Windows 7 Almost Ready

I'm looking to buy a new PC soon, and I won't settle for anything less than 4 gigs. But I'll also be getting two high powered graphics cards, because I plan to run games like Crysis at optimum performance. So, 4 gigs in pretty much necessary.

4 gig i s small computr disk.

Just got a new computer a couple weeks ago and I'm using Vista for the first time.

So far, no complaints. What's the beef with it?

i use vista befojr and this make dator freeze.i dont think vista is better for xp and make the computer
run slow.many gamns like NHL and starcraeft dont run with vista.

Last edited:
"Vista is a bit of a resource hog, but I've been using it since launch on a couple computers and it works just fine. Most people who complain about it have never used it, in my experience"

I have had a vista machine for a few months now, running 3 gigs of ram. The OS has a nice "feel" to it, biggest problem is that it won't run some of my older games. My XP machine still gets the most use though.

Nada. I love it, because I know the requirements to run it. Most of the complaints I hear are about how slow it runs, and most of those complaints are from people trying to run it on the same system they first installed XP on 8 years ago.

There's not much more functionality to it than XP (which is the complaint most gurus have), but it's a better looking OS. Hell, I felt the same way about Windows 98 to Windows XP, there wasn't much difference.

I look at Vista as more of a patch to XP than an upgrade from it. Windows 7 will be the major upgrade, adding a lot more features and completely overhauling the system. I almost want to wait for it to launch before I get a new PC, but I want a new PC sometime this decade.

How impressive, over 5 years to release and it's nothing but a crude attempt to copy OSX, I'm sure Windows 7 will be a market changer when it comes out in the middle of the next decade.:lol::lol::lol:

"Vista is a bit of a resource hog, but I've been using it since launch on a couple computers and it works just fine. Most people who complain about it have never used it, in my experience"

I have had a vista machine for a few months now, running 3 gigs of ram. The OS has a nice "feel" to it, biggest problem is that it won't run some of my older games. My XP machine still gets the most use though.

Which is the actual biggest complaint of developers, Vista is closing their code. The API they are releasing for it is so limited that unless you are willing to pay several thousand dollars for the advanced API you won't be writing much software in native code, goodbye all the freeware. Also they are decreasing compatibility with each new release, which is the reason why Mac took so long to finally compete with Windoze. Mac has recently released most of their API code, allowing programmers more access to the OS and increasing the amount of software available. Bottom line, if there are more programs available for an OS it will attract more users.

XP has a hard time running old DOS programs at all, and many old skool gamers still love a lot of them (there are several websites that offer them for free downloads when they can get the license or link to a place to buy them when they can't). Vista made it even worse, unless you are a programmer or know DosBox well enough you won't be able to play anything pre-XP. Windoze 7 will likely make it even worse phasing out the XP API as well.

Which is the actual biggest complaint of developers, Vista is closing their code. The API they are releasing for it is so limited that unless you are willing to pay several thousand dollars for the advanced API you won't be writing much software in native code, goodbye all the freeware. Also they are decreasing compatibility with each new release, which is the reason why Mac took so long to finally compete with Windoze. Mac has recently released most of their API code, allowing programmers more access to the OS and increasing the amount of software available. Bottom line, if there are more programs available for an OS it will attract more users.

XP has a hard time running old DOS programs at all, and many old skool gamers still love a lot of them (there are several websites that offer them for free downloads when they can get the license or link to a place to buy them when they can't). Vista made it even worse, unless you are a programmer or know DosBox well enough you won't be able to play anything pre-XP. Windoze 7 will likely make it even worse phasing out the XP API as well.

I do some programming at my work, we're still on XP machines - some of my apps started acting very quirky after SP3 upgrade...........

I do some programming at my work, we're still on XP machines - some of my apps started acting very quirky after SP3 upgrade...........

SP3 ... brings a shudder to my spine. That pack was the worst, it messed up a lot of peoples code. Actually though for user end terminals Windoze is still the most common, I was talking about all the servers. Almost ever server online is Unix/Linux (you can usually tell by how much it costs to rent space on them) and most office servers are the same, you just don't notice unless you work on the server itself.

Just installed the Windows 7 Beta, and I have to say: WOW! Much better than what I was expecting, even on this outdated machine. I'm buying a new PC with my tax return, so I'll let you know how it runs on a higher performance machine.

Just installed the Windows 7 Beta, and I have to say: WOW! Much better than what I was expecting, even on this outdated machine. I'm buying a new PC with my tax return, so I'll let you know how it runs on a higher performance machine.
what do you have on this machine?
what CPU, how much ram, etc.

Currently Pentium D 3.0 GHz, 2.5 GB RAM, and a very subpar video card. But the OS is running fine.

I'm upgrading to:

Pentium Core 2 Quad 2.86 GHz, 4 GB RAM, and a very top of the line dual video card setup.

Currently Pentium D 3.0 GHz, 2.5 GB RAM, and a very subpar video card. But the OS is running fine.

I'm upgrading to:

Pentium Core 2 Quad 2.86 GHz, 4 GB RAM, and a very top of the line dual video card setup.
you should go to AMD
the data pipeline is twice the size of the Intel
which means if the CPU was half the speed, it will still process data faster

nVidia and EVGA (my preferred graphics cards) work better with Intel motherboards. I've used AMD, it's great. The difference isn't that noticeable to me. I've had Intel in every computer I've owned, and I haven't had any real complaints. No reason to switch out now.

nVidia and EVGA (my preferred graphics cards) work better with Intel motherboards. I've used AMD, it's great. The difference isn't that noticeable to me. I've had Intel in every computer I've owned, and I haven't had any real complaints. No reason to switch out now.
meh, go to an ATI graphics card
AMD bought ATI :D

ATI is epic fail compared to nVidia.

Well, the new ATI's coming out aren't that bad, but way more expensive than the equivalent nVidia cards.
you gotta be kidding
LOL
the ATI Radeon cards have been the top of the line for YEARS
thats why they cost more
because people are willing to pay more for them

you gotta be kidding
LOL
the ATI Radeon cards have been the top of the line for YEARS
thats why they cost more
because people are willing to pay more for them

You won't find many extreme gamers who prefer ATI Radeon over nVidia GeForce. The GTX is the hottest card on the market right now.

Forum List

Back