WinXP question

Jackass

Aug 29, 2003
Va
My friend has a WInxp machine that when he clicks on his name at the welcome screen, it starts to load and then switches right back to the login screen. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Jackass said:
My friend has a WInxp machine that when he clicks on his name at the welcome screen, it starts to load and then switches right back to the login screen. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Format! :)

Are you that old Chuck that you've forgotten all you were taught?

hahaha...no not all of it. Was hoping not to have to do that though! :)

Before you format and reinstall!

First of all are there any other users ?

If there are, log into an account that has administrative rights and try deleting the user profile that has the problems. If there are no other users you will have to boot into safe-mode, log in as the admin, and then delete the profile. Not only should you delete the user through the control panel or computer management, but the actual folder that contains the profile.

Pm me chuck !

eric said:
Before you format and reinstall!

First of all are there any other users ?

If there are, log into an account that has administrative rights and try deleting the user profile that has the problems. If there are no other users you will have to boot into safe-mode, log in as the admin, and then delete the profile. Not only should you delete the user through the control panel or computer management, but the actual folder that contains the profile.

Pm me chuck !

That's absolutely correct. I was just messing with Chuck, I like to tell him to format!! :)

If you only have one profile (as I do), it can still possibly be deleted. BUT, keep in mind, if you delete a profile you lose everything that is saved under it!

That includes files and shortcuts on the desktop, application data, cookies & favorites. If at all possible, save this stuff while in safe mode before deleting the profile!

Thanks for the info guys. I havent seen the pc myself yet. I will look into it probably Wednesday though. Thanks!!

I went through this same thing with my son's PC, could not get past the logon screen no matter what I tried( safe mood, last known good config, dos prompt)

Ended up re-installing WinXP, and it worked.

Yes as a last result that will work, but there were other options that you could have tried. In the future just post the problem here ! :)

Just a note, try using a reqular (old style) login in the future. More secure

eric said:
It will still create a user profile.
Very true, but my post was not really a suggestion to solve his problem (since you already provided solution), more a security advice

Forum List

Back