winter car talk...lets get ready

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
yea its early but here we are with freezing temps....

so have ya?

checked that antifreeze....

may as well run some gas antifreeze thru the car..remember dont let it sit on empty in the winter..

o and windshield cleaner fluid..is a must ....

clean the headlights...and brake lights...keep a spray cleaner in the car with a roll of towels...

now pay attention...i know we all got cell phones..well i dont..and we all feel like as long as we are in our cars we are good to go....

toss in some water...a couple of bottles of water...a few cliff bars...whatever...i keep extra clothes in my car just in case...i keep a pair of boots in the car too...crocs are cool..but you really feel stupid in the snow wearing shoes with holes in them...some people keep kitty litter and shovels just in case...i have awd if i get that jammed up...i need a tow truck.

o and while i am at it....my yearly lecture on hypothermia...

here is a long article by princeton:

Outdoor Action Guide to Hypothermia & Cold Weather Injuries

okay lets bottom line all this stuff...dont be an idiot be aware of the cold..it can reach out and kill your ass and it will do it at higher temperatures than you think...dont get drunk and go out in the cold...booze and cold are a killer...dont leave your car if you go off the road....they will find your car before they find you...keep extra clothes...a blanket perhaps in your car...a simple fender bender with a guard rail can activate them air bags which can break your arm....the ying the yang of things...

dont let old man winter catch you not looking...

good point..yes a real hat..and gloves..

sure your friends will mock you...but if you need the stuff you will be glad to have it...

o and there you have it...dont you live in the south...well yes i do..right now its 37 degrees up from 32 this am...i live in the mtns of the south..we get real snow...

People who spend time outdoors in cold weather can reduce heat loss by wearing their clothing loosely and in layers and by keeping their hands, feet, andhead well covered (30-50% of body heat is lost through the head). Because water draws heat away from the body so easily, staying dry is important, and wetclothing and footwear should be replaced as quickly as possible. Wind- and water-resistant outer garments are also crucial. Alcohol should be avoided because it promotes heat loss by expanding the blood vessels that carry body heat to the skin.

Read more: Hypothermia, Information about Hypothermia

here is a fact most ignore:

UNDERSTANDING COLD. Most hypothermia cases develop in air temperatures between 30 and 50 degrees. Most outdoor enthusiast simply can't believe such temperatures can be dangerous. They fatally underestimate the danger of being wet at such temperatures. Fifty degree water is unbearably cold. The cold that kills is cold water running down your neck and legs, and cold water removing body heat from the surface of your clothes.

Hypothermia

now this is for people who are getting wet..but its a fact to bear in mind..cold can sneak up on ya

Forum List

Back