wireless

KarlMarx said:
No, actually WEP (or some other type of encryption) is already installed on your router and wireless card. All you need to do is enable it. In my case, I had to supply a password. Others have theirs set up so that only computers with certain addresses can access the network

Right, you work by the MAC Address, this makes it so nobody except Supercomputernerd can access your network without using the same network card as your one wireless card and your machine at home. Since it is already installed when you put it in your computer and set up the network you simply checkmark the little square. Easy as pie.

no1tovote4 said:
Right, you work by the MAC Address, this makes it so nobody except Supercomputernerd can access your network without using the same network card as your one wireless card and your machine at home. Since it is already installed when you put it in your computer and set up the network you simply checkmark the little square. Easy as pie.

Yes, that's right.... and the MAC address is printed on the wireless card, so you just have to type it in. Plus every card has its own unique MAC address which is hard wired into the card, and virtually impossible (that I know of) to spoof ("spoofing" is a method hackers use to get around computer security).

Another thing is that the instructions to do all this are always provided with the product in a very easy to understand step by step brochure or manual.

Here's a story of how easy it is to do. A couple of weeks back, I went on a business trip. The hotel I stayed at had high speed wireless Internet, but my laptop didn't have a wireless card. So I purchased one at a nearby mall, plugged the card into the machine, installed the software off of the CD, followed a two or three step set up procedure and was up and running. The whole set up process took maybe 10 minutes, if that.

The hard part was finding the store that sold the card as it was in the King of Prussia mall, the country's largest mall (THAT took about an hour!). Too bad the local Radio Shack didn't deliver ("Hello? Radio Shack? I'd like to order a laptop wireless card with everything on it!")! :) :)

New Topics

Forum List

Back