wine pairing for lobster

one would expect cold water lobster to taste different than crayfish....but i have seen your prawns and crayfish...huge things they are...the best oysters i have had..were from cheaspeake bay area.. huge and flavorful....and i have had oyster from all over...i am a foodie...two things i want to try...abalonie...puffer fish....i would love to try real absinithe...i am sure if i sit and think there are other things....biggest disappointments so far.....truffles the fungus..not the chocolate..hell chocolate cant disappoint...and kobe beef...i will admit it was not kobe steak...so it really should not count...

a lot of people say abalonie is way over rated...tough as nails..if not sliced thin and beaten hard....puffer cause of the "risk death" part...eat dangerously is my motto...
i love snails..i dont care how they are cooked...normally i have them in butter ...i remember the first time i had them in shells....and so do my dining companions...it does seem easy...just dont squeeze ..it was not pretty...

I've had abalone once privately and secondly in a restaurant, no more than twice. Strange because we produce a lot of it and export it to Hong Kong and ...........okay now I get it - I can't afford it :D

But I have had it - twice. Long story and I'll cut it short. An opal buyer from Hong Kong who was semi-resident in an opal town here (as a buyer). His girlfriend from HK was visiting. She made a special dinner - abalone. Delicious, she cooked it perfectly. I had it in a restaurant here many years later. Crap. Tough, rubbery, crappy.

Last edited:
ooooo opals....i forgot..*moving chair closer to you*...you have firey opals in oz....and black opals...and ughs...

why am i up at 5 am..we ask? its pouring down rain...tomorrow is the big day of skiing concert etc...they are calling for this to change to snow (rolling eyes) i have decided to totally freak out...thats the ticket...over all this stuff going on tomorrow...plus i like the quiet of the rain on the tin roof...it drops one degree or so..and it will be freezing rain ...

SERENITY NOW!!!!!

I like the sound of rain on the roof. I have an mp3 of rain falling on a roof I play now and again.

Hopefully I'll hear the real thing during the coming winter. :redface:

Opal. Yes, mined it, sold a bit and hung out with buyers. I love it but some people have that old superstition about it. I prefer crystal opal, it's finer and more translucent but I can see the attraction in black opal. Cultural thing, people in East Asia tended (tend?) to favour greenish opal whereas in Europe and North America they preferred and probably still do, red/reddish opal with a bit of red flame in it.

witches like opal....i know the old sayings about it...and people who are born in october tend to be very protective of it...

btw how much are ughs there?

A Riesling

To sweet.

A white cabernet souvignon might be right

There's always wonderful chablis out there for $15 or so a bottle.

But to be honest, if you're steaming that lobster, a good pilsner probably makes more sense.

Pilsner Urguell is the best in the world (and the oldest, too I think). Its bohemian, but any place that carries a lot of beers will have it.

It's about $12 a sixer.

If you man likes beer, he'll like this.

witches like opal....i know the old sayings about it...and people who are born in october tend to be very protective of it...

Uggs are cheap! I saw some prices in Canada and I was astounded! LIke here is my face - :eek:

And just in case you missed my face looking at the prices here it is again - :eek:

Wow, people eat lobster any other way than dipped in butter? Sacrilege!

btw, Bones, Florida lobster is much better if you can get it.

What?! Those warm water clawless crayfish?

Not even close.

There is, or so I'm informed..I've never had one, a superior lobster to those in New england, though..Panulirus japonicus.

But even in Japan, Maine Lobster are still prized for their taste and texture.

If you've having lobster draw in butter, think about a light dessert.

Last edited:
lets define cheap and do you have paypal...i would love cheap ughs...hell man you should open an ugh dealership...where i work..they sell for..150 to 200 bones....that is wtf prices...aint like yall got shit to do with all them sheep skins..i wonder how much shipping would be?

*hint, hint*

menu is just about set..the lobsters came in....the wine..well still not found...but i havent looked...i took off work early....but came home..be the slug i am...i am going with key lime pie....just too easy..and he loves it...beer...hmmm...beer is harder to get...up scale kinds...i will look for it...

mans birthday soon...i need a wine that would be good with seafood...lobster being the main dish...i dont know squat about wine...i dont drink it...except for icewine..but that is way too sweet...for a main course....i do know that much...so what do you suggest? please bear in mind...i live in the country so it cant be that high toned...but i do have access to pretty good wine shops....thanks...
Ice wine would be a disaster.

I'd go for a Chardonnay...Fess Parker, Cuvaison, or something else from California...french wine would be too heavy. Go to the wine shop and ask for a recommendation, they are usually good at steering you in the right direction.

I'd go chardonnay myself....as well....

Uggs are cheap! I saw some prices in Canada and I was astounded! LIke here is my face - :eek:

And just in case you missed my face looking at the prices here it is again - :eek:

hahahahahahahahaha! coming from the shoe industry, isn't it amazing how things work in retail....? if you have an item or a category of footwear that is HOT, then the price is no limit for many....

This UGG thing started with movie stars and Aspen etc ski resort goers about 10 years ago and it has not slowed down since! They will though....mark my words, what goes up, must come down.....

uggs have had a longer run than most because they are so damn comfortable and warm!!!

lets define cheap and do you have paypal...i would love cheap ughs...hell man you should open an ugh dealership...where i work..they sell for..150 to 200 bones....that is wtf prices...aint like yall got shit to do with all them sheep skins..i wonder how much shipping would be?

*hint, hint*

I had a look at a couple of online stores - a couple of them are obviously priced for the overseas market.

There are a couple of retailers near me, I'll have a look at the weekend. I wouldn't pay more than a hundred of our dollars (exchange rate about 65US cents to the $AUD at the moment) for a really good pair. It's summer here though and they might not be around in big numbers but I'll have a look.

menu is just about set..the lobsters came in....the wine..well still not found...but i havent looked...i took off work early....but came home..be the slug i am...i am going with key lime pie....just too easy..and he loves it...beer...hmmm...beer is harder to get...up scale kinds...i will look for it...
If you go with beer (which I wouldn't, but since he likes it) steam the lobster in it, too.

hahahahahahahahaha! coming from the shoe industry, isn't it amazing how things work in retail....? if you have an item or a category of footwear that is HOT, then the price is no limit for many....

This UGG thing started with movie stars and Aspen etc ski resort goers about 10 years ago and it has not slowed down since! They will though....mark my words, what goes up, must come down.....

uggs have had a longer run than most because they are so damn comfortable and warm!!!

I remember reading something here about how they were popular with certain people. And then the price went up and there was apparently a bit of friction between some US companies and some of ours over rights to the name, design, etc. but let's face it, they're sheepskin boots, they're not complicated. But those prices in North America are ridiculous. But as you say, market driven. Yes they are comfortable and they are warm and they'll still have a place when the fashionistas have passed them by.

mans birthday soon...i need a wine that would be good with seafood...lobster being the main dish...i dont know squat about wine...i dont drink it...except for icewine..but that is way too sweet...for a main course....i do know that much...so what do you suggest? please bear in mind...i live in the country so it cant be that high toned...but i do have access to pretty good wine shops....thanks...

Thunderbird :lol:

okay man is tossing a wrench in plans...seems..he realized i have the day off and wants to spend part of the day with me...does he not realize i am too fucking busy to do that....i am packing him up to take him skiing...it began to snow this morning.....

~happy dance~

ahhhhhh wine shopping is not going well...the elite wine shop doesnt open till 11...the key lime is in the oven....its all on go except for the wine

Forum List

Back