Windows 8

I'm desperately clinging onto my XP for as long as I can!!!
If your XP system dies, or if you are affected by obsolescence, Windows 7 is not much different and it has a few nice new features and some improvements over XP.

But unfortunately a LOT of your favorite computer games coded for XP will not work on Windows 7. I've found Rise of Nations, for instance, will not work on Windows 7 but it will work on Windows 8.

Still hate Windows 8 though.

But unfortunately a LOT of your favorite computer games coded for XP will not work on Windows 7. I've found Rise of Nations, for instance, will not work on Windows 7 but it will work on Windows 8.

??

Rise of Nations works fine on Windows 7.

The only issue is lack of support for 16X9 displays. It ends up looking distorted, unless you run it in a window.

Fox, if you have trouble getting games to run on Windows 7, send me a PM and I'll help you get them going.

I bought a new PC during the Black Friday sales--or rather Hubby got it for me during the Black Friday sales last November and gave it to me for Christmas. Yeah he did the crack of dawn thing on Friday morning to snag on of a dozen or so HP computers being offered at under $300 - super fast processor, a gig of RAM, a terabyte of hard drive space - all in a fairly small sleek package. Sweet little machine and I love using my 24" monitor with it while not having to go through all the rigoramoo (sp) of hooking up my laptop to it.

But I love have almost unlimited space, plenty of power, and ease and affordability of repairs. I still use my laptop when watching TV, when traveling, or otherwise when I am away from the PC, but I much prefer working with the PC over the laptop.

The only downside is the PC has Windows 8. We are sort of getting along but I still hate Windows 8.

I think the trend for Microsoft operating systems is to skip every other one and you will be fine. Windows 7 was good. Windows Vista was a dud. Windows XP was good. Windows ME was a dud. Windows 98 was fine....

Obviously Windows 8 has got to be a dud.

??

Rise of Nations works fine on Windows 7.

The only issue is lack of support for 16X9 displays. It ends up looking distorted, unless you run it in a window.

Fox, if you have trouble getting games to run on Windows 7, send me a PM and I'll help you get them going.

Really? I would love to have it on my laptop with Windows 7, but it only partially loads. It runs, but not with full capability. And after reading up, the consensus was that Windows 7 did not support Rise of Nations. On Windows 8 it does fine.

My family bought me a new laptop for Christmas with Windows 8 on it.

Honestly I don't like the operating system at all. I think what they were going for was to make it more like a Smart Phone than a traditional computer, but seriously, it's just kind of awful.

Almost three months later: I don't like it either.

Really? I would love to have it on my laptop with Windows 7, but it only partially loads. It runs, but not with full capability. And after reading up, the consensus was that Windows 7 did not support Rise of Nations. On Windows 8 it does fine.

Some of this is generic,

Turn off the Windows Firewall. Set UAC to "Never Prompt."

To install the game, right click on Setup and "run as administrator." Do this, even if you are set as a local admin. This is generally the biggest issue, getting a good install.

Once the game is installed, right click on the launch icon and choose, "properties." Click the button "Open File Location." Navigate to RON.EXE (with the same Icon as the shortcut) and right click. Choose properties and then the "compatibility" tab. In the drop down select run in compatibility for "Windows XP SP1"

Apply and close all dialogue boxes.

RON will now run.

I've tried fixes for the widescreen display issue, and have found none that work. :( So I run it in a window at 1280X 1024

I think the trend for Microsoft operating systems is to skip every other one and you will be fine. Windows 7 was good. Windows Vista was a dud. Windows XP was good. Windows ME was a dud. Windows 98 was fine....

I agree.

I've skipped ME and Vista. I went from 98/SE to XP to 7.

I bought a new PC during the Black Friday sales--or rather Hubby got it for me during the Black Friday sales last November and gave it to me for Christmas. Yeah he did the crack of dawn thing on Friday morning to snag on of a dozen or so HP computers being offered at under $300 - super fast processor, a gig of RAM, a terabyte of hard drive space - all in a fairly small sleek package. Sweet little machine and I love using my 24" monitor with it while not having to go through all the rigoramoo (sp) of hooking up my laptop to it.

But I love have almost unlimited space, plenty of power, and ease and affordability of repairs. I still use my laptop when watching TV, when traveling, or otherwise when I am away from the PC, but I much prefer working with the PC over the laptop.

The only downside is the PC has Windows 8. We are sort of getting along but I still hate Windows 8.

This is by design.
When you have such a vast marketshare where you basically have a captured market - why send out a large beta version, when you can sell it to a few million early buyers and let them do the testing on their dime...then fix the problems and sell the real OS.

Forum List

Back