Wind Farms Increase Warming?

A new study by a pair of Harvard researchers published in the journal Joule find that more wind power could increase warming, first regionally, then globally.

They find that wind farms could warm the surface of the US by 0.24C.

The mechanism for this is thatwsnd turbines generate electricity by extracting energy from the air. This slows down wind and in other ways alters the exchange of heat, moisture, and momentum between the surface and the atmosphere. In short, unintended consequences.

There are complaints by some that the models used to determine this have problems. Of course, if you are a warmer, you can't really use this complaint in defense of your position on wind since you believe so heavily in models which are fraught with problems for the very warming scenario by which you endorse wind in the first place. Problematic models don't seem to be an issue for you.

Wide-scale US wind power could cause significant warming

So I am wondering what you wind warriors think of this. You don't seem to care that wind turbines could drive raptors to extinction...you don't seem to be bothered by the effect on bats and migratory birds. How do you feel about wind if it causes more warming?

Could the windfarms reverse the Earth's rotation?

View attachment 221629
?????????????????????????????????????? LOL

A new study by a pair of Harvard researchers published in the journal Joule find that more wind power could increase warming, first regionally, then globally.

The mechanism for this is thatwsnd turbines generate electricity by extracting energy from the air. This slows down wind and in other ways alters the exchange of heat, moisture, and momentum between the surface and the atmosphere. In short, unintended consequences.

There are complaints by some that the models used to determine this have problems. Of course, if you are a warmer, you can't really use this complaint in defense of your position on wind since you believe so heavily in models which are fraught with problems for the very warming scenario by which you endorse wind in the first place. Problematic models don't seem to be an issue for you.

So I am wondering what you wind warriors think of this. You don't seem to care that wind turbines could drive raptors to extinction...you don't seem to be bothered by the effect on bats and migratory birds. How do you feel about wind if it causes more warming?
Did you read the article in full? You might want to go back and read it again. It quotes a short term possible issue and long term gain in the fight against climate change.
There is no long term gain... Inside 5 years most of these monsters in Wyoming will be piles of scrap.
Kinda funney how we have had them running around here for over ten years. You are full of shit and according to the OP article you are full of shit.
I am consulted before any maintenance is done on any piece of equipment. You don't have a clue what their down time is or how often they need major rework... Its pretty damn often. When the subsidies go away, these monsters crash and burn inside 5 years..
How many more asinine claims are you going to make on this board concerning your 'expertise'? A burger flipper is what you are and all that you will ever be. No one as ignorant as you would ever be consulted on the maintenance of a complicated piece of machinery.

Did you read the article in full? You might want to go back and read it again. It quotes a short term possible issue and long term gain in the fight against climate change.
There is no long term gain... Inside 5 years most of these monsters in Wyoming will be piles of scrap.
Kinda funney how we have had them running around here for over ten years. You are full of shit and according to the OP article you are full of shit.
I am consulted before any maintenance is done on any piece of equipment. You don't have a clue what their down time is or how often they need major rework... Its pretty damn often. When the subsidies go away, these monsters crash and burn inside 5 years..
How many more asinine claims are you going to make on this board concerning your 'expertise'? A burger flipper is what you are and all that you will ever be. No one as ignorant as you would ever be consulted on the maintenance of a complicated piece of machinery.

A wind turbine a complicated piece of machinery? Get the fuck out of here. They have been making damn windmill blades for over 800 years (probably the only thing complicated about them)

Flow-Diagram-of-a-Wind-Turbine-System-Here-1-Wind-Turbine-Converts-wind-energy-into.png

What is the bottom line? Can I now stop burning tires to cook My spotted owl or should I keep on keeping on?

Wind's overall environmental impacts are surely less than fossil energy.

Furthermore, the study is based on 100% of the electricity in the US being supplied with wind power. That will never happen.

Any connection between the effects of wind power being less and the fact that it's not widely used and incapable of supplying our energy needs?

Surely the effects of anything you don't use is going to be less than the effects of something useful.

`
I have two, 5 kW wind turbines plus solar panels. I can go off the grid permanently. I also own two Tesla "Powerwall" batteries and will be buying two more. Going on to three years now. No complaints, outside a few dead seagulls which I otherwise will shoot anyways.

`
I have two, 5 kW wind turbines plus solar panels. I can go off the grid permanently. I also own two Tesla "Powerwall" batteries and will be buying two more. Going on to three years now. No complaints, outside a few dead seagulls which I otherwise will shoot anyways.

Sure you can when you have LOTS of money.

Notice you left out the ECONOMICS, which is why most people don't do it.

On an individual basis, wind and solar can be expensive. On the utility scale, both are less expensive than fossil fuels right now. And that is without figuring in the health externalities involved in using fossil fuels.

`

As long as you do not live in Ohio you can have solar panels also. There are programs out there where you pay half of what your electricity bill was on average till the panels and battery bank are payed off. If you live on a farm and have a great deal of manure sitting around there are similar programs for bladders and bacteria which produce methane for electricity generation. Of course you need a shit load of animals for this to make sense for you. Most of the large chicken and turkey farms around here have them and are no longer paying electricity bills.

`

As long as you do not live in Ohio you can have solar panels also. There are programs out there where you pay half of what your electricity bill was on average till the panels and battery bank are payed off. If you live on a farm and have a great deal of manure sitting around there are similar programs for bladders and bacteria which produce methane for electricity generation. Of course you need a shit load of animals for this to make sense for you. Most of the large chicken and turkey farms around here have them and are no longer paying electricity bills.
And even if you are a small farmer, forming an energy coop with others like you makes sense. This is being done in Germany with very good results.

`

A friend installed solar on an east facing roof in Tacoma, Washington. He has had the system up and running now for 9 months. Says at the present rate, his payback period will be just over 3 years.

Sure you can when you have LOTS of money.Notice you left out the ECONOMICS, which is why most people don't do it.
`
True. I've over $40,000 invested in this. I'll never make back that money through but that was never my intention. I can go completely off the grid. It's called being energy self-sufficient. I actually built a separate building that is a walk in freezer I charge people to use. Having my own power has come in handy hundreds of times.

Last edited:
`
Exactly. A lot of the farmers around here have seen what I did and they are getting their own wind turbines and solar panels.

Wind's overall environmental impacts are surely less than fossil energy.

Furthermore, the study is based on 100% of the electricity in the US being supplied with wind power. That will never happen.

Any connection between the effects of wind power being less and the fact that it's not widely used and incapable of supplying our energy needs?

Surely the effects of anything you don't use is going to be less than the effects of something useful.

There is no connection with the amount of usage because the author is comparing the two modes of energy generation on a per-kilowatt basis.

Forum List

Back