Wireless network

pegwinn

Top of the Food Chain
Apr 17, 2004
Texas
I installed a wireless router on my computer and a wireless card on my daughters. So she can now use the internet connection.

But when I go to what we used to call network neighborhood, I cannot find evidence of her.

Any ideas?

Running WinXP

pegwinn said:
I installed a wireless router on my computer and a wireless card on my daughters. So she can now use the internet connection.

But when I go to what we used to call network neighborhood, I cannot find evidence of her.

Any ideas?

Running WinXP

Did the router come with software? What make/model are you using? That info may help. Did you RTFM? :)

pegwinn said:

Any ideas?

Running WinXP
Did you set the network up? Do you need a network to share stuff?

Mr. P said:
Did you set the network up? Do you need a network to share stuff?

I went back and used the network setup wizard. Funny, I assumed that connecting a pnp router to a pnp card would constitute a network. Guess I am not as smart as I thought. Yeah I want to share the printer and I want to be able to peek in on her to ensure that she isn't being chatted up by some pervert.

Currently I can now "see" her computer, but have no access. Guess I need to make sure it is shared out. I think in it's own way, NT was easier.

pegwinn said:
I went back and used the network setup wizard. Funny, I assumed that connecting a pnp router to a pnp card would constitute a network. Guess I am not as smart as I thought. Yeah I want to share the printer and I want to be able to peek in on her to ensure that she isn't being chatted up by some pervert.

Currently I can now "see" her computer, but have no access. Guess I need to make sure it is shared out. I think in it's own way, NT was easier.
:thup: Great! Yes, you will have to get on her puter and enable the sharing of files etc. in order to peek (don't expect to see much though). Unless you use "Go to my PC" you won't see what she is actually doing in real time, like AIM for example. The problem with "Go to my PC" is she will know when you're there, so the peak is not so much an covert operation as you might like. Plus it costs$$.

I've been down this (peeking) road, but not on a network setup, I'll be glad to share my tricks. :)

EDIT:BTW peg, when you setup the router did you name it and PASSWORD protect it?
If you didn’t anyone within 300 feet or so of the router can use your internet service if they have a wi-fi card.

I did PW protect the router. I'm not really worried about catching her in realtime. She's not a bad kid. I am more inclined to occasionally browse where she's been. NOt a big agent 99 operation. Thanks again.

Forum List

Back