Windows 7

Phoenix

fideli certa merces
Apr 10, 2009
out of the ashes
Ok, so my computer (very basic) is running Vista. And when I say running, I actually mean more limping along - maybe jogging on a good day. :doubt:

It has slowed down considerably and when talking my IT guy, he suggested I either A) re-install the original operating system or B) try Windows 7, which he says is like Vista but uses less resources.

He even got me a Beta copy of Windows 7 to try until the retail version comes out. I may attempt to install it this weekend.

Any helpful hints, suggestions, etc.? Has anyone tried 7 that has used Vista as well?

Last edited:
Ok, so my computer (very basic) is running Vista. And when I say running, I actually mean more limping along - maybe jogging on a good day. :doubt:

It has slowed down considerably and when talking my IT guy, he suggested I either A) re-install the original operating system or B) try Windows 7, which he says is like Vista but uses less resources.

He even got me a Beta copy of Windows 7 to try until the retail version comes out. I may attempt to install it this weekend.

Any helpful hints, suggestions, etc.? Has anyone tried 7 that has used Vista as well?

A couple of things, first do you have the opaque settings on for your desktop(you can see through the windows)? If so go to personal preferences and unselect it, it's a massive memory hog. Next go to CNet (type CNet downloads in your brouser), look for Glary Utilities and Smart Defrag select and download for free. Run Glay first then run Smart Defrag.
If you've never defragged your hard drive this can take a while. When doing the defrag you might want to do it before you go to bed, disconnect from the internet, disable any anti-virus software and screensaver program. Start up the defrag, power off your monitor and go to bed.

Last edited:

I've tried Windoze 7, not impressed at all. It still uses more resources than all the Linux distros. With Windoze you pay a fortune for nothing more than another OS ... and one that isn't as up to the minute as Linux or MacOS. If you are completely computer illiterate though I recommend sticking with Windoze, if you have some experience and an average learning curve go with Ubuntu, free and easy but no phone up tech support (you have to search the web or get into the "circles"). If you have a steep learning curve experiment with different Linuxes until you find your flavor. All Linux distros I believe have live CDs so you can test them before installing them. Ubuntu can even run "inside" Windoze (never tried that way before), and they're all free. If you have a CD burner just download the ISO and burn them, if you don't you can order an Ubuntu CD for free (no shipping even), takes about 2 weeks on the west coast.

A couple of things, first do you have the opaque settings on for your desktop(you can see through the windows)? If so go to personal preferences and unselect it, it's a massive memory hog. Next go to CNet (type CNet downloads in your brouser), look for Glary Utilities and Smart Defrag select and download for free. Run Glay first then run Smart Defrag.
If you've never defragged you hard drive this can take a while. When doing the defrag you might want to do it before you go to bed, disconnect from the internet, disable any anti-virus sofetware and screensave program. Start up the defrag, power off your monitor and go to bed.

I never got that, translucency in monitors has been built in for so long and they can do it with just a few bits set, why hasn't MS come up with a decent graphics server like XServer?

If you must run Windoze, go to Ebay and buy a copy of XP.

UBUNTU ZOMBIES! RUN!

zombies.jpg

Meanwhile, when you are enjoying your Windows 7 these little hipster wannabes will still be having to download the latest, lamest linux distro after all that work FINALLY getting their wifi to work. Enjoy Windows; Clearly the SUPERIOR OS option.

I have Windows 7 installed on a test box and it works great. It's what Vista should have been. If you want to try the RC version of Windows 7, try it at your own risk. You might consider upgrading the RAM on your basic computer and continue running Vista until the retail version of Windows 7 comes out. That might be the better choice since RAM is relatively cheap. Vista needs at least 2-3 GB of RAM. My current production box has 8 GB of RAM so it's not a problem, but I'll be upgrading to 7 when it comes out.

Meanwhile, when you are enjoying your Windows 7 these little hipster wannabes will still be having to download the latest, lamest linux distro after all that work FINALLY getting their wifi to work. Enjoy Windows; Clearly the SUPERIOR OS option.
I never had any such problems at all. And the updates are not at all different from the hundreds of windows patches you see, except they are quite a bit more seldom. In fact, rather rare.

But yes, those who are ham-handed and computer illiterate should probably stick with the nanny state and not venture into the world of 21st Century computing that MS is still trying to catch up with.

yea... trying to catch up to... millions of MS users sure are trying to catch up to that fraction of a percent of ubuntu users..

Enjoy combing messageboard forums begging for wifi drivers, holmes. The rest of us will go ahead and enjoy the internet while you tinker and fiddle with unsupported drivers and moaning like a zombie until the latest, lamest distro comes around.

:thup:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJEySrDerj0[/ame]

yea... trying to catch up to... millions of MS users sure are trying to catch up to that fraction of a percent of ubuntu users..
The users aren't trying to catch up. They're mostly clueless minions of the MS nanny state. MICROSOFT is playing catch-up. The minions are simply funding it and having to live with junk.

Thanks to everybody for suggestions, information and help. I really appreciate it. :D

Haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do yet but need to do something very soon, as there are times my computer freezes up just trying to go through the music threads here - without having any other windows or tabs up.

Forum List

Back