Winstall.exe - helpp!!

alisaselez

Rookie
Dec 16, 2006
Hi
My computer was infected with a trojan virus today, from a link from someone on msn messenger. I ran AVG Free and the virus went to the vault, which i have deleted and all seems to be running fine now. however, i've had to vault it three times. when I restart, the virus seems to reappear. but my computer is running fine.

but...

there is an icon on my desktop titled winstall.exe which when scanned doesn't contain a virus, but I have just had a quick scan thru some stuff on the internet and get the idea that its a nasty little program that lets other nasty stuff infect my computer I can't delete it, and in fact, am not sure if this is accurate and am a little worried its an important windows file i shouldnt be deleting at all.

I've now installed Avira Antivir as well, as a double up safety precaution, but no spyware detection programs as yet (I'm not even sure if I'm wording that correctly..)

help??
Thanks a lot

Hi
My computer was infected with a trojan virus today, from a link from someone on msn messenger. I ran AVG Free and the virus went to the vault, which i have deleted and all seems to be running fine now. however, i've had to vault it three times. when I restart, the virus seems to reappear. but my computer is running fine.

but...

there is an icon on my desktop titled winstall.exe which when scanned doesn't contain a virus, but I have just had a quick scan thru some stuff on the internet and get the idea that its a nasty little program that lets other nasty stuff infect my computer I can't delete it, and in fact, am not sure if this is accurate and am a little worried its an important windows file i shouldnt be deleting at all.

I've now installed Avira Antivir as well, as a double up safety precaution, but no spyware detection programs as yet (I'm not even sure if I'm wording that correctly..)

help??
Thanks a lot

Haven't heard anything on this particular program, since Winstall is the name of the installation file for many programs. However, if it's not going away, it's probably spyware or a virus. Scan the file specifically, and if it doesn't come up as a virues, get a spyware sweeper and check it again. If that doesn't work, just try to ignore as best you can until you can find a way to get rid of it.

On a side note, I recommend www.helponthe.net for more information. Their forums were designed for just this type of thing, and I've used them in the past.

It's advertising malware that you have been infected with, and it will keep appearing because it needs to be removed from your registry most likely. Just do an internet search on the name of the error that you get, and you will probably be pointed to the proper way to remove it.

It comes back when you restart because it is in the registry. As far as I know avg (avast) the free version, will not fix the registry. That's your target now. The registry.

It comes back when you restart because it is in the registry. As far as I know avg (avast) the free version, will not fix the registry. That's your target now. The registry.

Just my guess but either way a search of the problem will usually get you the fix. Most of the times when they are succesfully removed but reappear after a reboot means it infected the registry. I prefer to do a complete re-installation of windows when something of this nature happens, just better to have a fesh start.

Just my guess but either way a search of the problem will usually get you the fix. Most of the times when they are succesfully removed but reappear after a reboot means it infected the registry. I prefer to do a complete re-installation of windows when something of this nature happens, just better to have a fesh start.

Didn't read your post SE sorry. We're on the same page..cept I wouldn't re-install until I find and try to remove the bug. Re-install on windows is a last resort for me. One reason is, re-install alone doesn't remove bad stuff. I'm I wrong on that? Even a format leaves some stuff on the HD. Right?

Yet............ My mother thought hers was immune tooooooooooooo.

ok. Those smilies DO suck the big one. Yes, that's me on the band wagon, far right. :rolleyes:

I've got innoculation, but so far in over 1 year, it's caught 0. Still paid for the update. ;) I did that religiously with all my pc's, yet they still became swamped.

Didn't read your post SE sorry. We're on the same page..cept I wouldn't re-install until I find and try to remove the bug. Re-install on windows is a last resort for me. One reason is, re-install alone doesn't remove bad stuff. I'm I wrong on that? Even a format leaves some stuff on the HD. Right?

I should of said a re-format instead of install as it was what I meant. Typically reformatting will wipe out all those issues, of course a complete erasing of the cylinder heads will about guarnatee it but who has the time for that wait. I always recommend a fresh install once a year anyway to keep a clean machine but the right software can as easily remedy the problem. I have head of this one but have'nt encountered it to suggest a good program.

Forum List

Back