Wind Turbines Kill More Birds Than BP Oil Spill

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Oh Matthew. what say you?

SNIP:
It’s been five years since BP’s Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded and released 5 million barrels of crude oil into the Gulf of Mexico.

Environmentalists are highlighting the disaster by pointing to the 800,000 birds that have died because of the spill in the five years since the disaster, but activists have been eerily silent about the fact that way more birds have been killed by wind turbines — a supposedly “eco-friendly” energy source.

The liberal blog Mother Jones reports that 800,000 birds have been killed and the Pelican population in the Gulf has decreased 12 percent. While the 2010 Gulf spill was indeed a horrible disaster, the number of birds that died pales in comparison the number killed in the last five years due to wind turbines.

A 2013 study found that 573,000 birds and 888,000 bats are killed every year by wind turbines — a figure 30 percent higher than the federal government estimated in 2009. These deaths have likely increased as wind power capacity increases across the country.

“I estimated 888,000 bat and 573,000 bird fatalities/year (including 83,000 raptor fatalities) at 51,630 megawatt (MW) of installed wind-energy capacity in the United States in 2012,” writes K. Shawn Smallwood, author of the study that was published in the Wildlife Society Bulletin.

all of it here:
Wind Turbines Kill More Birds Than BP Oil Spill The Daily Caller

'The White Lady' was a book I read when I was young. It is about an albino bat a man found and nursed back to health. As a game, it would fly through the turning blade of his electric fan at 600rpm, but would not try at 900.
It is impossible to accept this estimate for bat deaths by slow-turning aeolians.

That paper took the number of dead birds and bats in one location and extrapolated it across the country, ignoring the fact that bird and bat populations vary widely across the continent, and that many wind farms are intentionally located in areas with relatively low bird and bat populations,. So it could be as high as 800,000 or as low as 60,000.

(aside)...Thanks, Stefanie. I used to live in Liberty....
....Maine.

Three reasons why I support wind...
1. It is a infite resource! I love living in civilization and the finite sources like coal aren't going to be around forever.
2. Cars, planes, buildings kill a hell of a lot more!
3. Coal, oil and natural gas causes cancer. Wind doesn't...I care about human health! ;)

1. It is a infite resource! I love living in civilization and the finite sources like coal aren't going to be around forever.
3. Coal, oil and natural gas causes cancer. Wind doesn't...I care about human health! ;)

and all them dead birds?

The best reason for renewable energy sources is aesthetics. Smoke stacks, exhaust pipes, electric generating plants and extension cords running from them, coal mines, etc., are all ugly. Humankind's contribution to the universe is intelligent creativity, and creating beauty is the highest expression of that.

SNIP:
It’s been five years since BP’s Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded and released 5 million barrels of crude oil into the Gulf of Mexico.

Environmentalists are highlighting the disaster by pointing to the 800,000 birds that have died because of the spill in the five years since the disaster, but activists have been eerily silent about the fact that way more birds have been killed by wind turbines — a supposedly “eco-friendly” energy source.

The liberal blog Mother Jones reports that 800,000 birds have been killed and the Pelican population in the Gulf has decreased 12 percent. While the 2010 Gulf spill was indeed a horrible disaster, the number of birds that died pales in comparison the number killed in the last five years due to wind turbines.

A 2013 study found that 573,000 birds and 888,000 bats are killed every year by wind turbines — a figure 30 percent higher than the federal government estimated in 2009. These deaths have likely increased as wind power capacity increases across the country.

“I estimated 888,000 bat and 573,000 bird fatalities/year (including 83,000 raptor fatalities) at 51,630 megawatt (MW) of installed wind-energy capacity in the United States in 2012,” writes K. Shawn Smallwood, author of the study that was published in the Wildlife Society Bulletin.

all of it here:

And hundreds of thousands of birds are killed by cars and trucks every year, cars and trucks fueled by fossil fuel, but you don't bitch about that, now do you?

So, you want to compare a total from a one time event to another total spanning another year? Well, that's stupid, like an apples to condoms comparison, but ok, let's extrapolate that out:

assuming that the spill took 5 days, that most of the damage that was done in 5 days, then 365 / 5 = 73

800,000 * 73 = 58,400,000.

So, had the spill gone on as long as the statistics for birds flying into wind-turbines (1 year), that would be between 58 and 59 MILLION birds killed by the oil spill. Now you have statistics on a EVEN PLAYING FIELD.

See how that works, Cleeta?

Jesus, you really are that stupid, now aren't you....

:D

and all them dead birds?

Stephanie, tens of millions of birds are killed each year by power lines. Where is your outrage over that?

Report Millions of birds killed by power lines - World news - World environment NBC News

Wind turbines do not kill off plant life that sustains the habitats for birds and keeps islands from disintegrating due to the trees being killed off...like the oil spill in the gulf did.....

SNIP:

all of it here:

Does this mean Republicans will apologize to BP again?

Cats kill more birds than the BP oil spill

So until we get control of cats, BP should be allowed to dump as much oil as they wish

The best reason for renewable energy sources is aesthetics. Smoke stacks, exhaust pipes, electric generating plants and extension cords running from them, coal mines, etc., are all ugly. Humankind's contribution to the universe is intelligent creativity, and creating beauty is the highest expression of that.

maybe but 200 windmills in one location is rather ugly on its own

So until we get control of cats, BP should be allowed to dump as much oil as they wish

indeed

the MNDNR has a saying for cats in the wild

3s

shoot em

shovel em

scoot

Hey Stephanie is right

You eat chicken and turkey don't you?

That kills more birds than BP did with their "tiny" little oil spill. STOP picking on BP

New Topics

Forum List

Back