Windows Explorer Won't Recognize G, H, I, J and K Drives

Click <start> - <my computer> - <c: drive>

Then look in the win32 directory. Once there open up WinSock.

Then you get a sledgehammer.

Hope that helps :thup:

C:\Windows\System32

There is no folder in there called WinSock. There is a dll file in there called: winsockhc.dll

Should I delete that?

But, back to reality . . .

Here's one for ya (ConHog): this morning I got up and, just for the heck of it, clicked on Start/Computer. You got it. Drives H,I,J and K are all there, big as life. I did not turn the computer off overnight - I generally leave it on 24/7.

I never turn my computers off

I'm telling you the problem is that they are not mapping every time. Go into network like I showed you last night and go to map nework drive and then in the drop down box choose any of them and make sure that box labeled reconnecct is checkmarked, if it isn't check it, then do it for all the other drives to. if it IS checked you have another problem.

"Go into Network." OK - by that, I assume you mean: Control Panel/Network and Internet/View Network Status and Tasks/View Full Map. Once in there, all I see is a Network Map of our Local Area Connection, i.e., a map of how our two computers connect to the Internet by way of our Wi-Fi setup.

There is no way that I can see to "choose any of them and make sure that box labeled reconnect is checkmarked."

Does it sound to you like I am even in the right portion of the Network and Internet section of the Control Panel?

There is no folder in there called WinSock. There is a dll file in there called: winsockhc.dll

Should I delete that?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't delete system files

Didn't think so. So what did you mean by "get a sledgehammer"? To my way of thinking, that means delete something . . . Was I, by any chance, in the wrong directory?

Should I delete that?

Didn't think so. So what did you mean by "get a sledgehammer"? To my way of thinking, that means delete something . . . Was I, by any chance, in the wrong directory?

No.

Physically get up and go to the garage, get a sledgehammer. Shake it in front of the computer threateningly. Warn it if it does not work correctly, the winsock gets it.

No.

Physically get up and go to the garage, get a sledgehammer. Shake it in front of the computer threateningly. Warn it if it does not work correctly, the winsock gets it.

Ah - you were referring to taking a sledgehammer to the computer, rather than to the winsock file. I see . . . .

How come I don't have a winsock file?

And where the hell is ConHog? I want him to come back on here and give me some UNDERSTANDABLE instructions as to how to navigate the Network section of the Control Panel to check out whether the box is checked or not. So far, bupkis.

No.

Ah - you were referring to taking a sledgehammer to the computer, rather than to the winsock file. I see . . . .

And where the hell is ConHog? I want him to come back on here and give me some UNDERSTANDABLE instructions as to how to navigate the Network section of the Control Panel to check out whether the box is checked or not. So far, bupkis.

usually the washing machine eats them.

No.

usually the washing machine eats them.

Or the drier

Okay George.

First off, are you right now seeing the drives in your my computer file? if so great, if not reboot so you do.

You do great. Now go to control panel then to networking. are you there? great now see where it say file eidt, blah blah blah, there is a button labeled map to network drive. click that

Now go to the drop down box labeled drive and click on H. It should fill in the box labeled path wit a bunch of stuff, don't worry about that

Right below ThAT box is a radio button labeled reconnect at login, make sure that box is checked. if it is not then check it then go back up and repeat for each drive. if it is checked then you have further issues. But nothing that can't be fixed.

Okay George.

First off, are you right now seeing the drives in your my computer file? if so great, if not reboot so you do.

You do great. Now go to control panel then to networking. are you there? great now see where it say file eidt, blah blah blah, there is a button labeled map to network drive. click that

Now go to the drop down box labeled drive and click on H. It should fill in the box labeled path wit a bunch of stuff, don't worry about that

Right below ThAT box is a radio button labeled reconnect at login, make sure that box is checked. if it is not then check it then go back up and repeat for each drive. if it is checked then you have further issues. But nothing that can't be fixed.

I can see the drives (H, I, J and K) on My Computer. I go into Networking in the Control Panel. I go to View Network Status and Tasks. I go to the Menu and select Tools and, from the drop down menu, select Map Network Drive.

I then see a window that says: "What network folder would you like to map?" Just below that is a drop down field that allows me to view a number of various drive letters. I can select one. When I click on the drop down arrow, I see drives lettered A, B, G, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z. It does not include any drive letters for H, I, J or K drives.

The default drive in the window is Z. The reconnect at logon box is checked for Z as well as for all of the other letters if I select them.

That's it. What now?

I've personally discovered a solution to any problem Windows might present.

A different operating system.

Forum List

Back