Dead Alewives - Dungeons and Dragons(video)[/ame]

A wierd version of the oft requested Dr. Demento show skit by the Dead Alewives.

the themes most frequently used involve stealing, killing and wholesale criminal mayhem of fantasy, sci fi or some other historical genre. Tomorrow for instance, we're off to commit AD&D 4ed mayhem by hopefully killing off a Gibbering Mouther while on our quest to assassinate a goblin duke who's possibly more than he seems.

Ahhhhh the fun.

Seems like he only has half of a complaint. If he's in prison, they let him play in the "dungeon" all day. Whatever happened to making prisoners go out on chain gangs and do work and stuff like that?

LOL... good point. But in Wisconsin.. they're 'thivilithed'. They wouldn't consider doing something as rational as putting prisoners to good menial use like they do down south on chain gangs. Go a long way to making the state's highways cleaner among other useful menial jobs.

:eusa_eh:

Oh, and our highways are pretty damned clean; thanks. :)

Ahhhhh the fun.

LOL... I know. I'm a cheesehead in exile about to rectify the situation. How about shovelling? Can we get em to shovel? And there are lots of crappy jobs out in the woods that can be done. I know cause I did em once for the DNR.

Although the way I hear tell about one of the county jails where he's a guard, Waupan is a picknick compared to how tight a ship they run there. I have known a few people who served time there too. They were begging for huber privilidge.

Last edited:

Ahhhhh the fun.

LOL... I know. I'm a cheesehead in exile about to rectify the situation. How about shovelling? Can we get em to shovel? And there are lots of crappy jobs out in the woods that can be done. I know cause I did em once for the DNR.

If we get'm to shovel, they'll likely develop asthma from being subjected to cruel and unusual punishment, and being forced into the elements against their will.

If we get'm to shovel, they'll likely develop asthma from being subjected to cruel and unusual punishment, and being forced into the elements against their will.
Nonsense. That's fresh air and exercise. LOL

Forum List

Back