Windows 10 is

I think the most elegant way is "startisback" that does not only replace the MS sandwich board with a proper start menu but also offers to prevent Cortana from being loaded at all.
the "free version" you linked for me a while back didn't work so I would have to buy it. Unfortunately I can find nothing that backs up your claim Cortana is prevented from loading.
I still wonder why it doesn´t work for you. I only offer what worked fine for me. As for preventing Cortana, you must check the respective box. I do have two fixed sib versions for Windows 10: The second release candidate and v1.1.0.
Check your Task Manager Processes, bet you'll see Cortana still running in the background collecting data.
I am not using Windows 10. I just checked it out. But sib is a really good piece of software, not like the other alternatives and when they say it disables the Cortana processes, then it does.

I think the most elegant way is "startisback" that does not only replace the MS sandwich board with a proper start menu but also offers to prevent Cortana from being loaded at all.
the "free version" you linked for me a while back didn't work so I would have to buy it. Unfortunately I can find nothing that backs up your claim Cortana is prevented from loading.
I still wonder why it doesn´t work for you. I only offer what worked fine for me. As for preventing Cortana, you must check the respective box. I do have two fixed sib versions for Windows 10: The second release candidate and v1.1.0.
Check your Task Manager Processes, bet you'll see Cortana still running in the background collecting data.
I am not using Windows 10. I just checked it out. But sib is a really good piece of software, not like the other alternatives and when they say it disables the Cortana processes, then it does.
I doubt it does disable Cortana as I can find nothing about it actually being able to do that. What it does do is the same thing Classic Start and others do is replace Cortana's search bar with it's own but does not disable Cortana, that's a separate process.

I doubt it does disable Cortana as I can find nothing about it actually being able to do that. What it does do is the same thing Classic Start and others do is replace Cortana's search bar with it's own but does not disable Cortana, that's a separate process.

You have to kill Cortana with fire! Edge, too. What I did was boot from a Linux disk then delete the *.exe. In Windows OS, 7 won't let you

delete, and in-use Cortana restarts itself.

How can you know when it doesn´t work anyway?

You have to kill Cortana with fire! Edge, too. What I did was boot from a Linux disk then delete the *.exe. In Windows OS, 7 won't let you

delete, and in-use Cortana restarts itself.
Cortana is non functioning using my method, as for Edge it doesn't run in the background like Cortana does so all you have to do is shut Edge off.

You do know what Task Manager does, right?

When sib is not working for you for some reason, the Cortana disabling feature won´t work as well.

When sib is not working for you for some reason, the Cortana disabling feature won´t work as well.
You're missing the point. Show me where and how sib disables Cortana, I'm betting you can't.

You're missing the point. Show me where and how sib disables Cortana, I'm betting you can't.
You can configure sib so that its settings will open if you open the Windows button´s context menu and choose properties. If you didn´t, you can find the settings in the sib folder:

gdpl7m9k.jpg

Given that I am running Windows 8.1 (startisback+), there are no Cortana options. But with Windows 10 (startisback++) you will find it among the many customization options. sib disables Cortana by not allowing its processes to run in the first place.

Last edited:
You can configure sib so that its settings will open if you open the Windows button´s context menu and choose properties. If you didn´t, you can find the settings in the sib folder:

gdpl7m9k.jpg

Given that I am running Windows 8.1 (startisback+), there are no Cortana options. But with Windows 10 (startisback++) you will find it among the many customization options. sib disables Cortana by not allowing its processes to run in the first place.
You have yet to prove that. :dunno:

Oh and I can't read German........... :eusa_whistle:

gdpl7m9k.jpg

No, I don´t have to prove it. But if you like grant me remote access to your computer and I´ll prove it :D

Whether German or English, the path to sib is the same:

4c8ono9s.jpg

gdpl7m9k.jpg

No, I don´t have to prove it. But if you like grant me remote access to your computer and I´ll prove it :D

4c8ono9s.jpg
Yes, you do have to prove it or risk being seen as simply opinionated. As for English/German I'm not going to install SIB simply to satisfy your laziness.

gdpl7m9k.jpg

4c8ono9s.jpg
Yes, you do have to prove it or risk being seen as simply opinionated. As for English/German I'm not going to install SIB simply to satisfy your laziness.
I am not a shill. Take the benefit or bash it.

gdpl7m9k.jpg

4c8ono9s.jpg
It's simple, prove it or not. As for bashing it I'm not, simply asking you to prove your claim for the benefit of all the other readers as I'm already happy with what I've done. If you can't or won't prove it then why should anyone take you at your word? :dunno:

gdpl7m9k.jpg

4c8ono9s.jpg
It's simple, prove it or not. As for bashing it I'm not, simply asking you to prove your claim for the benefit of all the other readers as I'm already happy with what I've done. If you can't or won't prove it then why should anyone take you at your word? :dunno:
If we discuss in an environment in which everything said is assumingly wrong and has to be proven, then there is no sense at all in discussion. Maybe, other users don´t want to rename processes but simply want to check a box and have a proper start menu. I cannot prove anything about Cortana. I used Enterprise LTSB which neither had Edge nor Cortana. However, here is the original source, the developer is the one with the name of Tihiy:
StartIsBack+

4c8ono9s.jpg
If we discuss in an environment in which everything said is assumingly wrong and has to be proven, then there is no sense at all in discussion. Maybe, other users don´t want to rename processes but simply want to check a box and have a proper start menu. I cannot prove anything about Cortana. I used Enterprise LTSB which neither had Edge nor Cortana. However, here is the original source, the developer is the one with the name of Tihiy:
StartIsBack+
Still missing the point, you made a specific claim about something you obviously know nothing about and that in itself requires proof, proof that doesn't fit you nebulous "wrong assumptions" excuse but proof that should be readily available inline.
As for your linked blog....... I'm not going to read through the whole thing to find "your" proof, that's a deflection on your part, you waste your time not mine or stop making unverifiable claims. It really is that simple.

4c8ono9s.jpg
StartIsBack+
Still missing the point, you made a specific claim about something you obviously know nothing about and that in itself requires proof, proof that doesn't fit you nebulous "wrong assumptions" excuse but proof that should be readily available inline.
As for your linked blog....... I'm not going to read through the whole thing to find "your" proof, that's a deflection on your part, you waste your time not mine or stop making unverifiable claims. It really is that simple.
Don´t pretend to be that stupid.

"- Ability to reduce resource usage by disabling newer Start menu and Cortana processes from prelaunching"

StartIsBack++ 2.0

StartIsBack+

"- Ability to reduce resource usage by disabling newer Start menu and Cortana processes from prelaunching"

StartIsBack++ 2.0
That's interesting and kinda - sorta all I was asking for the whole time as I could not find it anywhere but a blog? Let's put it in perspective, Cortana is hated by many PC knowledgeable people, nothing on the SIB page makes that claim, a claim that given the hatred for Cortana would be plastered on SIB's page in bold letters and plastered all over the internet by independent imags. Why only in one blog but not anywhere else? See my point now?

StartIsBack+

StartIsBack++ 2.0
That's interesting and kinda - sorta all I was asking for the whole time as I could not find it anywhere but a blog? Let's put it in perspective, Cortana is hated by many PC knowledgeable people, nothing on the SIB page makes that claim, a claim that given the hatred for Cortana would be plastered on SIB's page in bold letters and plastered all over the internet by independent imags. Why only in one blog but not anywhere else? See my point now?
The tool is a one man project. It reaches more people on the forum than on a webpage especially made for sib. Most of the established download pages offer it, anyway.

New Topics

Forum List

Back