Windows 10 universal apps and drivers

The XP mode (I don´t mean the standard compatibility modes) was made for old software not compatible with Windows 7. It is VM that is "invisible" and you can use the software exactly how you use compatible software.
You are one thick individual.

A. The software makers say it won't work, there's a hardware authentication device to make my $4,500 dollar program run. I believe them more than an anonymous guy on the internet that's shown numerous times he doesn't know what he's talking about.

B. I have no need to buy and install yet another Microsoft operating system. I leave that computer as is with 3 Linux distros on it. This one has no Microsoft anything on it. No hardware. No software. Nothing.

C. I don't need your approval. It's obvious you have an invested interest in helping people make Microsoft products work, like thousands (or millions?) of others. If Linux hurts your pocketbook, tough shit.

My customization served my needs. As you can see, choosing Linux in the Win8 bootloader will reboot the PC and open Linux´s bootloader.
Sounds like a Microsoft solution. The Linux boot loader is grub. Grub allows you to set the default OS so you could more easily set Windows to load instead of Linux. It simply passes it off to the Windows boot loader without loading any of the Linux kernel. It's part of a Linux install so you're adding needless complexity.

A. The software makers say it won't work, there's a hardware authentication device to make my $4,500 dollar program run. I believe them more than an anonymous guy on the internet that's shown numerous times he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Instead of trying it out for free, you prefer to insult those who try to help you. Know something? Take your 4500 Billion dollar program and stick to XP until Armageddon in my behalf.

B. I have no need to buy and install yet another Microsoft operating system. I leave that computer as is with 3 Linux distros on it. This one has no Microsoft anything on it. No hardware. No software. Nothing.
Don´t you fear Bill Gates could send some rowdies to your home that would overwatch your operating system change?

C. I don't need your approval. It's obvious you have an invested interest in helping people make Microsoft products work, like thousands (or millions?) of others. If Linux hurts your pocketbook, tough shit.
Mocking other´s helpfulness seems to be your strength...
I have no Windows pocketbook, by the way, but know some issues from websites, forums or my own experience. And there is no need for a Linux pocketbook, cause what most Linux users do is opening Firefox and surf on sites they aren´t interested in just because they are using Linux, feel different, superior with their Noobuntu and can bash Microsoft without "compunction".
I can open Firefox without rebooting to another OS. Isn´t that GREAT? Of course, at any time, I could boot Linux from USB and use a Linux based Firefox, though.

Last edited:
My customization served my needs. As you can see, choosing Linux in the Win8 bootloader will reboot the PC and open Linux´s bootloader.
Sounds like a Microsoft solution. The Linux boot loader is grub. Grub allows you to set the default OS so you could more easily set Windows to load instead of Linux. It simply passes it off to the Windows boot loader without loading any of the Linux kernel. It's part of a Linux install so you're adding needless complexity.
What if I like Windows 8´s bootloader that supports mouse and don´t want the Linux bootloader? And why is it more complex to use Windows´ bootloader, instead?

The XP mode (I don´t mean the standard compatibility modes) was made for old software not compatible with Windows 7. It is VM that is "invisible" and you can use the software exactly how you use compatible software.

I call bullshit.

I have yet to find any software that will not run in virtual XP mode - it IS Windows XP!

I have had to add serial ports to machines, I've had to reassign com ports to different addresses, but neither of these have anything to do with the operating system. If your dongle is not reading, check the address of the parallel port it is on, that will be the issue.

Creating a Windows dual boot system is as easy as drinking a bottle of beer. As for your old program, surely a current version or at least an alternative is available.

It may be easy if you have just re-formatted your hard drive, and you're starting fresh. Are you saying that it is possible to set up dual boot after you have already installed Windows 8 or 8.1? If so, I'd like to know because I am always open to new and innovative ideas.

You can easily set up duel boot. You need a clean partition on a hard drive large enough to hold the new OS. I installed Ubuntu on the machine I am on now, after Windows 7 was installed. The process is the same for Windows 8. Most Linux distro's make it very easy by identifying a clean partition for you, and offering to install their, automatically integrating into the Windows boot manager.

Be aware of something I recently discovered, with boot manager you lose the ability to clone hard drives, if the OS and the boot manager are on different physical drives. This bit me recently.

Waiting for the final release, but so far from a lot of the reviews I have read, it seems to just being copying a few things already on Mac - with just with a few flashy gimmicks.

What I like about Windows 10, is that a windows user will be able to have a windows phone and windows computer that are essentially compatible with each other and say goodbye to Apple products.

I call bullshit.

I have yet to find any software that will not run in virtual XP mode - it IS Windows XP!

I have had to add serial ports to machines, I've had to reassign com ports to different addresses, but neither of these have anything to do with the operating system. If your dongle is not reading, check the address of the parallel port it is on, that will be the issue.
You can call it anything you want but that's what they told me. It won't run in virtual mode. Maybe it's the printer port in virtual mode? I have added two serial ports, it's how the plotter is fed but explain why I would buy another operating system so I can run the one I have now, even it it could be made to work?

can call it anything you want but that's what they told me. It won't run in virtual mode. I have added two serial ports, it's how the plotter is fed but explain why I would buy another operating system so I can run the one I have now, even it it could be made to work?

You haven't tested it? Most vendors are ignorant, the ones still using dongles are the most ignorant. I'm running older MasterCAM dongles with no issue, I have 7 Gerber tables with dongles that run fine, an ancient Okuma 5 axis mill with a parallel dongle, counting scales with dongles, etc. Most modern software has switcher to USB, but for the really old stuff, Virtual XP works flawlessly. Just watch the power settings, Windows 7/8 will not detect activity in the VM and will power down at the most inopportune time

can call it anything you want but that's what they told me. It won't run in virtual mode. I have added two serial ports, it's how the plotter is fed but explain why I would buy another operating system so I can run the one I have now, even it it could be made to work?
You haven't tested it? Most vendors are ignorant, the ones still using dongles are the most ignorant. I'm running older MasterCAM dongles with no issue, I have 7 Gerber tables with dongles that run fine, an ancient Okuma 5 axis mill with a parallel dongle, counting scales with dongles, etc. Most modern software has switcher to USB, but for the really old stuff, Virtual XP works flawlessly. Just watch the power settings, Windows 7/8 will not detect activity in the VM and will power down at the most inopportune time
I haven't tested what? I've been a Microsoft beta tester and spent the day in Redmond with my Memphis machine. (W95 I think)

I got a copy of the final release for my troubles (whoopee) but had to replace two peripherals, a scanner and something. Yes, the dongle plugs into the printer port, the program won't run without reading it.

I have zero interest in upgrading the dongle, program or operating system. What would I gain? I bought a i7 machine and do everything with Linux, just use the other for vinyl cutting if I need to.

Forum List

Back