Wireless Capability

AnonymousIV

May 18, 2011
I live between these computers, what are the wireless capabilities? I live on the second and third floors. Could this be interfering with my sleep patterns? :eusa_shifty:

LEXINGTON, Ky. (Sept. 20, 2010) − A new high-performance supercomputer that will help power the University of Kentucky's research mission has already put the school in the top 10 public universities for computing power. The supercomputer, named the William N. Lipscomb Jr. High-Performance Supercomputing Cluster (Lipscomb Cluster) after UK alumnus and Nobel Laureate William N. Lipscomb Jr., is three times more powerful than UK's old machine.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

KNOXVILLE—The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, has been awarded $18 million to help create a new generation of linkages among high-performance computers and research facilities across the nation. The new supercomputing grid will create a powerful tool for taking on some of the most complex problems in science.

The National Institute for Computational Sciences (NICS) will carry out the project, which is part of a $121 million National Science Foundation program to improve connections between high-performance computers, data sources, and experimental facilities. NICS is an NSF center housed in the Joint Institute for Computational Sciences which is jointly operated by UT Knoxville and Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

“The University of Tennessee is committed to scientific discovery and innovation,” said Chancellor Jimmy G. Cheek. “We are proud to continue to support the thousands of scientists that use this grid as they seek to make this world a better place to live through their research.”

The new five-year program, called Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment, or XSEDE, will replace the TeraGrid linkage that now connects the country’s supercomputing resources. NICS is partnering with the University of Illinois, the lead institution on XSEDE.

“The XSEDE grid will allow scientists and engineers to create scientific workflows and gateways, analyze data, and model complex phenomena,” said Patricia Kovatch, director of operations for XSEDE and project director of NICS.

The supercomputers in the XSEDE grid will continue to help solve the world’s toughest dilemmas such as climate change, fatal diseases, and the energy crisis through climate modeling, drug design, or DNA sequencing, and various types of simulation.

NICS manages the NSF supercomputing complex that includes Kraken, a Cray XT5 that is the fastest academic computer in the world, as well as Nautilus, a powerful shared-memory computer used to analyze and visualize the results of computations by other supercomputers.

how do i turn on wireless capability
just bought a new laptop that has windows vista basic. i have a wireless
router. it picks the fact up that i have one but will not let me connect.
when i rn diagnosis on it, it said that my 'wireless capability' was switched
off, and that cld turn it on via a switch on the computer - cannot find a
physical switch ANYWHERE - or by a 'combination of keys'. can anyone tell me
how i can turn on wireless capability? I don't have a wireless card either -
just the router and a couple of cables. incase you couldn't tell already, i'm
not that great with computers.

Forum List

Back