Windows Update issue

I've got a second HD in the Vista PC that's got XP on it. :D

Still can't get my updates to work. If I don't have it going by around Thanksgiving, when I'll have plenty of free time, I'll probably format.
Did you do the KB3153199 patch? If so and it still didn't work you may need to check the fixes here;

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2509997

The 3153199 went through enough to tell me it doesn't apply to my computer. I went through the process of resetting Windows Update components and then tried the 3153199 updater. Since that was able to connect enough to tell me it's not applicable, I'm now running the usual Windows Updates to see if it will work. I'll let it run until tomorrow.

Still checking for updates. Looks like nothing has been fixed.
I have no idea, stumped. :dunno:

The PC is still running, although I've had a couple of instances of it freezing up while playing a Windows-provided game with the little one. I'll leave it for now and format in a few weeks most likely. I just need to transfer all the crap I want to save, I'll have to see if I have the hard drive space. :p
I used to keep everything on my computer (the wife still does). For at least a decade I put everything I want to keep on a thumb drive.

I just had an idea, it may not help at all, or it might....... Do you have CCleaner on your computer?

Did you do the KB3153199 patch? If so and it still didn't work you may need to check the fixes here;

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2509997

The 3153199 went through enough to tell me it doesn't apply to my computer. I went through the process of resetting Windows Update components and then tried the 3153199 updater. Since that was able to connect enough to tell me it's not applicable, I'm now running the usual Windows Updates to see if it will work. I'll let it run until tomorrow.

The PC is still running, although I've had a couple of instances of it freezing up while playing a Windows-provided game with the little one. I'll leave it for now and format in a few weeks most likely. I just need to transfer all the crap I want to save, I'll have to see if I have the hard drive space. :p
I used to keep everything on my computer (the wife still does). For at least a decade I put everything I want to keep on a thumb drive.

I just had an idea, it may not help at all, or it might....... Do you have CCleaner on your computer?

Yeah, I use CCleaner as a file shredder.

Oh, and now the Linux boot on my other PC is screwed, can't get it to load the GI. :(

Oh, and now the Linux boot on my other PC is screwed, can't get it to load the GI. :(
You can use CCleaner to clear cache(s), etc. Run it and see if that fixes your update issues.
As for your Linux issue is it a dual boot? What version? Mint 17?

You can use CCleaner to clear cache(s), etc. Run it and see if that fixes your update issues.

Dual boot, Mint 17. I started getting an x server error on boot up. I've been trying to fix it for the last few hours. I have at least gotten to the point of getting into a recovery mode version, but have not been able to completely fix the issue. I may need to pull files off and reinstall Mint entirely. The Windows boot still works fine.

Hooray for both PCs screwing up at the same time. :mad:

Dual boot, Mint 17. I started getting an x server error on boot up. I've been trying to fix it for the last few hours. I have at least gotten to the point of getting into a recovery mode version, but have not been able to completely fix the issue. I may need to pull files off and reinstall Mint entirely. The Windows boot still works fine.

Open terminal and paste this in; "sudo update-grub" (without the quotes), type in your password when it asks for it then hit enter. May or may not be an easy fix.
If that doesn't work paste; "sudo apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi" (again without the quotes) then run sudo update-grub again.

Open terminal and paste this in; "sudo update-grub" (without the quotes), type in your password when it asks for it then hit enter. May or may not be an easy fix.
If that doesn't work paste; "sudo apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi" (again without the quotes) then run sudo update-grub again.

I got the Linux boot working right again. After a bunch of messing around with the X server stuff, then getting a couple of different nvidia drivers installed, it's starting up fine again. I was close to just installing Mint 18 on top of the 17 install, but now that it's working, I may just stop doing updates until I have a problem. :p

I got the Linux boot working right again. After a bunch of messing around with the X server stuff, then getting a couple of different nvidia drivers installed, it's starting up fine again. I was close to just installing Mint 18 on top of the 17 install, but now that it's working, I may just stop doing updates until I have a problem. :p
I decided to turn on my Kubuntu machine, haven't had it running in six months...... Forgot my password so now I'm installing Ubuntu MATE on it. :lol:

I gave up and reinstalled Vista. I didn't do a full format, I installed over my already existing version. I'm currently installing the first 105 updates. It's going to take forever, but at least it is updating. :p

Now I'll just have to spend the next few days stumbling over programs I forgot I had had installed, or codecs I forgot I need, all of that silly crap.

I gave up and reinstalled Vista. I didn't do a full format, I installed over my already existing version. I'm currently installing the first 105 updates. It's going to take forever, but at least it is updating. :p

Now I'll just have to spend the next few days stumbling over programs I forgot I had had installed, or codecs I forgot I need, all of that silly crap.
Have fun.

Have fun.

Those 105 are done! Now I'm on the next set of 20. I still haven't even gotten to SP2. :lol:

Have fun.

Those 105 are done! Now I'm on the next set of 20. I still haven't even gotten to SP2. :lol:
You're a better man than me, I gave up on Vista the moment I saw it........ :eusa_whistle:

Have fun.

You're a better man than me, I gave up on Vista the moment I saw it........ :eusa_whistle:

It's just another Windows to me. I really don't see much difference between the versions up until 8. :dunno:

Have fun.

It's just another Windows to me. I really don't see much difference between the versions up until 8. :dunno:
Win 7 is what Vista was supposed to be, a lot of the BS you're dealing with in Vista was fixed with Win 7. XP was a great operating system, Win 7 was a great operating system and Win 10 could of been a great operating system but Microsoft decided to go a different route (starting with Win 8). The faster they can port games to Linux the sooner I ditch Windows.

Hah! Now Windows Update is stuck checking for updates again. Oh well, I guess I'm just done with updates for my Vista PC. :)
Dayam!! I just looked up Win 7 Pro, just a few months ago you could buy it brand new for $60, now it's going for around $125 to $140 with SP1........ That tells me demand is high, very high, looks like a lot of people don't want Win 10.
Win 7 Home Premium is back up to $75 + from a low of $20 just a few months ago.......

Hah! Now Windows Update is stuck checking for updates again. Oh well, I guess I'm just done with updates for my Vista PC. :)
Dayam!! I just looked up Win 7 Pro, just a few months ago you could buy it brand new for $60, now it's going for around $125 to $140 with SP1........ That tells me demand is high, very high, looks like a lot of people don't want Win 10.
Win 7 Home Premium is back up to $75 + from a low of $20 just a few months ago.......

I bought my Win 7 for $50 I think, that was.....hrm.....I'm terrible with time, but less than a year ago.

I don't know if my second PC is really worth buying a new OS for. I'd probably be better off just waiting until I put together an entirely new PC.

Forum List

Back